Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Vacuum Step Woes

My 1984 310 Limited MH has a vacuum step. The first trouble I had with it was related to the switch in the door frame. Once I got a replacement, the step functioned normally.

Then the step began to partially extend and then retract while underway. It always retracted when at a stop with the engine running. I then began to notice low vacuum on the vacuum gauge, correlated with the step being partially extended/retracted while underway. I disconnected the step switch and the low vacuum condition stopped. I inspected all of the hoses and lubricated the step. I found no leaks and the step seemed to operate normally. Then I took it on a trip and ended up disconnecting the switch part way through the trip because of the intermittent low vacuum. I noticed that if while driving on the highway I had the problem I could put it in neutral, turn off the ignition, then turn the ignition back on and put it in gear and the step would fully retract and stay that way until the next time. Seemed that climbing hills or heavy acceleration (low ) would cause the step to extend and that releasing the throttle would either cause the step to retract and vacuum to return to normal or the step would "hang" and vacuum would remain low until the step retracted.

Seems likely that I have a vacuum leak in either the electrically operated vacuum valve, the vacuum lines, or the actuator.

Can anyone suggest how to pinpoint the problem?

Any ideas on where to get parts if I figure out what I need?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Messy, but effective

There are two ways to find your vacuum leak. The first you can do yourself, but may be a tad messy, and will require a helper.
Start the engine, and with the engine running and the step rettracted, spray WD40 on everything that is involved with the step actuator. Have your assistant watch and listen for changes in the engine's idle. When you find the vacuum leak, the engine will momentarily rev up slightly, as you are adding a little more fuel to the mix.
The second alternative is to take the motor home to a garage that has a smoke machine, and have them check the system for leaks with it.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
There is a device used to drain brake lines at the auto stores (about $35). It also allows you to pull a vacume. You could use this device to create a vacume to test the entire line from the carb back.
You may also have a round bulb type reservor about the size of a softball in the system that keeps the vacume steady while the engine is under load. It also could be the problem, most likely place for this device is in the engine compartment and not at the steps.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
a less messy way to find leaks is to use an UNLIT propane torch.

start the engine, let the propane flow from the torch, then place the unlit propane torch near any device or line that is suspect.

when you find the leak the engine rpm's will increase due to the added fuel the propane provides.

john
Old 11-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll be trying one or more when it warms up around here (25 degreees).

Has anyone worked on one of the vacuum steps before? I can't tell if mine leaks only when it is 'stuck' between extended and retracted or if it leaks all the time and is worse when it is 'stuck'. Anyone have any theoretical insights?

Any suggestion for sourcing parts (if I'm lucky enough to get that far)?

Also, anyone have an idea of the installed cost of a new electric step? Might be cheaper in the long run?

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 11-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Vacuum Steps

Yes. I have worked on them. Mine extended on the road in a constrution zone and clipped some traffic marker barrels. That was the end of that. I went to Camping World and bought electric steps which fit right in and am very happy with them. The vacuum steps never did function right.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
Hello guy99, wascobob here---Guy, I have not had any personal experience with the vacumn step system, but have heard that they are problematic.

My 1988 29 footer came from the factory ( I think) with an electric two step system that works correctly every time (no problems at all).---Might be worth looking into.

I will look thru my manual and see if their is any info. on the unit installed, if their is, I will post it.

Bob
Old 11-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I've looked at electric steps a little. Over $500 if I have it installed. Installing it myself would mean laying on the ground in 30 degree weather, maybe in snow or rain.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
green cove spr , Florida
vacuum steps

My '79 excella has problems with the vacuum steps too, Am gonna replace with electric ones. Does the Kwickie steps fit right in??
dye904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Yes. I have worked on them. Mine extended on the road in a constrution zone and clipped some traffic marker barrels. That was the end of that. I went to Camping World and bought electric steps which fit right in and am very happy with them. The vacuum steps never did function right.
another member of our Orange Barrel Club! Welcome. Brett was the President, but I am an active member too.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Orange Barrel Club??

I hadn't heard of the club, but I surely am a member. The real problem is the danger involved with those steps sticking out. If a highway worker had been hit by the steps or a barrel, it could have been serious.

I bought the Kwickie steps and they fit in fine. You need two power leads. One is always hot and one is ignition switchable.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I hadn't heard of the club, but I surely am a member. The real problem is the danger involved with those steps sticking out. If a highway worker had been hit by the steps or a barrel, it could have been serious.
Brett (thenewkid64) is the president of the club because his original Argosy motorhome flattened several orange-painted drums in a construction zone. I still have the mangled awning arm from the incident in my garage.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Update

I had a shop take a look at the step (I didn't want to lay in the snow to work on it). They found a bad check valve. Replaced it and the step seems to be working correctly now. When I was driving home last night the warning light came on a few times but I couldn't see the step extended and the vacuum was normal. When I get to Mexico, I'll lay in the sand and adjust the switch which controls the warning light.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Just don't join the orange barrel club!!

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I don't know, seems like I might be in pretty good company.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Any ideas on replacing the electric unit that reverses the vacume flow when you open the door?

Thanks, Sebastian
Sebastian DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I admire you guys in the 'orange cone club' for your perserverence, but I would suggest that unless you REALLY like to constantly tinker with those vacuum steps that you replace them with a comperable model from Kwikee. They make a great product and if installed and maintained properly, work without fail every time. (no I didn't get paid to write this) <G>
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote