Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Turbo intake hose

Does anyone have any helpful hints on replacing the turbo intake hose on a 310. This thing is a bear to get at for sure!!! Any advice from those who have done this is much appreciated!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
In between the metal tube that is connected to the k and n air filter and the actual turbo, there is a section of fiber hose, similar to a radiator coolant hose. Its about 12" long or so. Its tucked up behind the master cylinder and other various things. While inspecting my brake fluid in the master cylinder i noticed a large crack, break, in the hose which means i was sucking a good amount of un filtered air into my turbo. No bueno! So after being unable to find a part number or any identifying marks on the old rotten hose i was able to find a scilicone composit of the correct 3" i.d. At napa. I will have to cut it to the proper length, it comes in 36" sections. Its just a real pain in the rear to get to and am wondering if anyone hastackled the replacement that may have learned a trick or three that would make it a bit easier on the knuckles. Those with the turbo diesel might want to inspect this hose cause its really tucked away and not something that would stand out during a casual visual inspection. If indeed it has a crack or hole in it as mine did, you are basically by passing your air filter and sucking dirt, dust, rocks, or whatever into the turbo. Just a thought.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Make sure you check the metal tube between the the air filter and that hose. I had to have my turbo rebuilt because the PO did not do the proper maintenance on the filter. That metal tube was all rusted and this is what it did to the turbo blades.

I have since moved the air filter from the left wheel well I might add a really bad place for a filter. Up into the left grill area and have added a proper weather shield
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1540.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	201101  
Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
good advice!!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
moving the placement of the filter is an excellent idea. its so dog gone tight in there you must have really squeezed it in. is it easier to service where you moved it to?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Last summer I had the center grill section out to replace and repair some things. When I was replacing the turbo and the hose you replaced. I noticed that I could come straight out from the turbo along the frame and end up in the grill just above the lower rad mount.

So I removed the washer container and made up some tubing and used some of the original tubing. With the ww container removed there is enough room above the steering box mount to put the filter. It is a close fit but it fits I even have the K/N foam cover on the filter. I then made a plastic cover from a pail that I bought at the hardware store.

I mounted the ww container on the right side

Now the air cleaner is not getting beat to death by the debris coming off the front tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1563.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	201149  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Good thinkin, im just glad that task is done and i hopefully wont have to mess with that connecting section of hose again. My knuckles and forearm look like i was trying to bathe a cat!!