Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Does Anyone Know of A Bambi for Sale in Arizona ?

Hello,
I am new to the forum and to Airstreams. I am looking for a Bambi, or similar trailer, I would prefer it to be 17-20 feet, a 22 at biggest. Does anyone know of one in good condition and at a reasonable price in the Arizona or Southern California area ?? I would prefer a classic older one but, if it was a later one that would be fine as well. Any input and information about the Bambi's (pros and cons etc) would be great as I don't really know much about them.

Regards,
Steve
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Steve...welcome to the Airforums! There are several forum members in the Phx metro area and several in the Tucson area as well...and others throughout AZ...

Don't know of a Bambi or vintage smaller trailer available off the top of my head, but check out the classifieds here...

Also check out the sub formus on Bambis other smaller trailers to see what folks say about them...

The size of trailer you get really depends on how you want to use it and how many folks are going to be camping in it...we really like the 19' Bambi SE...good size for use (2) and 2 medium dogs...we like small spaces, though... Good to tow, able to go into just about any park or campground without length problems. Some don't like the corner bed in the newer 19' and others don't like the combined grey & black water holding tanks of the newer 16' Bambis...we are fine with the bed... One thing you should know is that newer Airstreams are heavier than older ones, so that may be a consideration.

There's a Four Corners Unit New Year's Rally at Picacho Peak State Park between Phx and Tucson...I'm sure they'd be happy to have you come by and check out the treailers...look at the bottom of the "portal" page for a link to that thread for deatils. (We're goinna miss that one, dang.)

Ask any specific quations you may have and there will be answers in no time...

Git on...git on down the road! See ya there!
TB

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Hello T.B.
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the input and information. I would like to be a sponge and soak up as much information as I can get as I am totally new to the game so to speak. I think a small one sounds like a good fit to me because I want it to be very mobile and I want to be able to get around with ease.

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic S/O
Juneau , Alaska
I saw a Bambi set up at "The Lakes RV & Golf Resort" in Chowchilla, Californa that had never been used. It was in perfect condition and looked kinda sad, because it was a Christmas gift last year. I was told, that the wife was not interested. Understand, that this guy purchased the space, too. Nice resort very clean. The number is 559-665-6814 Sales office for The Lakes RV & Golf Resort. Hope this helped you in some way. Have a Merry Christmas.

2004 King Ranch F-350
Classic LTD 2005 34 with slide

You may plan your journeys but God is incharge of your steps
judithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Fry
Hello,
I am new to the forum and to Airstreams. I am looking for a Bambi, or similar trailer, I would prefer it to be 17-20 feet, a 22 at biggest. Does anyone know of one in good condition and at a reasonable price in the Arizona or Southern California area ?? I would prefer a classic older one but, if it was a later one that would be fine as well. Any input and information about the Bambi's (pros and cons etc) would be great as I don't really know much about them.

Regards,
Steve
Phoenix, AZ
have a 1957 primo coach for $500. every option. k.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
We found our first Airstream (many years ago) on the Vintage Airstream Classified ads-- The Vintage Airstream Club.
When we sold it a few months ago, we used Craigslist. We found our current Airstream on Ebay. You have to keep checking, all the time, and the one you are looking for will pop up! Good Luck.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
have a 1957 primo coach for $500. every option. k.
Don't believe him. There's no hot tub in that coach!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you guys for all of your information so far. I have a few questions. Is there a difference in years in regards to quility of manufacturing etc?? Is there a particular year range (old vs. new) etc. quality wise, construction etc? Are the underbelly of the trailers metal or wood ?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Steve, that's all subjective information. If you search through the forums you'll find a lot of threads dealing with those debates.

Except for the bottoms of the trailers, which all have an aluminum "belly pan."

The "true" Bambis were only made for 3 years. I have a '62 & it's a fantastic little trailer. They're too small to have anything go wrong with them.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
The "true" Bambis were only made for 3 years. I have a '62 & it's a fantastic little trailer. They're too small to have anything go wrong with them.
I'd have to disagree with that! I had a '63 Bambi with a spare tire and ammo cans on the rear and it had rear frame separation issues, something you normally wouldn't see in such a short trailer, but all that weight on the back bumper apparently did the damage.

Any vintage trailer needs to be inspected very carefully, and if you have a chance to look at several, do it. You'll learn more every time you look at one. Most of your learning will probably come after you buy your first though! Mine was beautiful and usable, but I still ended up doing a floor repacement in it. If they're old, they will probably need something done. So long as you're prepared for that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
well yeah, i recommend against adding a bunch of junk or weight to the back of any trailer.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yeah, a lot of people seem to think that will be fine, but after having that Bambi I'm convinced that is NOT a good idea!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Especially since many of us with small trailers are using lighter TVs.

As you can see, Steve, you have a lot of research ahead of you.

Let's hope I won't again be going out on a limb to say that, with a smaller, simpler (read: older) trailer, you will have less to muck around with than, say, a 32-footer with slideouts. One axle is cheaper to replace than two; 16 feet of polishing takes less elbow grease than 26 feet.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Summerkid & Stefrobrts,
Thank you both for the additional info. I have been into classic cars for quite a while so I know exactly what you guys are speaking of when talking about who there is always work to be done on a vintage one that is for sure!! I know with a car sometimes you can get lucky and have one that treats you very well with little problems, or you can get one that is always needing constant work. I certainly would like to avoid that with a little trailer if at all possible. I am aming for complete simplicity, useability, and reliability, in a small package etc.

What separates (besides the look of them) Airstreams from other vintage trailers quility wise ?

Are the small trailers from the early to late 80's still of good quality ?
Thanks,
Steve