Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
4L80e Shift Indicator pics.

I took several pics.
I have minor eyesight problems with parallax error at close range, so sometimes a picture shows me what is actually there,and where!
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB270499.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	173445
3rd or straight drive.

Name:	PB270500.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	173446
Reverse

Name:	PB270501.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	173447
Park

Name:	PB270502.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	173448
2nd
Ok, not the best pics,even I can tell that I was too close, and moving the camera around to get a better shot. Gotta turn off the flash too.
Even so the new shift indicator shows up pretty well.
From a normal driving position the pointer lines up clearly with the correct gear.

The right hand xmember frame mount is temporarily assembled to the center transmission mount xmember. Unfortunately I broke the temporary spot welds on the left hand xmember frame mount, when I was test fitting this morning.
Oh well, no worries, I knew better than to try and rush it,lol. Rain is moving in now, so I just picked up tools and put the kettle on.
All the best. Rich

Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up 3pc transmission crossmember and mount test fitted.

It fits! It bears the weight of the 4l80e! It's UGLY!
I pronounce the test fit a qualified success. All bolts are where they should be, the mount is in place, driveshaft was aligned properly ( I dropped the driveshaft down just before quitting for the day). I did not install the Banks headers yet though.

Name:	PB290507.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	173560

Name:	PB290508.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	173561

Still to do to the 3 piece cross member:
Make adjustments as needed for clearance on the headers, I have enough metal on the center part to do quite a bit of trimming for clearance.
Make a dimple for better shift cable clearance on the top drivers side of the center part
Box in the 1/4" plate on both upper parts, bolt the plates to the uppers. Take both uppers to a local welder to have the 1/4" boxing (re-inforcing) welded by a machine with adequate amperage to get good penetration and clean, strong welds. My machine just cannot do it.
All the best. Cheers! Rich.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Looking good!

It's always nice when a plan comes together. I'm anxious to see how well the overdrive feature works.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
1996 4L80e emergency brake installed in 1988 345

Hi all:
Things are now going very slowwwly here. My bloody positional dizziness has been flaring up recently, which makes it very bloody unpleasant to be on my back with my bloody head tipped back for working underneath the bloody moho.
Hence a certain lack of bloody progress..
A couple of things have been accomplished though.
First, I have now positively identified the donor vehicle of my 4L80e, it was a 1996 Chevy 3500 HD,454cid,15,000.00 lb gvw, cab and box, on chassis (with 150,000.00 miles, and a thrown rod. GM Goodwrench rebuilt 4L80e at 110,000.00)( Thank You! Chicago). I guess GM doesn't like to call it a pickup with a box, (that would be too simple). Anyway this has made it a little easier to source parts for the future, and for right now the 3500 HD emergency brake cable was easier to identify.
The clevis, and threaded rod, that attaches the cable to the lever do not appear to be sold through the parts system though. (The donor vehicle was already crushed, and no junkyards close with another)) But, I was able to order a forged steel clevis from Midwest controls with the correct 3/8"x24nf thread size, and I cut the head off a 3/8" x24nf x2" socket head cap screw to use for a rod.
Then I connected the new emergency brake cable, rod, 3/8"x24nf jamb nut, and clevis to the actuating lever on the drum, and to the original 345 emergency brake handle. Surprisingly it all fits together, and works! (proviso coming).
Of course the new brake cable (NAPA) is larger in diameter than the original cable and I had to drill out the hole in the floor to 5/8' in order to thread it through. Luckily I had a 5/8' x 24" long wood auger bit, which made re-drilling the hole a snap from the driver seat. I cannot recommend taking apart and reassembling the 345 hand brake as a soothing pastime though, it is a fiddly, awkward PITA. It did go back together and work though.
OK, now the proviso! The hand brake works completely opposite from original. Now its: Handbrake ON, emergency brake OFF. Handbrake OFF, emergency brake ON. Of course I knew this was going to happen much earlier on because of the redesigned 1990s E brake system, we already discussed. Now I just need to rig a Green led as a "brake off " check light.

Name:	PC200511.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	174927
Clevis fork, Pin, cotter pin, 3/8"x24nf rod and jamb nut.

Name:	PC200512.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	174928
Cable retaining plate. Note 5/32" channel I had to cut for assy. Apparently GM didn't expect this cable to ever be replaced? Or is it still the wrong cable? Anyway the length is right and both ends fit.

Name:	PC200513.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	174930
Large silver barrel on left is threaded cable end. Then jamb nut. Clevis fork, and pin, etc. Sorry this last pic is fuzzy.
All the best. Rich.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC200514.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	174931  
Old 12-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
Hi all:
Things are now going very slowwwly here. My bloody positional dizziness has been flaring up recently, which makes it very bloody unpleasant to be on my back with my bloody head tipped back for working underneath the bloody moho.
Hence a certain lack of bloody progress..
Ah heck, I thought you were just getting lazy

Quote:
A couple of things have been accomplished though.
First, I have now positively identified the donor vehicle of my 4L80e, it was a 1996 Chevy 3500 HD,454cid,15,000.00 lb gvw, cab and box, on chassis (with 150,000.00 miles, and a thrown rod. GM Goodwrench rebuilt 4L80e at 110,000.00)( Thank You! Chicago). I guess GM doesn't like to call it a pickup with a box, (that would be too simple). Anyway this has made it a little easier to source parts for the future, and for right now the 3500 HD emergency brake cable was easier to identify.
Sounds like you got yourself a good unit.

