Old 04-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Univolt Replacement in 1976 Argosy M/H

This is a great forum!

I am replacing the old "Univolt Hummer" on my 28 ft 1976 Airstream Argosy. It is mounted in the back drivers corner under the bath cabinets. Looks difficult to get to.

Has anyone replaced the univolt in this model? Any tricks or do I ust start cutting inside the cabinet to get to it? I also imagine I should disconnect all batteries first; right?

J Levi Hanson
idahohanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
1977 28' Argosy 28
washington , Illinois
any luck

I'm about to do this same upgrade - how did you get access to your univolt in order to replace it?

bobcatjenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
I just did this with a converter from My Argosy didn't' have one when I purchased it and had to wire from scratch. If you still have the original univolt in its as easy as changing the leads out in the same manor they were originally installed. Super easy. Just 3 wires IRRC. Sounds like you guys have a little more difficulty accessing it though. My compartment is next to the copilot chair and access was easy.
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
... Sounds like you guys have a little more difficulty accessing it though. My compartment is next to the copilot chair and access was easy.
Some of the locations where Airstream (and all RV manufacturers) places the power converters are almost inaccessible. On a 76 Coachmen MH I used to own I literally had to dismantle the entire sink cabinet to get to it. Not fun

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Miamisburg , Ohio
Univolt replacement

I didn't have an Argosy MH when I replaced the Univolt but it was buried under the closet in the bath in our trailer. I removed shelving to get access laying on my belly, not fun. Once it was out I stripped out the transformer to reduce weight and left all other wiring in place. I tagged all disconnected wires and placed a Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Charger with the Charge Wizard on top of the Univolt with rivets. This piggy back layout was perfect in the compartment and I didn't have to change out the fuse panel on the Univolt and the wiring schematic stayed factory. I guess the negative was older fuses that may be hard to find, but I had spares from the previous owner. The Intelli-Charger is quiet and no heat. This was done in my 72 Safari and worked for >15 years, sold last Summer. Wish I would have taken pics!

kenajen is offline   Reply With Quote