Old 08-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
An interesting editorial about gas prices...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...x.htm?csp=N009

I have always (since I started driving anyway) wondered how gas prices never really seem to change that much... I assume we pay for it one way or another.

There always seems to be an angry outcry or at least grumbles whenever renewable energy sources are mentioned. Politics aside, is the general feeling that it can't work and is a waste of money? What is the downside to attempting to develop renewable, efficient, and affordable energy sources?
Don't Care about the precieved cost of fuel. These figures are being used to try and justify the rapid rise in the cost of fuel, and the even quicker rise in oil company profits.
Follow the Money and you will see what drives the cost of fuel.
I am all for replacing our petroleum based economy with sustainable fuels.
It can be done, but not in the current climate of oil companies makeing obscene record profits.
Follow the Money

Old 08-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Bio-Diesel is not waste oil from the local fast food shop, nor is it bought from Albertson's at 8 something a gallon. It is a real alternative to our fuel crises. It is a sustainable fuel which will benefit our economy. The technology is here now unlike fuel cells or hybrid electric engines. No modifications are needed on present engines. What is needed is a distribution system and manufacturing that will ensure a steady supply. Since it is a renewable resource this can be accomplished. If our government was serious about a solution to the crises at hand Bio-Diesel would be considered.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:15 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Bio-Diesel is not waste oil from the local fast food shop, nor is it bought from Albertson's at 8 something a gallon. It is a real alternative to our fuel crises. It is a sustainable fuel which will benefit our economy. The technology is here now unlike fuel cells or hybrid electric engines. No modifications are needed on present engines. What is needed is a distribution system and manufacturing that will ensure a steady supply. Since it is a renewable resource this can be accomplished. If our government was serious about a solution to the crises at hand Bio-Diesel would be considered.
I think some confusion comes from the fact that biodiesel is a vegetable based oil and used vegtable oil CAN be converted to biodiesel by the same process as virgin oil. We have a conversion plant being built in NC in the Mt Olive area. There is already a large scale operation in West Point, VA. From my understanding when using soybeans the oil produced is not as "fine" a grade as food quality oil so the processing costs are lower compared to the $8 a gallon stuff plus you are not paying for a grocery distribution system. IMHO the biggest advantages to biodiesel are the constant renewability of it...and it can be made from multiple products not just corn or soybeans and it burns much cleaner than dinodiesel. FWIW a tractor running on pure soy based bio smells slightly like roasted peanuts....another advantage is that the process to produce bio is fairly simple and the by-products as well as the process itself are very non threatening environmentally...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what about the fuel with the additive from corn? Wasn't that or isn't that used in the mid west or I am a bit corny myself?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #19
Site Team

, Minnesota
Biodiesel from ethanol?

The government (USDA, ERRC) is working on a method to convert the waste product from ethanol production into biodiesel.

The solid part of corn that is left over from ethanol production, dried distillers grain, contains about 10% oil. If this material is treated with alkaline methanol, in an in-situ transesterification process, it can be made into biodiesel.

Minnesota is requiring that all dinodiesel contain 2% biodiesel.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I don't think it would matter what was found at a reasonable price for fuel. The big 3 would make changes to their cars so they wouldn't run on it or the government would regulate it and put a tax on it to the same price as gas. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I think you guys are reading too much into this. I read an article about a guy who has over 250,000 miles on his diesel motorhome and all he has ever ran through it is used vegetable oil from restaurants around the country. He hasn't paid one cent for fuel. The article went on to say that all biodiesel is is a close equivalent to cooking oil with the glycerol removed. Now I'm sure everybody is going to talk now about how bad it is for you engine...yada yada yada. This guy's got 250K miles and still going strong. The interviewer reported that the man's exhaust smelled like french fries!

Just my $0.02

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:48 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Still looking for that article, but this one is very informative!

http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/index.php

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Here's another:

http://www.boulderbiodiesel.com/john/SVO/index.jsp

and another:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.p...a4_caravanwart

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
alameda , California
Hi all -

Great topic. We just installed a veggie oil system designed to run on svo or wvo (we are using filtered wvo that we get for free from a local restaurant). Only have a few hundred miles on it so far but all is going very well. No loss of power and the engine is actually quieter when running on veggie oil. It is a 2 tank system with the 2nd tank in the truck bed. There is more info. about this and as well as additional pics on our site listed below.

Veggie powered 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
greenrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sweet! Does the truck smell like french fries?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I would like to have a tow vehicle that ran on Veggie Oil. I have been shopping for a tow vehicle. Just can't afford it. We had a girl in High School where I used to work who turned a diesel bus into Bio Diesel. She had three 55 gallon drums full of veggie oil. I was totally impressed. She and her boyfriend drove it to Bonnaroo.

Brian
Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I see tons of these at Burningman also. Mostly waste oil burners. They go through a lot of filters, but the fuel is FREE!

Rich the Viking
Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
alameda , California
Hello... yes the veggie oil smells a little like fast food. We will also be collecting and filtering our oil. If you get good quality oil and filter it, then let it settle for several weeks, you can actually get a long lifespan out of the vormax filter. I have heard 9,000-10,000 miles and several folks went way longer than that (including our installer). It remains to be seen how this will work for us. We will always carry extra filters for both fuel systems as a precaution... more to come. Take care.

Veggie powered 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
greenrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote