Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #1

1962 19' Globetrotter
Bremerton , Washington
Pricing help!

I may be purchasing a 61 bambi. The seller wants 8000 firm. It is not in any condition to use and both inside and out need work. Also the appliances dont look like they have been run in years. Is this a fair price? The one redeeming quality is that 90% of the body looks really good, and it doesnt appear to have been left out to rot. The way I read the pricing guide, this thing is only worth 5500 or am I wrong?

What have others paid for a bambi?

Thanks
WeeWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

If you want a Bambi you will have to pay unless you get a lucky break and the seller does not know what they have, the rarity and desirability makes them a hot item.
I would say that the 61-63 Bambi is one of the most coveted Airstream's there is.
Post pictures
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWa
I may be purchasing a 61 bambi. The seller wants 8000 firm. It is not in any condition to use and both inside and out need work. Also the appliances dont look like they have been run in years. Is this a fair price? The one redeeming quality is that 90% of the body looks really good, and it doesnt appear to have been left out to rot. The way I read the pricing guide, this thing is only worth 5500 or am I wrong?

What have others paid for a bambi?

Thanks
It all depends how bad you want it.If you bought it , in a few months you might have found a better deal.look up what it is going to cost to repair the unit. does it need axels. is there soft spots any where, how are the tires? window seals any dents or clear coat comming off. I don't mean to scare you but take a hard look at the unit and figure what it will cost to bring it to your expectations. U se the search button andget an idea on this. there is a lot ofsubjucts on rebuilds.
Bob
Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
WeeWa,

I purchased my Bambi back in 1999. I paid 4,300 for it. At that time I had also seen a Pristine Bambi for 8000. Could't afford that up front. HA! If I knew then what I know now. Also found one for 6k plus NOT in pristine condition. I don't even know if the plumbing worked.

It turned out that there was no plumbing in mine and I ended up redoing almost the entire trailer. I still think the price was right, however.

If the body is good in and out, (check the axle) then start doing the subtraction math from 8,000. Present that to the seller. Regardless of anything else, as stated by others, if you want it, get it. Just make sure how bad you want it because it will cost you another 5,000 to get it the way you want it.

I wouldn't sell mine for all the tea in China!
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGypsy
WeeWa,

I purchased my Bambi back in 1999. I paid 4,300 for it.
Seller wanted 5,000
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #6

1962 19' Globetrotter
Bremerton , Washington
Thank you everyone for your reply! We decided it was too much ( the guy had six Bambi's, all $8000-$8500 firm, didn't know about the heaters, appliances etc.) the outsides were good and polished, but the insides each had there own problems (2 with rotton floors, changed floor plan only has a twin bed, door needed replaced, etc. all had something to fix on the outside. We found a 1962 Globe Trotter for $3500 and bought that, needs alot a work but we are happy with the purchase! Thanks, Sheree
WeeWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Last fall at a trailer rally a fellow had a very early '50s Bambi for sale. It was polished beautifully. The inside was ALL orginal but a little worn. He wanted $13,500 for it. I commented that I thought it was a bit much. He justified the price by saying it as ALL original. I don't believe the Bambi ever shined like this one did new. If the selling point was it's 'orginal' condition.........

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote