Old 11-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Centramatics

Hello my "Riveted Friends"!
I just got back my beloved "Bangles" after this big "surgery" on brakes etc.
Brakebooster, mastercylinder, front hoses and ALL liquids in Pump and brakesystem are now flushed and new!
I bought these parts here in Germany for an incredible price, but so i could eliminate the risk of "does not match"!
(i have a bunch of new parts here, they don't match because of "some reason"...!
Part of this repair was the install of the Centramatics, i bought a few month ago. (Thank you Bill for arranging the shipping!!!)
I have them installed on tag- and driveaxle, with the OLD tires. these tires had lot of tread left, but for sure they were not "good" (cupping?)
The front tires are brand new (Hankook AH 111, the ONLY available 8R19.5 with CE aprooval!)
I had to replace them, they were REALLY bad, because of imbalancing and "dead" shoks. (bumpy and cupped!).
While i had now front "Centramatics", the tire shop installed them with "Balancing-Sand", a very common thing here for licht trucks in Germany.
I bust had a test drive, i could not believe it!!!!
I NEVER had such a smooth and calm ride before!!!!
These balancers on the back and the new tires in front were an amazing expirience!
I DEFINITIFLY recomend Cenramatics for our "big ladies"!!!!
Due go the budget ( the brake repair was more than 3500,-€ , with 2 tires, but without (!) Centramatics!) i could not afford to buy ALL tires new now...!
I assume, i'ill "fly" ir "float", once i changed the 6 rear tires as well!
Next friday i will leave to Hamburg, i will take as much as i can nice "Germany-Airstream" pictures for you!!!
Happy Airstreaming!!!!!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Ooops!
Miss tapped!
I had NO Centramatics, of course, therefore i asked to balance the new front wheels "traditionaly" with "balancing-sand"...!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #59
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
@Roquefort

For the love of all that's holy please post in German, I'll use a translator to translate. Reading your post is like listening to my 15 year old daughter talk these days. Albiet your English is probably far better than my German, although I do know the important words, Bier, Frau, Fraulein or both and lastly Haus.

Very glad to have you on the forums.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Peter, it is nice of you to pull this order together.
I had been holding off on ordering a set for my coach. As the new front tires installed resently were a big step toward smoother running.

How ever after a few hours driving yesterday I can see a little Room for improvement and would like to add one more set to your list.

So far the biggest step toward improving the ride has been getting the drive shafts ballanced and U- joints and carrier barrings replaced. But each step so far has led to a smoother ride. It's now getting down to the little things.

I hope adding these to the front wheels brings me closer to the smooth ride!

Cheers Richard
Old 11-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #61
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Peter, it is nice of you to pull this order together.
I had been holding off on ordering a set for my coach. As the new front tires installed resently were a big step toward smoother running.

How ever after a few hours driving yesterday I can see a little Room for improvement and would like to add one more set to your list.

So far the biggest step toward improving the ride has been getting the drive shafts ballanced and U- joints and carrier barrings replaced. But each step so far has led to a smoother ride. It's now getting down to the little things.

I hope adding these to the front wheels brings me closer to the smooth ride!

Cheers Richard
we have #10 !
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Hi Isuzusweet!
I assume, your Avatar means, your rig is a Diesel...!
So, dann mal auf Deutsch, wolltest Du ja!
Ich habe hier ein kleines Vermögen ausgegeben, um meine "Bangles" fit zu machen!
Die Centramatics waren ein Top-Erfolg, ich freue mich auf die Vorderachsen!!!!
Ich bin hier komplett alleine, es gibt eine "Handvoll" Airstreams, aber ich weiss nicht wo...!
Ich bin sehr froh Euch hier alle zu treffen und "Benzingespräche" zu führen, danke für ALLE eure wertvollen Tips!!!
Wann immer einer von Euch nach Deutschland kommt und in unserer Gegend ist, seid HERZLICH WILLKOMMEN auf ein Bier und eine "Deutsche Mahlzeit"!!!!
Wer mit einem RV kommt kann gerne bei uns stehen, es gibt Wasser und Strom!
Hope your "Translator" will work now ;o) !!!!
One more thing, once installed the Centramatics on tagaxle, i had to realize the wheels look a bit like x-legs...!
I assume, the rubbers inside are tired and my tagaxle will "die" soon...!
I know, Andy from Inland RV has it brand new, just need to check if it's really the fact.
Anyhow, with the Balancers on now, we have a very smooth ride, no mire rattle and rumble in Cupboards and drawers!
By the way:
Some other important words beside "Bier", "Fräulein", "Haus" etc. are:
"Danke schön" - Thank you!
"Guten Morgen" - good morning
"Gibt es hier Wasser & Strom?" - do you have hook up for water and AC?
"Einen Kaffee bitte" - a cup if coffee please
Anyhow, normally American's are very welcome in Germany, just smile and say "howdy", then the gates go open!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #63
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Vielen Dank für die Deutschstunde Roquefort .

