Old 03-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Originally Posted by davidz71
Just curious, is there an adapter plug that would convert the 20 amp configuration to a 15 amp type plug?
There probably is but I can't recommend it. There is a reason it has a 20 plug and although it may never draw more then 15 Amps, the possibility is there and you wouldn't be able to control it.
Same argument with 30 Amp to 15 Amp adapters for shore power. I have seen plenty of melted fact I have one!

Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
Site Team
, Minnesota

The funny plug will work in a regular 20a outlet. Those are the outlets where the left hand slot is a sideways T. If you have a 20a. breaker and #12 wire, but the outlet is only 15a (two vertical slots) you can change the outlet to a 20a socket and be ok.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
The correct solution is to buy the $5.99 20A female plug at the hardware store and change it out. The "normal" male plugs and the new "funny" one will then both fit the new female receptacle. The incorrect solution, knowing you will not be pulling 20A, is to turn the horizontal blade 90 degrees with needlenose pliers.
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Thanks everyone for your help

I saw your replies but was on the road and lost internet access before I could reply.

Randy, Sure wish I had talked to you before I bought. My thinking was that since my vnivolt was 50 amps and I wanted to add two batteries, I should increase the converter capacit by more that 10 amps (which was the other Intelipower I considered) So I went with the 80 amp.

Turns out the circuit for the univolt is 20 amp and the wire is 12 gauge so I just changed the plug and pluggered 'er in.

Seems to be fine but the new unit has on ocassion made a very high pitched whine (like crickets on speed) is this normal?

Another question: Should the converter charge the chassis battery or only the house batteries?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Glad the plug worked out. Most distribution panels are protected with 20 Amp for the converter but I have no way of knowing for sure. Also, like I mentioned, you will likely not see more then 15 Amps but possible under full load when charging a large battery bank.
I donít know what to tell you about the whine in the converter. Iíve not heard that in a PD product but sure have heard old Univolts hum. You can have it checked where you bought it and maybe they can figure it out, I just donít know.
The converter is very capable of charging the chassis battery but not likely wired that way. I donít recommend it because your chassis battery is a starting type and your house batteries are deep cycle, or at least they should be. The charger is designed for deep cycle, AGM or Gel cell only (gel requires a special calibrated Charge Wizard). There is really no reason to charge the chassis battery from the converter but I would make sure you have an isolator to prevent the DC system from drawing on the chassis battery. Probably standard equipment.
Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #20
1981 28' excella motorhom
Blue Springs , Missouri
yea, I found out the hard way my original univolt in my '82 excella does not operate like like a modern battery charger. Cooked a couple of deep cycle batteries. Did not check the battery water often enough.
IPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I check My water ever month. On the rood or not.

alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote