Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Marshall.

The serial number range for the 1962 Bambi's are 16TSS1848 to 16TSS1880.

We have the serial number records for some of the older production.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
If you have it I would love to see the 1963 Bambi serial number range.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
RichardT

The 1963 Bambi serial numbers started with 1881 and ended with 1975.

Andy

Old 12-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

More questions for Andy

Quote:
RichardT

The 1963 Bambi serial numbers started with 1881 and ended with 1975.

Andy
Thank you Andy, but I am curious what the Ohio numbers were if you have that info as my unit is 163T200 and I am curious what number it was off the line in 63.
RichardT
PS: While we are at it what was the original angle of the Dura tourque axle on the 1963 Bambi?
I found the original axle rating at 2500 pounds posted on the Lifetime Warrenty card in the closet.
And What were the original size tires? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
RichardT

I do not have the Ohio serial number books.

The original, but inadequate starting angle of the axle was 20 degrees.

Likewise the original 2500 pound rating proved inadequate.

Also the lifetime warranty did not cover the axle.

I don't know what size tires on that model as Airstream used both 4 and 5 lug wheels.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
RichardT

I do not have the Ohio serial number books.

Also the lifetime warranty did not cover the axle.

I don't know what size tires on that model as Airstream used both 4 and 5 lug wheels.
You are awsome!
What angle and rating would you suggest for a new Henschen axle?

My wheels are the 5 lug 4 1/2" pattern and 13 inch
Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
RichardT

If you wish to change from the original, then you must order a complete axle.

But before you can do that, we must have all of it's related dimensions, such as axle mounting plate to axle mounting plate, the overall length of the axle, and exactly, by drawing faxed to us, of how the present axle fits withing the wheel well, and all of it's related dimensions.

Without that information, you will be guessing, which can only result in disappointment.

With that information, we can help you get a new axle, with an increase in ratings, angles etc, along with changing the wheels to 14 inch, to increase the weight carrying capacity of the trailer. Depending on the dimensions, a 15 inch wheel may also work.

13" wheels are rated at 1360 pounds each, making them inadequate.

Andy
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
RichardT
13" wheels are rated at 1360 pounds each, making them inadequate.
Andy
Could you please clarify? This trailer came with 13 inch wheels.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More 1963 16' Bambi data

RichardT: The 1963 16' Bambi weighed 1865 pounds (likely dry) and had a 200 pound hitch weight. Tires were 6.50 X 13 4 ply white sidewalls. I am not an engineer, but it would seem a 2500 pound capacity axle and 1360 pound rated wheels (2720 pounds together) were within reasonable specifications for a Bambi in 1963. However, as Andy suggests, time and experience may have proved those initial engineering/build specifications to be inadequate.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 12-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

There is alot being said here without saying alot.

Are you saying that the current capacity will not be enough, even if I do not overload my trailer?

If they were within reasonable specifications for a Bambi in 1963, What has changed to make them not reasonable today?

Is there some margin of safety that needs to be calculated into the tires or wheels rating that remains unsaid?

1360 pound rated wheels , 2720 pounds together exceeds the axle capacity by nearly 10%

Where is the problem?

I am not questioning the validity of your statments, but wish to learn more as to why what you say is accurate.

Also I am not oppossed to a wheel swap if needed, although I would rather stick with original if at all possible.

What is the 14" size that would fit properly without alteration to the wheel wells?

Also Fred, do you have any copies of the Bambi owners manuals available?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
There is alot being said here without saying alot. That's my professionalism showing through.

Are you saying that the current capacity will not be enough, even if I do not overload my trailer? No, Andy is the one who suggests the original axle and wheel specifications are inadequate.

If they were within reasonable specifications for a Bambi in 1963, what has changed to make them not reasonable today? I'm not arguing the original specifications are, or are not, adequate for use today. That's Andy suggestion, which I'm simply acknowledging in my reply where I report the original 1963 data.

Is there some margin of safety that needs to be calculated into the tires or wheels rating that remains unsaid? I'm not an engineer so don't know.

1360 pound rated wheels, 2720 pounds together exceeds the axle capacity by nearly 10% Where is the problem? Ask Andy.

I am not questioning the validity of your statments, but wish to learn more as to why what you say is accurate. My data comes from the 1963 Airstream full line sales catalog, so I assume the data is reasonably accurate as marketing data (as opposed to pure engineering data).

Also I am not oppossed to a wheel swap if needed, although I would rather stick with original if at all possible. What is the 14" size that would fit properly without alteration to the wheel wells? I don't own a Bambi and don't know, so ask Andy or some Bambi owners.

Also Fred, do you have any copies of the Bambi owners manuals available? Forrest McClure is now the VAC Librarian, and he should have a collection of Bambi materials available for sale to VAC members. I don't think he posts here, but you should be able to reach him via the VAL List.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Thank you Fred.
I just want to say I asked the questions with a smile.

I really enjoy these forums but once in a while I read my, or someone elses post the next day and wonder if it is read as intended as a humble question or with a different tone applied to it that was unintended, making it sound like something it is not.

Moving on -

If anyone can answer my questions with a more detailed answer I would appriciate it.
My main objective is to keep the trailer original but to allow modification if needed to remain safe.

Thank you
RichardT
Old 12-10-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
1964 Bambi II

RichardT:

FWIW, the 1964 17' Bambi II used 7:50 x 14 four ply white side wall tires on 14 inch wheels. It weighted 1950 pounds with a 250 pound hitch weight. The body was lengthened a foot in 1964, hence the "Bambi II" name, but this smallest trailer kept its narrow width (around 78 inches compared to around 84 inches for all larger tailers). What I don't know is whether the wheel wells were also enlarged in 1964 to accomodate the slightly larger tires? Perhaps some Bambi owners will chime in with what size tires they have installed on their 1961-63 Bambis and 1964 Bambi IIs. There's nothing like practical field experience (as opposed to the book learning I post) to provide a useful answer.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Question Andy Help!

Quote:
RichardT

RichardT,

Perhaps Inland Andy can expound on these inadequacies a bit – it sounds like that is the origin of your questions/concerns.

Regards,
Henry
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
RichardT

Keeping an Airstream "original" is not necessarily a great idea.

We "learn", in time, how to improve them, for many many reasons.

Safety is always an issue, along with safety margins, load carrying capacities and the like.

If you wish to keep the trailer original, that is certainly your choice.

If you wish to update or upgrade it, as most owners chose to do, then that becomes a different matter.

To answer your questions, in detail, for us, is time prohibitive.

We all know, that the product that Airstream builds today, engineering wise, is far removed from those of 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 years ago.

The idea most owners wish to follow, is to keep the coach "basically the same", but to upgrade and/or improve running gear, appliance, and other systems to todays standards.

In time, history proves what may or may not need to be improved. An Airstream is a product that should be upgraded, with the application of new technology, especially when it comes to safety. That's simply fact, and, good sense.

Tow vehicles today are a far cry from yesteryear. Same reasoning applies.

But once again, each owner can do as they wish.

Our facility stays extremely busy, year round, upgrading and improving the original Airstream designs. The biggest reason, is "SAFETY", followed by convenience, etc.

That safety is for you, your family, and the general public. We all know, that our judicial systems today, favors the injured party, regardless of reason.

We all know that a 14" wheel is better than a 13" wheel, and a 15" is better than a 14". Five lug wheels are better than 4 lug wheels and 6 lug wheels are better than 5 lug wheels. A larger capacity axle, within reason, is highly desired.

Records clearly show, that Airstream, in time, increased the axle capacity on almost every same length trailer.

Why?

Safety and performance, that was dictated by history and technology.

Andy