Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Interior Polishing

Seems like I have seen a thread on polishing the interior, but cannot find them now

Does anybody have experience stripping and polishing interiors of a 1963 ?

I am going to be largely shut down for the winter, until temps warm up. I was not planning on polishing the interior. But now I am wondering if I can take off a few panels as a time, bring them inside the garage where its warm, clamp them to a sheet of plywood, and do a few at a time, to make some progress during the winter.

Seems like the best approach is to polish with the panels installed. But would like something to do this winter to make progress. Do you the the minor amount of heat involved in polishing will warp the pieces and make them not fit when reinstalled?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
i'm thinking that the curved interior end panels are fiberglass--about 1/2 up the wall to the ceiling. don't know why they did that, but they did, at least in our 1961. take a cover off an outlet and look, or somehow check it....
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I will jump in and state some points to think about..

First, your end caps are fiberglass on 1960 and newer except for bambi, so if you do decide to polish the interior the end caps will need to be striped and painted!

Second, I have found it is way easier and simply remove the interior panels and replace the zolitoned (painted) aluminum with new un painted pieces. It takes hours and hours to strip and when your done you will find that most of the striped panels have major dings and scrapes that you can not get out! I feel airstream used many damaged panels on the interior because they knew it would be coved up and it was away to salvage the panel instead of scraping it. I have found three panels that had bondo that was put on by the factory before painting.

Third, You have to ask yourself this question... Do you want a peewee fun house effect in your trailer? I ask this because it will look like a house of mirrors! The CCD trailers are more of a mill finish, I personally love the look, I personally can not stand the fully polished mirror look in the interior of the trailer.

Forth, the easiest way to this type of project is when the interior is fully out! Are you going to pull the entire interior out of the trailer?

In any case its a lot of work....Food for thought .... Good luck
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I will jump in and state some points to think about..

First, your end caps are fiberglass on 1960 and newer except for bambi, so if you do decide to polish the interior the end caps will need to be striped and painted!

Second, I have found it is way easier and simply remove the interior panels and replace the zolitoned (painted) aluminum with new un painted pieces. It takes hours and hours to strip and when your done you will find that most of the striped panels have major dings and scrapes that you can not get out! I feel airstream used many damaged panels on the interior because they knew it would be coved up and it was away to salvage the panel instead of scraping it. I have found three panels that had bondo that was put on by the factory before painting.

Third, You have to ask yourself this question... Do you want a peewee fun house effect in your trailer? I ask this because it will look like a house of mirrors! The CCD trailers are more of a mill finish, I personally love the look, I personally can not stand the fully polished mirror look in the interior of the trailer.

Forth, the easiest way to this type of project is when the interior is fully out! Are you going to pull the entire interior out of the trailer?

In any case its a lot of work....Food for thought .... Good luck

i disagree on that:

our airstream is a 1961 bambi, #3 out of california. the end caps are fiberglass, 1/2 way up the wall to the ceiling. that's a fact. it would pay to look at that area first....

don
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have a 1964 Bambi II and the interior is entirely aluminum. Like they said....check before you do anything rash!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Don you are very much correct! Bambi is the exception to the rule in many ways even end caps! My point being is that 1960 Globe Trotters and larger trailers are stuck with fiberglass only end caps... Bambi and Bambi II seam to be the exception to this rule! My guess is that are not the same shape... I think because of the floor layout, and extra headroom is needed and windows are not the same height due to counter height?!?!

If your lucky to have aluminum end caps most would say your on the lucky side of the coin...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Another exception here, 1960 Sovereign no fiberglass end caps. I'll second the concept that stripping the flat interior skins reveals more than just shiny Alclad...
Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Lots of variations to the rule. I had 2 - 58 overlanders, one with aluminum end caps one with fiberglass.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wonder if the Wally Bee had fiberglass end caps. It would be fitting for an all fiberglass trailer to have aluminum interior end caps....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
I started stripping my interior to polish and found a number of panels are anodized gold??? You never know what you will find..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-991593367.png
Views:	138
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	145968  
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
See post #771 http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-38289-56.html

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Sparks , Nevada
We did it

We stripped and polished the inside of our 61 bambi. It was a lot of work but everyone pitched in and we had some fun. Once you put all of the furniture and curtains back in and paint the fiberglass endcaps, there's relatively little aluminum left showing. It's not perfect but we love it. Lots of phots of Sunnie from beginning to now on my facebook page, including of stripping. Albums by Julia Ratti | Facebook
jratti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Our 63 end caps are fiberglass, if you have the storage compartment up front that's an easy way to check.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
longmont , Colorado
61 bambi-first one, fiberglass end caps...
jimshaner@ms is offline   Reply With Quote