Old 08-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Red face Wish I Had More Time

The more I think about it and read this thread, the more I wish I had an extra week or two!

I'd have all the brakes rebuilt, the engine tuned up again, and take a crowbar to everything in the interior of the motyho - remove the wall board, right down to the aluminum - and seal any possible gaps in the skin and remove and reseal the windows ...

But the main thing I would like to do is rebuild all the brakes.

So on Monday morning, I'm going to find out how long that would take. If they even have time to do it.

Thanks so much,

Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Smile On the road again!

I'm thrilled to report that after many ups and downs, one of which was so discouraging that it led to a serious conversation about selling the motyho (as I call her), the folks at Nave Motors in Novato, CA, pulled it off. Stu was able to rebuild the brakes to the other front wheel (they'd already done the first front wheel), and bleed the lines despite considerable rust, resulting in a big glob of goo finally getting pushed out the other end.

Even more amazing, he was able to connect the rusty parts to the new parts and the brakes are great now. I just hope they hold up long enough to get us to Burning Man, wherever we go after that, and safely home. Then we'll do a lot of cleaning and soul searching about the future of our RV travels.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
I'm glad to hear your up and going again.

One thing to add is brake fluid is hydroscopic and well absorb moisture. Which is why they recommend flushing the system with fresh fluid every 3-4 years. It's a commonly overlooked maintenance item.

Now on to dot 3 vs dot 4 they are compatible, dot 4 has a higher boiling point and is less common. Most brake systems well begin to fade before dot 3 starts boiling.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
These old beasts can really be disheartening at times.
I think we have all had to go thru those " I'm done with this thing " moments.

When the failure turns out to be something that should have been found and dealt with in the course of routine maintainance.
Well then it's on me. Just have to step up to the reality that these are complicated machines and require a lot of effort to cover all of there needs.

On the other hand as old as they are there are plenty of parts and that have had a lot of wear and tear, and could fail at any time. Those are the surprise breakdowns just waiting to happen.

Attention the maintenance, willingness to do comprehensive repairs to wear items, and known failure areas. Such as engine cooling systems etc is the path I'm on to having a coach that is fun to use without too much worries.
It is a long path. But so worthwhile.

Hang in there Jenniflow, have a great time at burning man. Hopefully the rest of your trip will be uncomplicated fun.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Hey Richard,
you should really start a "Classic moho owner therapy thread" 😜👍🏻!

Could never ever explain better this, than you did!
I am in the lucky position, i can fix a lot myself and if not, i can ask Peter nearly any time, once a new challenge occurs. (He is my "Airstream-Guru", his knowledge about is tremendous!!!!)
Once is asked him, if there is it "done ready "once a time"...?! As Peter told me, short & clear, after i was terribly pi.... off 👹about a -new- "little issue": "No, never!" 😄😄😄🇺🇸
But what' s all this, if you cruise away in these coolest moho's EVER build! They attrack happiness from almost every person, countless "thumbs up, people smile and wave, if you drive along.
Also these rigs "feel" so well, once on the road. (if well maintained and no "little issues" ocur...!)
They are timeless iconic pieces!

So, "Jennyflow", enjoy Burningman, please post some pictures and DO NOT SELL ...!

You will definitifly regret it!!
Best, Marcus!

(I need to check very soon the front/left wheel, there is a "strange noise" since a while...🙄!

Look at this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473109834.094060.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	270910
This is back in april 2014, once we saw our "Bangles" first time "for real", IN A REPAIRSHOP (!) in Davenport/IA, after a 15 hours flight across the ocean! 🇩🇪🇺🇸😀👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums!
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Words of wisdom

Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom! We almost sold it this week but many of our friends looked so astonished when we brought it up that we reconsidered. Then I saw these posts and that clinched it.

Burning Man is the ideal place for this coach unless or until I do a major remodel. It gave a lot of people pleasure including us.

And I never even found the Airstream camp! Maybe next year.

So all that's left is to do some camping and cleanup in Truckee and then make it home.

Pics to come!