Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Houston , Texas
Where's the air tank?

I have been reading in my MH manual that you need to find the valve coming off the air tank (for rear suspension) and drain any water build up once a month. I have searched my MH bow to stern and can't find an air tank. I have had difficulty tracing all the air hoses... is it possible that my unit has only the compressor and no tank? It is supposed to be the stock system on my 95 LY 33, and the manual talks about a tank. On the rear underneath there is the gray/black tanks on the drivers side. From the axle (single) toward the rear in the middle is a very large gas tank. There is nothing above the axle, and the only other thing between the front of the axle and the transmission is the autopark system & fluid tank.

tx-lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Benbrook , Texas
You are looking for a round cylinder about a foot in diameter and 2 to 2 and a half feet long. Mine is located inside frame rail behind entry door.Next time you see a big truck (semi) old style has the air tank visible below cab but above side box/step combo.

Whipsas270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Troy, glad you got the engine problems under control. I'm working with a similiar problem with my 79 Barth. From your description of your mh and your search, it's possible you don't have a tank. Follow from the compressor to the bags. My AS mh (older than yours) has the tank near the passenger side behind the rear tires. Good luck. joe
Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-lawman
I have been reading in my MH manual that you need to find the valve coming off the air tank (for rear suspension) and drain any water build up once a month. I have searched my MH bow to stern and can't find an air tank. I have had difficulty tracing all the air hoses... is it possible that my unit has only the compressor and no tank? It is supposed to be the stock system on my 95 LY 33, and the manual talks about a tank. On the rear underneath there is the gray/black tanks on the drivers side. From the axle (single) toward the rear in the middle is a very large gas tank. There is nothing above the axle, and the only other thing between the front of the axle and the transmission is the autopark system & fluid tank.
Airstream usually mounts the air tank, underneath the coach, very close to the tag axle.

Sometimes you will find the in line check valve at the air tank as well.

Andy
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Houston , Texas
I opened the valve on what I thought was the air horn tank under the front hood and low and behold - the rear end squatted.

It appears my unit is equipped with a very small tank mounted under the compressor. The tank is only about 6 inches in diameter and about 10 inches high. It also has a line that goes to the airhorn relay, so my one compressor supplies both the airbags and the airhorn... learn something new everyday.

Now all I have to do is find the small leak somewhere and I'll be in business. I've soaped all the lines, connections, and airbags and can't find a leak, but the rear end will drain out in about 24 hours.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I opened the valve on what I thought was the air horn tank under the front hood and low and behold - the rear end squatted.

It appears my unit is equipped with a very small tank mounted under the compressor. The tank is only about 6 inches in diameter and about 10 inches high. It also has a line that goes to the airhorn relay, so my one compressor supplies both the airbags and the airhorn... learn something new everyday.

Now all I have to do is find the small leak somewhere and I'll be in business. I've soaped all the lines, connections, and airbags and can't find a leak, but the rear end will drain out in about 24 hours.

You may not have a leak.

There is a very small brass check valve some where in that system. It should be near the compressor.

If that check valve does not fully close, then the air pressure will bleed back through the compressor, very slowly, which is what you are experiencing.

That check valve is famous for sticking.

A few dealers stock that valve.

Andy
Old 07-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the tip - That would explain why I can't find a leak. Is the check valve inline, or should it be screwed directly onto the compressor?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the tip - That would explain why I can't find a leak. Is the check valve inline, or should it be screwed directly onto the compressor?

Airstream installed it in line.

Who knows where it may be today, or even if someone removed it.

They are some what expensive, may be a good reason.

They are brass and about 1 1/2" x 3/4".

We keep them.

Andy
Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Troy,
Mine went bad in me about two years ago. I found a replacement at a local commercial truck parts store (like NAPA but for tractor trailers). I spent the better part of a day driving around looking for a replacement with no luck. Finally, based on a tip from my favorite AutoZone guy I showed up at this place ten minutes before they closed and put the valve on the counter. The guy knew exactly what it was and five minute later I had a replacement in my hands. I think it was under $30.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Smile Air tank location-

We have a 93 LH and the air tank or accumulator is located just under the air pump in the front service area. Long clynderical tank mounted upright and painted black. The Pump is just to the right of the radiator, up hi. The condensate drain petcock valve and air in and out lines come out the bottom. With the high humidity we have here in the Houston area we drain ours frequently if we have been using the coach a lot.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Troy, I too was mislead by the owners manual about the location of the air tank. For it says Quote! The air storage tanks are located between the axles. Also the printed diagram indicates its fairly large. I have seen this little air tank under the hood, but thought it was just for the air horn like you, never thought it could possibly be for both. I'am glad I'm not the only one having trouble figuring this out.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
What's located between the two axels are the two air leveling valves - I recently changed mine out to get rid on the leaking air coming from the seals around the input shafts. Now instead of bleeding down over night it takes over a week for the pressure to drop from 140# to 80# then it will set all the way down on the bumpers in the air bags in an other week.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Troy, I was wondering while you were looking for your air leak, did you find two leveling valves in the rear of your coach by the axles? From your description you have the same size air tank as I have up front, maybe our air systems are the same. I was only able to find one valve on the right side of the rear axle. My manual shows two.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
P30 MH chassis service guide PDF format-

A lot of members don't have a P30 Chassis manual for an older one like we have. I ran across this while at work last might. its identical to the hard copy we have for our coach. Click on the link and download it. Its 20 Meg. so it will take a while.

I like to share

Pat

P30 Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Manual