Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
To answer your questions, in detail, for us, is time prohibitive.
Perhaps you could provide me with the cost to get the information I require before I buy the axle. I would like to benifet from the experiance you have and if need be I am willing to pay you for it.

The info I would like to buy is as follows.

1. What weight rating would be suitable to replace the original 2500 pound rating.

2. What starting angle would be suitable to replace the 20% starting angle.

I thank you for giving me the original specifications I asked for in a previous post, but you left me to ponder what would be the adequate dimentions.

All of my current questions are regarding an Ohio built 1963 Bambi.

Thank you again.
RichardT

Quote:
The original, but inadequate starting angle of the axle was 20 degrees.

Likewise the original 2500 pound rating proved inadequate.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
RichardT

That information is proprietary, and is only shared with someone that places a "confirmed order".

By contract, we are not permited to publish or post those specs.

There are other questions, depending on the answers, that also dictate starting angles, weight ratings, shock bracket mountings, etc.

Andy

Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Andy
I understand completely, I had no idea things had changed since may of this year when you posted this - http://www.airforums.com/forum...47-post55.html
Please accept my sincere apology for requesting proprietary information, it was not my intent to ask you to do anything improper.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Richard...

I think if you go with a 22.5 degree axle, and 3500 rating, you should be fine. Too stiff, and you'll bounce your trailer all around (I see U Haul's doing the freeway boogie when unloaded all the time! )

Again, I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Express!
Marc
Old 12-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
RichardT

We must thank our lawyers and the judicial systems, of what they are, for many changes.

We are under a contract, that we must comply with. If we do not, then we are in violation of an agreement. Hello attorneys.

A word of advice though, a 3500 pound axle will "kill" your Bambi.

In that old post, weight ratings are one thing, angles and the like are something different.

Usually, the only time someone may want "exact" specs, is when they want to source that item from someone other than the original manufacturer.

If an order for an axle is placed by someone, they are rarely interested in specs, but they are interested in a properly rated and constructed axle.

But, each axle manufacturer has their construction methods, for their particular purposes.

Andy
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Wink Long answer for short question

RichardT,

If you read between the lines, the 2500# axle is inadequate and the 3500# will “kill your Bambi” (sounds like a movie I saw as a kid) . I would have to surmise that a 3000# axle might be the hot ticket.

Just two cents from a retired Axleman.

Happy Holidays,
Henry
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

I have done my homework and I have come up with the answers to my questions on my own.
I will let you know how it turns out, it may be a while before I order my axle.
Thank you
RichardT

PS: I would share the info with you, but then I am afraid I would have to ---- you.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 PM   #22
Lee Addis

Hello: I have a 61 Bambi #63 mnf in Santa Fe Springs. I also have a 67 Caravel which is like new. The Bambi needs some tlc as sit was owned by the same owner for 40 years and then left sitting in Phoenix. Everything is original and the body and belly is in good shape. There is some dimpleing on the rear roof and two minor cuts in the skin front & rear at the bottoms. I cant seem to get the original propane refigerator to light up, so do I need to get the lines blown out or something? Also, it has the original roof=vent fiberglass cover which is sun-worn and needs replaced. Does anyone know whre I can get a new roof vent cover? I also need to replace the original propane bottles as I cant get them filled because of their age. I dont know why I got this 61 Bambi becaue we use only the 67 Caravel. Would anyone be interested in buying this Bambi? Write to Lee Addis at herethere@wildapache.net. Thanks for information anyway
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Wink Classifieds

Lee,

Your unit is very desirable. Why not list it in the forum classifieds? This is the place.

Happy Holidays,
Henry
Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Andy R.
Just curios as to what is hanging beneath the rear of the trailer in your first picture? It looks like a set of wheelie bars?
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
RichardT
We must thank our lawyers and the judicial systems, of what they are, for many changes.
We are under a contract, that we must comply with. If we do not, then we are in violation of an agreement. Hello attorneys.
A word of advice though, a 3500 pound axle will "kill" your Bambi.
In that old post, weight ratings are one thing, angles and the like are something different.
Usually, the only time someone may want "exact" specs, is when they want to source that item from someone other than the original manufacturer.
If an order for an axle is placed by someone, they are rarely interested in specs, but they are interested in a properly rated and constructed axle.
But, each axle manufacturer has their construction methods, for their particular purposes.
Andy
I have spent some time coming up with answers to my questions and am confident I have come up with The rating and starting angle tire size etc... for my own needs on the 1963 Bambi I plan to replace the axle on.

That being said I found during my reasearch (which included past forum posts) this dated 5-11-2005
http://www.airforums.com/forum...18-post32.html
which has this quote in it:

"Therefore upgrading the load carrying capacity 10 to perhaps 15 percent maximum, on the earlier models is OK, and recommended as per Henschen."

If this is recommended by Henschen, how and why was I told by their only distributor for Airstream axles that the information was proprietary?

Why would anyone want to keep this information a secret? (It is odvious why).

Also for people considering new axles I came up with this info from Dexter axle which will be helpfull

http://www.primotrailersales.com/ima...n%20Manual.pdf

It is an application guide for torsion axles and has good information and even a wheel rating chart.

(I am not recommending Dexter or any other torsion axle manufacture with this link, it is just good usefull information.)

RichardT

Ps:
This is after all "The Airstream Knowledege Sharing Forums" is it not?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:16 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Nice Job Richard!

Richard T,

Nice job on doing the research.

I agree that “obvious” is the correct word. It is always better to shoot straight. Eventually the truth comes out – always.

Dexter makes a fine product, not to mention about 100 times as many axles, per year, as Henschen. I bet if you call Dexter – they will share this so called “proprietary” information at will.

In my past days at Axis – I would have. But then again, like yourself “I’m a straight shooter”

Great post partner,
Henry
Old 12-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

http://www.henschenaxle.com/non-oem-inquiries.htm

By the way should anyone want a Henschen axle the above link says this:

If you have a 1980 or Older Airstream or Argosy RV and
need to research, replace or order axles or special parts,
please visit:
www. inlandrv.com/parts

I was trying to research axles for a pre 1980 Airstream
Thanks alot.
RichardT
Old 12-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Trailer weight to axle rating ratios, 1961 to 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
I have spent some time coming up with answers to my questions and am confident I have come up with The rating and starting angle tire size etc... for my own needs on the 1963 Bambi I plan to replace the axle on. RichardT Ps: This is after all "The Airstream Knowledege Sharing Forums" is it not?
RichardT:

Excellent digging to locate and revive that May, 2005 "pre-proprietary" Henschen axle rating data for 22' Airstream trailers. Good job!

To build on that data, I have located the base weight of those 22' trailers for the years 1961 to 1966. All my weight data came from the same souce, an old "blue book" of used trailer resale values published in 1967, so it is consistent over those years. However, I think the weights given below are the base, or lowest, weight for a 22' trailer, because in some years the "park model" standard Airstream, the mid level self contained Land Yacht, and the loaded International 22 footers all have the same weight given below. So I think actual weights would have been higher and the following ratios of axle rating divided by trailer weight were actually lower for the more expensive trailers.

With that caveat, here is some more Airstream knowledge to share. The numbers given for Trailr is the base weight in pounds and the number given under Axle is the axle rating in pounds. The ratio is axle rating/trailer weight:

Year Lng Trailr Axle Ratio

1961 22' 2890 3600 1.25
1962 22' 3050 3600 1.18
1963 22' 3050 4000 1.31
1964 22' 3100 4000 1.29
1965 22' 3382 5000 1.48
1966 22' 3360 5000 1.49

These trailer base weight to axle rating ratios are applicable only to single axle trailers, not tandem axle trailers. The ratios for the latest years, 1965 and 1966, may help readers determine a target ratio to shoot for when ordering a new axle for their vintage single axle Airstream. Ratios for earlier years, 1961-1964, apparently have proven inadequate over time, suggests Inland Andy. Enjoy!

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Closed Thread