Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
How hard to find a furnace and front window for a 1963 Bambi?

Thinking of buying a 1963 Bambi that has been neglected for several years. ( see newest member asking the oldest question)

The owner said that it has no furnace. How hard is it to find something like that ?

Also, a comment on the pics in my original post stated that the AC was not original, I doubt I will use AC much, how hard will it be to replace the front window?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
You can buy a new Suburban furnace, catalytic heater, etc, that's no problem, not special to Airstream Bambi, except shipping to AK is killer. I just junked a 64 Bambi fridge, sorry, again, buy a new one.

Is window frame there? I bought used Airstream parts from a guy near Potter Valley a few years back, he had a few doors etc.

Expect ANY plumbing might be shot. I've had water pipes break, AFTER winterizing.

If you really want a Bambi, there's a MUCH nicer 63-64 Bambi in the Fort Rich RV storage area that hasn't moved for at least 6 years I know of.

You might check into to ownership through MWR. There's also 2 WWII White Motors Half Tracks!

There's an Overlander sitting near Willow.
A 22' Travel Lux in Calgary.

I drove outside to lower 48, purchased '64 Safari in Illinois for $5K and towed back up to avoid such a "project". You may embrace it.

Air Conditioner?? What's that??

Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
I think it is the challenge to resurrect something that is neglected. Frankly the only thing holding me back, is that I am just not sure how much I would use it after I was done fixing it up !!!!

Probably more likely I will spend more time working on it than camping in it !!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Go for it. If you like projects, they are "fun" to work on.

Read posts here to check frame, axle, etc.
These guys are great source for help.

They can be a money pit. How about a nice Piper Super Cub?

Bambi would be great for weekend trips down the Kenai, up to Denali etc. Longer trips, 2 or more people, consider a Safari/Overlander etc.

They are simple, 1960 technology, no need to make it "all original" unless you want to....then you'll have problem finding AS parts in town.

Another Bambi I haven't seen move in years in Eagle River neighborhoods.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Can y'all box up and ship me one or two of those Bambi's to SC for me please! Smile, but if you would I would pay for them.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Just an FYI, the early Bambi didn't come with air conditioning at all. Where is the air conditioner located on the trailer?
The '63 also didn't come with a converter or a way to charge the battery, so you'll have to install one to keep the battery up while it's plugged in. If you do that, I think I would ditch the air conditioner and install a nice, basic Fantastic Vent or Maxx Air vent.
For the fridge, you will have two (or 3) options, since there really isn't a direct replacement for yours. Option 1 would be to get a modern RV fridge, and raise the counter so it will clear (your options are too tall or too short). Option 2 would be to install a fridge designed for a small camper, like a pop-up. It will be much smaller than what should be there, and most of them don't have a freezer compartment. The plus on this is you won't have to modify the counters. You'll also have some additional storage space over the top of the smaller fridge. This is what I did on a '63 Bambi that came in needing a fridge.
Option 3 is to get a 120 volt dorm fridge that will fit in the hole. I can see problems from doing that, but it has the virtue of being cheapest, and probably easiest to do.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
The AC was an aftermarket installation in place of the front window. I would much rather have the day light from the window, and posted the question to gauge how difficult it would be to restore the front window
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
The AC was an aftermarket installation in place of the front window. I would much rather have the day light from the window, and posted the question to gauge how difficult it would be to restore the front window
As long as the window and mechanism for it is still on the property, it would be fairly easy to replace it. Even if the glass is broken, and you still have the frame, you can get a new window, it's only regular glass.

Tags