Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Turbo 400 / 4L80E

Currently there is a freshly built Turbo 400 transmission sitting in my 1974 Argosy motorhome (no engine installed at the moment). We bought the Argosy with a 350 engine installed although it had never been ran before.

I also have a used 4L80E transmission from a 1992 (I think) chevy box truck that had a 350 motor in it. The truck was scrapped because the engine compartment caught on fire. If I do use the 4L80E in the Argosy I will definitely have it gone through before installation. I did pull the computer from the box truck when I pulled the transmission and I've been led to believe that the computer will require that a few sensors be added to the 454 Argosy engine so the transmission will shift correctly.

One of the questions I have is will the computer that I pulled from the box truck work with the 454 engine that I have? Or will I need to find one that was used in a 454 application?

Another question is are there any upgrades, etc that should be done to the 4L80E as it is being rebuilt?

Which sensors will need to be added to allow the 4L80E to function properly with the 454?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Brad, you will have to put nearly every sensor on the 454, and you will probably have to install fuel injection as well.
Oxygen sensors, throttle position sensor, coolant temp sensor, ambient air temp sensor, crank position sensor, knock sensor, it'll be a major thing. The computer for the 5.7 won't work on the 7.4, they are different and the engine and transmission won't work right.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 79
4l80e

I have an 86 chev crew cab 4x4 dually. We installed a cummins turbo diesel engine with a turbo 400 and everything worked great, also we have a gear vendor installed. Now the update--- after about 150K miles the 400 needed a rebuild. We found a 4l80e and put it in place of the turbo 400. There are companys that sell stand alone computers that will adapt that trans to any computer controlled or non-computer controlled engine. It is not any big thing. Thats what we did and it is still going strong after 300K miles. The cost is around $1000. One company is called Compu-shift. Give them a call. Having the gear vendor and the 4l80e is a great combo and we are very satisfied. Don't be discouraged, you will love the result with the lock-up torque converter and the overdrive, just do it! Happy trails, Chip
__________________
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Wow Terry, way to rain on my parade

I guess I need to dig a little deeper to see exactly what year/model the transmission is and what year (for certain) that the truck was. I would hope that I could use the computer part number to determine what features it needs or doesn't need.

I'm certainly not adverse to switching it to fuel injection either.

Dang, more to think about

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
195Pilot's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 133
In another life I was a District Service Manager for GMC Truck . The THM400 was the strongest transmission GM ever produced. That tranny will preform with little input from engine, and again its as close to bullet proof as you can get.
With the thm400 you can keep it simple.
__________________
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
I have an 86 chev crew cab 4x4 dually. We installed a cummins turbo diesel engine with a turbo 400 and everything worked great, also we have a gear vendor installed. Now the update--- after about 150K miles the 400 needed a rebuild. We found a 4l80e and put it in place of the turbo 400. There are companys that sell stand alone computers that will adapt that trans to any computer controlled or non-computer controlled engine. It is not any big thing. Thats what we did and it is still going strong after 300K miles. The cost is around $1000. One company is called Compu-shift. Give them a call. Having the gear vendor and the 4l80e is a great combo and we are very satisfied. Don't be discouraged, you will love the result with the lock-up torque converter and the overdrive, just do it! Happy trails, Chip
Chip,

I've heard of these aftermarket companies. Probably the only concern I would have using an aftermarket part like this would be failure while out on the road. What do you do about repair service or are they that robust you don't have to worry about it?

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195Pilot View Post
In another life I was a District Service Manager for GMC Truck . The THM400 was the strongest transmission GM ever produced. That tranny will preform with little input from engine, and again its as close to bullet proof as you can get.
With the thm400 you can keep it simple.
I can't argue your logic on the dependability of the 400. Unfortunately I really like the idea of having an over drive to drop the rpms and increase mileage.

What I'm hoping is since a 20' Argosy motor home only weighs about 8500 lbs or so the 4L80E should actually be overkill.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
dirigible25's Avatar
 
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 424
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 1
go online and check out companies like Gear Vendors (www.gearvendors.com) or TCI (www.tciauto.com) and they all have products for many various applications, computers, cables, transmissions and any other product that you would require to swap in various transmissions to different engine combinations. They have been around the street rod market for years with very good reputations and warranties. There are others out there as well. They have good technical service folks who would be glad to talk over your particular needs and steer you in the direction that you need to go.
__________________
Dennis

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Old School Young Gun
 
ElCamino Man's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 382
Its far from a bolt on upgrade. Youll need a big block bell housing to start with, and a different tranny crossmember, shorter driveshaft, AND a stand-alone controller. I did a similar upgrade to my El Camino, I know all about it lol. What you will gain is an overdrive meaning improved mpgs! Youll have some cash wrapped up in this upgrade for sure
__________________
No Airstream Yet...
ElCamino Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Honestly, it would probably be easier and cheaper to get a Gear Vendors overdrive unit and install that.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Waipio Rim's Avatar
 
1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Has anybody thrown a higher geared differential at this problem? Seems like it would be easier and cheaper, but I might regret it the first time I came to a mountain.
__________________
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Full Timers/Diesel power.
 
Mike Leary's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,540
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Has anybody thrown a higher geared differential at this problem? Seems like it would be easier and cheaper, but I might regret it the first time I came to a mountain.
Our first mo/ho was a 28' Excella diesel. The PO had done the same thing, trying to get better highway speed. When we pulled hills, I could walk faster.
__________________
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Old School Young Gun
 
ElCamino Man's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 382
Whats wrong with your current set-up? Are you just trying to gain mpgs?
__________________
No Airstream Yet...
ElCamino Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
go online and check out companies like Gear Vendors (www.gearvendors.com) or TCI (www.tciauto.com) and they all have products for many various applications, computers, cables, transmissions and any other product that you would require to swap in various transmissions to different engine combinations. They have been around the street rod market for years with very good reputations and warranties. There are others out there as well. They have good technical service folks who would be glad to talk over your particular needs and steer you in the direction that you need to go.
Dennis,

Thanks for the links. The last time (4 years ago?) I looked into transmission controllers the ones I found seemed like they were well over $1000. TCIAuto shows one at about $600. That's a lot closer to what I would be interested in.

Thanks!

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.