Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Jackson , Mississippi
Upgrade exhaust system or just replace mufflers

I have a 1977 Argosy 24' Motorhome with the Chevy 454. Both of my mufflers are rusted out. The remainder of the exhaust system from the headers to the tip of the tailpipes is in pretty good shape. There is significant surface rust, but I can't find any soft/weak spots. I'm not sure if I have any leaks at the headers or not - probably so since these are the original cast iron headers.

I have to replace the mufflers. I can buy replacement mufflers like the originals for just under $200. Problem is the oem mufflers have a 2.5" input and 2.5" output.

I would like to replace the exhaust system with larger ceramic coated headers with a 3" collector, and run them into a 1 in 2 out muffler with dual 2.25 tailpipes on both sides. This would cost me an additional $400 - $500.

Is it worth spending the money to upgrade, or should I just replace the mufflers and call it a day?

Thanks for your help!

Charlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
When I went to Thorley headers and a large exhaust system on my 310 Motorhome, it made a great difference in power and also made the engine run much cooler. I would spend the money on a good exhaust system. You do want the right headers though, not just any. Thorley (spelling) had some specifically tuned for low end power on the 454 I had in mine.

And, wow, what a sound when I stomped on it and all 4 bbls opened up. You knew there was a big engine there.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Agree with idroba. Make sure the exhaust is tuned to enhance low end power. That's where the 454 needs it and it's not just any one component that makes it work. Banks spent a lot of time and $$$ to find the right combination to increase power in the usable band on the 454 with a heavy rig.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Happy with my Bank$$ but for you the cost factor might be a challenge. But then I am pushing close to 20K#.

is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote