Old 04-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #15
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Don't want to waste money on alternative tansmission

Don't want to waste money on alternative tansmission or additional overdrive. I don't drive enough miles to justify the small improvement in milage. Cheaper to just burn more gas. Nore do I want to carve the driveshaft to a non-stock length; should Iever break down out of town, it's probably much easier/quicker to fix/replace an th400 than the gear vendor. A cut driveshaft requires keeping the gear vendor in place. Don't want to replace my perfectly good th400 but wait till it breaks if ever. Should it break, the switch pitch upgrade may be worth the $600 (less if I find my own parts in local yards). The rear axle gear change to a speed frendly ratio is a bad, bad idea.

Regarding the topic of oil coolers, the local Pull your own parts yards have many turbocharged volvo and sabb cars with well made, large pipe diameter engine oil coolers. They stack in series nicely and can be had cheap, sometimes no charge at all if you are buying other parts as well. I have these installed on my rig in place of the OEM engine oil cooler and probably should have done a couple of those as well for the trans. cooler to save money (bought after market for that $$).