Old 12-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Winter Woes

This winter has taken its toll on Chummy. My son and I took a trip to Canton, OH a couple weeks ago and were without water due to a water leak somewhere around the water tank. We filled the tank when we got to the campground but the pump only pumped air. I hooked up a hose to the street inlet and bleed the air and we then used the tank and pump all that night and morning. The next night we just pumped air again and this time the street inlet was froze but I broke it off trying to get the ice out. Now no way to bleed the air. I opened the cabinet under the sink and discovered several inches of water but could not locate the source of the leak so I drained the water tank. This will have to wait until it gets warmer and I can track down the leak.
last night we took a group of kids to a holiday light show in Chummy and the dash switch to the heater blower broke. This is a one piece affair that has the cable connections for the defrost and temp controls. I had tried to replace it once before but ended welding a new end to the cable attachment which could be why the switch broke. Has anyone ever replaced this switch? Without it we have no cabin heat.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Heater Cable

I have yet to replace it but my cable froze up. To get heat I opened the front and on the left side facing the motorhome, the cable attaches to the control valve that turns on the hot coolant for the heater. You can slide the cable end off the valve and set it manually. I know it is unhandy, but you will get heat that way or you can turn the heat off also.
Just look for the heater hoses and you will see see the valve. It is right in front of the passenger seat. In other words, (trying to make myself clear), it is on the right side of the motorhome over the right front wheel. Access is gained by opening the front drop down panel where you check oil and such.

Wow, that's hard to describe.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The cables are fine I fixed them last year, now the switch for the fan is broke. This has to be replaced.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Switch

Not meaning to be flippant, try Radio Shack. If they don't have it in stock, they can usually order one. Where did you get new cables?

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
The cables are fine I fixed them last year, now the switch for the fan is broke. This has to be replaced.
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing winter woes! Hope this is a quick fix….
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Switch

My browser won't allow me to edit. Is says illegal and closes the window. I may be mistaken. Do you mean the lever that slides the cable? If so, I don't have a clue where to find one.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Where did you get new cables?[/quote]

The cables came from Chrysler, seems like we have a Chrysler heater in our Motor homes. Sadly they do not manufacture the switch assembly anymore.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
The cables came from Chrysler, seems like we have a Chrysler heater in our Motor homes. Sadly they do not manufacture the switch assembly anymore.
[/quote]

You've probably thought of this, but have you tried taking the switch into a NAPA store to see if they can fix you up with something similar enough to do the job? It may not be as "pretty" as the original, but I've found NAPA to be able to provide me with something that will work almost every time.

Tim