Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

X-Ref on shocks?

I have found the correct # for Bilstein Shocks for the 1993 AS and they are front: B46-1173, rear: B46-1587. Question: Are these the following the correct #s for the Monroe RV shocks for our 90s ASMH?
front: 557003, rear: 557004, steering Stabillizer: 555944.
Quote:
Monroe
The Monroe Book is confusing and I am not sure if we are P32 Chassis, Class A Motorhome Chassis Exc. Monobeam Front Suspension. To identify chassis check either the Owners Manual, Vehicle or Chassis Identification Plate.
My motorhome is at another location and I hope someone can help save me a trip. Thanks Ron
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

HI Ron,
I didn't have any numbers to go by but just a few minutes ago I ordered Bilstein shocks from eshocks.com
Full set front and rear, plus stearing stabillizer, for P30 chassis was $374 which includes reg UPS shipping.

Now I'm looking for the heavy 1 and 5/8" front sway bar and bushings. Have you got a line on those ???

HTH
Don
Old 03-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Ron, found one source for the anti-sway bar, truckperformance.com
They have a 1.5" sway bar with urethane bushings for $198.
They say there is a dramatic improvement in handling, but they are out of stock at this time.
They also have the Bilstein shock.

Don
Old 03-17-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Don, Yes, O Reillys does do the Monroe shocks so I ordered them after doing a side by side comparison with standard Monroe P30 shocks. The model numbers above that I provided are strictly RV shocks and are definitely bigger in diameter and heaver duty than P30 shocks. It says RV on the box and you can see the difference easily. In addition to larger diameter of the cylinders the rubber mounts are also of heaver construction. Mounting holes and lengths are identical to standard gas monroe P30s. I believe the reason monroe doesn't sell many RV shocks is it is so hard to read and understand their application guide. They make this model to compete with the Bilsteins but it is sure hard to find out about them. I have checked my numbers carefully and I believe and hope they are correct. I bought just the front and back with professional discount for $145 but have not installed them yet. I started to order the Bilsteins but my research so far has not justified the additional cost of the Bilsteins. The cost per shock w/discount is $35. The stabilizer cost is about the same but it is special order so I will try the others and if happy will order the stablizer. Maybe it is the rebel in me or just the cost but I was lured by the temptation of the lower price after seeing the Monroe RV shock in person. Don't count on you local O Reilly guy finding the shock in his book easily so provide him with the numbers above and he will be able to get them from the warehouse overnight. After checking the Monroe book on the shelf behind the counter the clerk says "I never knew these were available and this is the first ones I have personally sold." My trip proved to me that my unit has essentially no good shocks left. I suppose the previous owner did not notice how bad the ride had gotten so I am anxious to see the difference. Comming back from Fla I got into steady 50-60 MPH winds with additional gusts mostly right on the nose. After that experience, I swore I would not go out again with those bad shocks. If I "bounce"can help let me "bounce Bounce" know. Ron
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I think you'll be amazed at the ride and handling improvement a new set of RV shocks will provide. Replaced all six of mine this summer, got the air bags sorted out and adjusted my tire pressures correctly - it's now a different RV. Not quite the quality of a modern pusher, but certainly better than any other (non-AS) Class A I've ever driven.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote