Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to will Send a message via Yahoo to will
water in fuel(345le)

while enrout home last week my "water in fuel " light started going on and off.No other symtems
were apparent.Has anyone had any experience with this problem ,I dont know where to start looking.
I suppose there is a sensor in the tank or fuel lines?
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

SWAG

This question is really a challenge......Lack of tangible info is tough. OK My swag is this must be a diesel engine vehicle. Many diesel engines have a combination fuel filter water seperator. In the bottom section of this device is a probe that will indicate the presence of water, as a lite on dash.. At the bottom of filter water trap there is a drain. Carefully turn valve and allow water to drain away until only fuel is seen....... All will be well, continue rving.....
Old 08-07-2002, 05:32 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I am not aware of how a "water in fuel" sender would work and where the sender is located... However I have often used pure alcohol in GASOLINE tanks to remove water. The alcohol will "absorb" the water, mix it with gasoline and burn it. I've used pure Grain alcohol from the liquor store, alcohol from the paint thinner department at a hardware store and 99% isopropol alcohol, all three, to immediate success.

I am NOT certain of any other way to get water out of a diesel system other than the fuel bowl drain as mentioned above and have not used the alcohol in diesel systems.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Diesel fuel is the lubricant for the injector pump, I wouldn't be adding alcohol. There are additives for diesel fuel made specifically for diesel engines. If you drain the seperator and water continues to accumulate there, you need to drain the tank.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks John,

Good point! Points in fact!
Old 08-16-2002, 05:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
An important assumption you all made is that he has a diesel engine. My 345 with the standard Chevy 454 also flashes the "Water in Fuel" light at me. I've just ignored it all this time.

Will, 454 or diesel?
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #7
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Water in Fuel Light

I have not had the problem with my present Airstream 345, but I did have it with my 270 Excella MH, and my mechanic said it was extraneous and useless.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i sometimes get water in fuel light with my gas engine equiped coach. i find it is a correct indication of the poor gas i just paid for i dont buy gas there any more as my engine starts to run rough . what is happening is the water wil not go thru the filter but it clings to the filter and doesnt allow gas to get thru to the carberator and you have gas starvation ..i usually dump some gas addative to the tank and it will clear the problem,, alcohol will also work. other than that the lite is useless and a waste . for some reason airstream put 454s gas engine in a diesel chassis or diesel instrument panel .. dont know what happened but i assume they couldnt get the desiel engine and walla gas engine wound up in some MHs/////..
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 02:17 AM   #9
Krazykraut

water in fuel

I, kind of got a little experience in diesel engins. I spend 30 years in cummins engins(Trucking). Water in the fuel usally comes from buing fuel at a station, that does'nt sell much diesel. Buy your diesel fuel from a high volume station like a truck stop. I stretch used to prefer Flying J(Conoco). Also if I would own a diesel, I would invest in a parometer(messures the temp at the turbo). Got over 800k out of my last truck(400 cummins). Also, if you losing water and don't have no leaks, most likely you have pitted liners, common problem in the 250 cummins older engins.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Natures help...

Hi Guys...
...On a lighter side of GAS...
One day, many thousands of miles ago a elderly Gent took out his beloved lady for a ride in the vast states of your great land...and as they were enjoying the togetherness, of life, the Old Gent forgot to top up his gas tank, poor souls...they were stranded for hours...alas it began to rain...and out of the skies flew ten thousand BUMBLE BEES...who had spotted this poor Old Man...Can you help us please ??...if our tiny wings get wet, we can't fly, and if we can't fly, we can't get home to make the honey...said Queen Bee...sadly...Oh dear, sighed the Old Man, then we ALL are in a mess too...are'nt we...I have NO gas to get home on...what can I do, If you let us keep dry, in your empty gas tank, we can help you...said Queen Bee...
So the Old Man opened up his tank for the Bees....after a few hours the rain had gone and sunshine began to put a smile on the childrens little faces once more...
The Queen Bee told the Old Man to start his engine and drive safely home...My gosh!!! my gas tank is FULL...how did you do that??...it's easy...replied Queen Bee...Have you NEVER heard of
.....B(ee) P(ee) before...........................
Sorry Guys...can't help it...Chris.....