Quote:
The clevis, and threaded rod, that attaches the cable to the lever do not appear to be sold through the parts system though. (The donor vehicle was already crushed, and no junkyards close with another)) But, I was able to order a forged steel clevis from Midwest controls with the correct 3/8"x24nf thread size, and I cut the head off a 3/8" x24nf x2" socket head cap screw to use for a rod.
Then I connected the new emergency brake cable, rod, 3/8"x24nf jamb nut, and clevis to the actuating lever on the drum, and to the original 345 emergency brake handle. Surprisingly it all fits together, and works! (proviso coming).
Of course the new brake cable (NAPA) is larger in diameter than the original cable and I had to drill out the hole in the floor to 5/8' in order to thread it through. Luckily I had a 5/8' x 24" long wood auger bit, which made re-drilling the hole a snap from the driver seat.
I'm kinda glad I'm sticking with the original Argosy parking brake which uses a pedal connected to the rear brake shoes.

Quote:
I cannot recommend taking apart and reassembling the 345 hand brake as a soothing pastime though, it is a fiddly, awkward PITA. It did go back together and work though.
That was my reaction when I removed the 345 parking brake lever as I was dismantling the 345. Rube Goldberg affair if you ask me.

Quote:
OK, now the proviso! The hand brake works completely opposite from original. Now its: Handbrake ON, emergency brake OFF. Handbrake OFF, emergency brake ON. Of course I knew this was going to happen much earlier on because of the redesigned 1990s E brake system, we already discussed. Now I just need to rig a Green led as a "brake off " check light.
That will certainly mystify any potential thief!

Brad
Old 12-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #118
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
You know you'll need a new electronic speedometer or a very expensive adapter to use the original with the 4L80e. The one I got was easy to program and if you put different size tires on it's easy to reprogram. It was neat to see 10 miles on the odometer!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedometer and 4L80e

Hi All. Hope everyone had a really great holiday!
Thanks Brad And Mel.
I am also feeling better physically, my dizziness is decreasing now, and hopefully migraines will be further apart for a while. I actually consider my ailments to be very minor, although temporarily unpleasant. Accepting my "new" capabilities is the most grating part, but as I was a cancer patient for 4 years, and am now a 5yrs survivor, I really have nothing to complain about.
Sometimes though, I can really be a fg bear with a sore head!
Brad ,your right , those aftermarket hand brake units look like a "Mechano" or "Lego" engineer designed them in 1920, while using a Bumblebee crossed with a Stick insect for a design template.
In reply to Choctawmel Yes I do have a new speedometer. I never liked the Teleflex instruments anyway, so I was glad to get a New Vintage 0-100 mph ( customized ) electronic speedometer. They had to make me a new template for 0-100 , as I did not want the standard 120 mph speedo, I did consider the 160 mph model for it's shock appeal, but it put the 345 cruising speed range in the wrong place. Also it would not be pc to drive in a manner to do it justice. LOL.
It has plain white numbers on black, with an "early 60's" look, very easy and uncluttered to look at, with 50mph straight up in the 12 o'clock position. (A little expensive but it suits what I want.)
With 50 mph straight up, it makes the needle at 45mph and 55mph really stand out. Those speeds and 35mph are difficult for me to read and differentiate in a quick glance on the 85 mph Teleflex unit. This in speed ranges that will quickly get you a ticket in many areas.
The New Vintage also reads multiple input signals, including standard GM, and the Optishift speed signal. When combined with the optishift it is also almost infinitely adjustable too.
In conclusion, as time and funds permit I intend to replace all the Teleflex gauges with a matching New Vintage tach, and probably SW small gauges.
All the best, Cheers! and a happy and prosperous New Year! Rich.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
How is it going Rich?

I have a question for you 4L80E guys....

I saw a 4L80E for sale locally, for a good price.
Looks like this... from a GMC 2500 express...

First thing that I noted is that there is no provision for the parking brake on this unit...
Is it just a different tail housing to find?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Steve, if you had an Argosy that would work just fine. My Argosy has rear drum brakes with the parking brake located there. The 4L80E that I will eventually install in the Argosy came out of a box truck with the drum on the back of the transmission like the Classic's.

I haven't decided yet whether to sell the brake assembly from the 4L80E mainly because someday I would like to install a differential with disc brakes.

From what I have been told you would just need to swap out the tail housing and then come up with the parking brake parts.

Brad
Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
4l80e for sale

If that 4l80e is for sale for less than $400 and you know the owner, Snap it up!
Brad is absolutely right about the tailpieces they are completely interchangeable. Just pull the bolts, use a new gasket, and the tail housing and tail shaft you want.
Perhaps you and Brad should swap tailhousings?
Anyway the fly in the ointment might be finding a tailhousing with parking brake assembly that works for you.
Although it gave me fits and apoplexy during the "fitting" stage, I am now quite happy with the GMC/Chevy 3500 HD tailhousing, especially since I have rounded up the small parts.
Nothing new going on here, Transmission and all the parts I need are waiting in the freezing garage for me.
Nice neighbors, the house, pets, vets, and local wildlife have all been using up my time since the really cold weather hit. You all know the drill, when you have something really crucial to do, every would be Sargent has a hole to dig or fill somewhere.
All the best.Rich.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Rich, it was not this one... but I found another for $200, and grabbed it yesterday!

Popped the pan off, and it looks great, but I plan a HD rebuild before use..
I think I will be asking you and Mel lots of questions when I get to fitting it!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
For anyone interested...
Car Craft Magazine June 2013 has a gem of an article in the "Junkyard Builder" series, on swapping in a 4L80E.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
June 2013?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
June 2013?

Yes, I have a subscription, so I get mine early!
Give me time to give y'all a heads up!