Obwohl die Deutschen und die Briten haben ein paar Meinungsverschiedenheiten über die Jahre hatte ich bewundere und respektiere die Stärke und Entschlossenheit Ihrer Nation . Auch wenn die Richtung Ihrer Nation nimmt , ist fraglich , sind die Deutschen ein entschlossener Feind.

Yes, my 310 has the Isuzu and I do hope you won't hold it against me for being a bloody minded Brit.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Hey Tony,
are you British???
What a funny thing, we meet here on Airforum! I kow, in Great Britain are much more "Airstreamers", than here.
Maybe we will meet once in Person, i will "honor" the British Empire then, by serving you an English Breakfast with Ham & Eggs, baked beans, sausages and tea with "a drop of milk" ) !!!!
I am a bit curious about your Diesel:
Is it really a 20mpg rig, as discribed in the Airstream folder????
My "Bangles" is such a bad "guzzler", i get here 5.5 to 6 mpg (40 litres per 100 km!), but with Gasolin...!
Next year, i will convert her to LPG, this is the only way to drive her more cost efficient.
I had to spend a "hell of cash" to rebuild here and get "fuc..." german TÜV (technical aproval), so i could not do so directly.
Anyhow, i enyoy every mile, she is worth ANY gallon she take's!
Soon i will leave to Hamburg, she will be my "Hotel", with full comfort for 4 weeks!
Ich wünsch Dir einen schönen Abend!!!!
Best, Marcus
Old 11-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wake Forest , North Carolina
Count me in for a front axle pair for me
I have an 86 345
Thanks
Dick
Ww4nc
Old 11-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #66
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Marcus

British borm, bred and raised. Moved to Canada when I was six, only to return to the UK for military service from sixteen to twenty two.

Should we ever meet I will serve you a phenomenal wiener schnitzel under a Hunter sauce with sour kraut, followed by an authentic family recipe apple strudel and my homemade Stollen bread which I always make at Christmas time. If I go back to France in 2017 for Vimy Ridge I will look you up.

As for the Mistress, the last outing I took her on I spent roughly $120 Canadian to do over 800 kms. It worked out to 18mpg (Imperial not US gallon) but the drive north was back country and very hilly. The only time I was on the motorway was the very last 2.5 hr drive home. If driving on a fairly flat motorway with no headwind and only doing 55-60mph I have no doubt she would do over 20mpg.

Below is a German act of compassion and warmth.

Man bikes grand piano to attacked Paris concert hall, plays Lennon's Imagine - Trending - CBC News

Cheers
Tony

Old 11-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #67
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Marcus

Conversion to L per 100 kms is 800 kms = $120 Canadian (84 Euro's)@.95 per L (.66 Euro's per L) bought 126L. So 126L divided by 8 (8x 100 kms)= 15.75L per 100 kms.

I will one day sit down and get an accurate feel for mileage one day.

Cheers
Tony

Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #68
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww4nc View Post
Count me in for a front axle pair for me
I have an 86 345
Thanks
Dick
Ww4nc
Dick, I sent you a private message. I committed to 10 pairs if they make a batch. All ten are taken. I would have to talk to the rep, if we can get more than 10.
For right now, I will put you on the stand-by list.
AIR #13
Old 11-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #69
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I got a few requests for making the payment, but I want to wait until we get closer to delivery. Just want to make everything goes as planned. The rep is supposed to contact me after Thanksgiving to confirm that I can get 11 pairs instead of the 10 promised.
The total will be close to 220.- after sales i have to pay and around 15.- shipping.
AIR #13
Old 11-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
I guess I'm late to this thread! I would also take a set of the vendor is interested in doing more than 10.

1982 310 motorhome 454
Henniker New Hampshire