Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Red face What brand of shock do you use on the rear of your motorhome?

I've got a '81 28' excella on P30 chasis and am pondering the rear shock. Generic low pressure gas shocks are on the rear now. They are not worn out. I don't have control or wandering issues. The rear bags work fine. I don't have the rear level seeking control system for air bags. Pump just seeks something less than 100psig and cuts off.

The issue is jarring when the rear passes over bumps. I don't like it. Yep, I know what the jarring is like when the bags are deflated and that's terrible!! I want to smooth this out.

There are intersesting shock options, assuming that's a solution option. Bilstein $75 each, KYB $38 each, Monroe RV$39 pair?

Bilstein did wonders to improve the control for the front of the P30.

I've got bilstein and KYB on BMW sport sedans as well. Definately got control improvement with those. KYB was amazing for the price.

But a motorhome and this problem, bumps is entirely different. I don't want to loose control, but soften the blows of the bumps.

Should I try a different shock? And which one?
Should I change the air pressure the rear bags inflate to?

wadda you think?
Old 07-31-2004, 05:19 AM   #2
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
and where to y'all keep your rear tire inflation at? I don't have a tag axle.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
monroe's on ebay. Leave me a set to buy if this is a good idea please. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50069
Old 07-31-2004, 06:06 AM   #4
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
monroe part # for rear is 557004. Heck why bookmark it when I can stick it in this thread.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
First thing I would do is drop the air bag pressure to about 50-60 psi and try that. If it is too soft or rolls too much start raising it 5 or 10 lbs. at a time until you get a decent ride with no roll.

Tire pressure depends on manufacturer, load rating, etc. There should be an inflation pressure on the sidewall. Have you weighed the axles/corners? The key to correct inflation is to match weight to inflation.

I have Bilsteins all the way around and am happy with them. They are supposed to have a stiffer ride than Monroe. I can tell the difference between these and the original unknown pieces of rust I removed but it is not a harsh ride.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:51 AM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Tire Pressure

IPM,
I had this same issue on mine even after chaning out all of the shocks. It seemed like the kitchen was going to explode whenever I went over an expansion joint on the highway.

I run Bilsteins up front, and Monroe Gas Pressurized on the rear (along with Red Ryders on the tags). I found that while the new shocks really helped with "hop" and "tail slap" the jarring had more to do with tire pressure.

I was running my tire pressure too high. My coach has fairly new tires all around and I had been keeping them up to the cold pressure marked on the sidewall. I found out through the forum that the pressure should be lower. Once I dropped about 20 lbs the entire rig smoothed out.

I also recently replaced my front bags which made a big difference as well. BTW - I bought my Bilsteins as "take offs" on eBay. Also bought a Bilstein steering stabilizer (from a forum member). It took a while but now she is smooth and quiet.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
WOW! That's quite a fast responce with good info, thanx. I got 110 psi in the tires; looks like I'm way over. Probably way over for the bags as well.

John, I'll cut the bag pressure.

Steven, I'll drop the tire pressure. And i'm using the bilstein take offs as well including the steering damper. Boy was that a good buy. And explode is a good descriptor for the kitchen noise. Same effect here. I've got new bags for the front, but man that job is a pain, gonna wait to do it.

I run light usually keep all the tanks empty and don't take alot of stuff so can probably drop tires as low as 70psig? I don't use a toad.

The rear shocks are not stock, are some generic brand, and are narrow, not wide RV style. So I'm thinking what the heck I may try the monroe's since they are so cheap right now on ebay.

Mike
Old 07-31-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
110 in the tires and you're running light.....you'll be amazed if you drop the tire pressure down. Do a search on tire pressure as there are many opinions on the forum about this. I run at 85 psi. But I have Michelins on 19.5 Alcoas. May be different on yours.

Also on the rears. I bought my rears from Pep Boys. They were pretty cheap if I remember and I installed them that afternoon.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i run 80psi in my goodyears/bridgestone on the rear, and they run pretty quiet. i also have bilsteins all around. i was running 70psi on all tires untill i notice a weird wear pattern. tire place said go to a higher pressure and that will clear up.
the rear airbags are designed to fill to a specific height dont think i would tinker with them. the rear bags can be a bear when they start to mess up, my thought if it aint broke dont mess with it,. the front bags 55psi is the recommended psi.
i think when you go to 80/85 psi the ride will be ok.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have 60 PSI in my rear tires. I get a nice smooth ride now that my airbags are inflated but still get some harsh jarring on the smaller bumps around town, or on smaller bridges. Generally though the ride is pretty good. Quieter too now that I have cork floors.
Mine has Bilsteins front and monroe rear.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
thanx again! I'll do the tire pressure first, shocks last. Maybe the cork floor in a few years

MIke
Old 08-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
it took me two years to get the cork in......but a lot of other stuff got done along the way!
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
When I purchased my '81 excella 28' MH I was told the tire preasure was supposed to be 80psi. the owner said this preasure was what the Michelin dealer told him it should be. When he left to get some paperwork his wife, the driver, said the preasure should be 65 psi. I drove it home at 65psi and it drove well and did not have a harsh ride. I tried raising it and anything over 70 was rough riding and went back to 65 psi.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurdy
When I purchased my '81 excella 28' MH I was told the tire preasure was supposed to be 80psi. the owner said this preasure was what the Michelin dealer told him it should be. When he left to get some paperwork his wife, the driver, said the preasure should be 65 psi. I drove it home at 65psi and it drove well and did not have a harsh ride. I tried raising it and anything over 70 was rough riding and went back to 65 psi.
I read thru the A/S owners manual and the reccy tire pressure is 65 psi front and back. I would guess that is alos true on the tag axle but the manual doesn't mention the tag. I tried to run with the sidewall pressure and was able to loosen every bolt, rivet and fastener in the coach.
Rick
gwteale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I run Bilsteins up front, and Monroe Gas Pressurized on the rear (along with Red Ryders on the tags). I found that while the new shocks really helped with "hop" and "tail slap" the jarring had more to do with tire pressure.
I was running my tire pressure too high. My coach has fairly new tires all around and I had been keeping them up to the cold pressure marked on the sidewall. I found out through the forum that the pressure should be lower. Once I dropped about 20 lbs the entire rig smoothed out.
Part of the tire issue is that when these coaches were new, they had load range D's on them, over the years, the load range has gone up to E's, or even F's, which means the tire is capable of carrying more weight, and more air pressure. IIRC, the original tire pressure for these rigs was 65PSI.
Try the lower pressure, and see how it rides. You can always bump the pressure back up some if you notice rolling and swaying, until you get a ride you are happy with. If the shocks are not worn out or broken, you shouldn't have to replace them, although shock manufacturers recomend taking a look at them after 20K miles.
Terry
Old 08-17-2004, 06:51 AM   #16
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Dropped the air pressure to 66 psig. This was a goood improvement. Tires seemed to operate warmer. And handling was a bit reduced. But all was good. Guess I'm going to skip replacing the rear shocks for awhile.

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
between adjusting tire pressure, and air bag pressure I have improved the ride on mine many times over. Now if I can get to the point where I can put back in the rear airbag compressor......
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!