Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Shift cable installed.

Hi All : It's been a long week in the wheel well of the 345 making small parts. But, I do have the shift cable hooked up and secured at the transmission end, installed, (but not secured yet) at the steering column. Pictures uploaded and descriptions below.

The jpg. #472 shows the 1/4" mild steel "horseshoe" shape, and size, needed to change the shifter connection at the steering column end, from rod to cable type shifting. (If it was possible to just use the original solid rod shifter mechanism these steps would not be necessary).
4L80e's shift by cable and the cable is attached to the transmission from the rear in most cases (except for a few early ones?). This means that the cable must attach on the left side of the steering column, in order to push and pull in synchronization with the 4L80e shift lever. Not the right side as originally built for rod shifting the TH475.
The really important part of this shape is having an inner diameter of about 3 3/8" in order to clear the steering column.
This is the Mark 2 version.
I do not wish discuss the failure of the Mark 1 version.

jpg. #473 shows the "twist" in the shape of the " horseshoe" in order to get the shift ball/pin as high as possible in the wheelwell (The ball and pin
is not shown yet). I could have made this out of Aluminium, But could not have got the shape I wanted.
The new ball and pin connectors come from Pegasus Racing: www.PegasusAutoRacing.com

jpg. #475 shows the ball and pin installed onto a piece of 1/4" 6061 T6 aluminium . It is threaded (1/4 28 NF) through a washer into the drilled and tapped aluminium plate, with a jam nut on the back . The black paint is just for contrast for the pics. This particular alloy is clear anodized, and expecting paint to stay on anodizing is an exercise in futility.

jpg. #476 same part side view, notice the curved and beveled inner side of the T6 plate, I didn't get the "flatness" of the horseshoe quite right and needed more clearance.

jpg. #478. The "contraption" bolted into place, and the cable hooked up. Although this is just a still, there is a lot going on mechanically in this picture, which I will try to describe.
The large bolt with several washers is centered by a steel insert in the factory hole for the pivoting shift rod attachment, (it is very important to preserve this mounting location, as it controls the amount of "input" to the entire shifting mechanism. In other words this point controls the amount of "travel" needed to move the shift through the gears.
The 1/4" bolt closer to the column just locks the horseshoe into place.
The new ball and pin is mounted 180 degrees opposite the factory mounting point, this is important for getting the cable aligned in the right direction. (towards rear inner side of wheel well).
The new ball and pin is also mounted exactly the same distance to the left of the steering column, as the original was to the right. This keeps the travel distance correct at the steering column.
The flat plate is obviously oversized this will allow me to adjust the pin position inwards or outwards in order to increase or decrease the travel needed to select all gears. (I Actually don't care too much about being able to select low (1st) manually, as I can do it by a button push with the Optishift.)
I did not bother trying to get a stock cable as I wanted 1/4" ends, not 10/28, and I could not the identify the stock length. Plus I did not want to deal with the strange proprietary connection inside the column that GM used.
The cable is 120" long, 4" travel, 1/4-28 NF stainless ends, 1/4 " ss wire with stainless shield, and black plastic jacketing. Custom ordered from: Home - Midwest Control Products Corp.

All the best.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
OOPs pics did not show up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB030472.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	171980

Name:	PB030473.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	171981

Name:	PB030474.jpg
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	171982

Name:	PB030475.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	171983

Name:	PB030476.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	171984

Name:	PB030477.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	171985

Old 11-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Shift cable secured in place

The shift cable is now properly secured at both ends. Unfortunately I was too tired this afternoon to check the shifting. Tomorrow is another day, and if frustrations or problems crop up, they won't seem so big when i'm fresh.

Name:	PB040479.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	172028
Above picture shows the plain cable clamp attached to 1/4" plate, at the steering column end.

Name:	PB040480.jpg
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	172029
clamp and plate attached to an 18" aluminium crossbar, this will be fastened to framework in the top of the wheelwell.

Name:	PB040481.jpg
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	172030
another view of the clamp and crossbar, the shape orients the cable in the correct direction.

Name:	PB040482.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	172031
A shot of the parts installed and bolted to the under structure of the 345. The light was going, and this is hard to see. If you blow it up you can see it somewhat better. I will get a better picture tomorrow.
Once again paint was just to get better contrast for pics.
The transmission end of the cable uses the stock 4L80e mounting system. Picture coming tomorrow.
If you are doing this transmission swap and order a cable, I strongly suggest calling Midwest, or the company supplying your cable. The first cable I ordered was wrong, and Midwest contacted me to double check on what I was trying to accomplish. They steered me right, saving me a lot of agro, and time.
Next week is re-installing the driveshaft, and fabricating the transmission mount from the parts i have on hand. ( this might take awhile)
I hope I do not make myself sick from over exertion!

Cheers. All the best. Limey Rich.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up 400/4L80e swap, "Shifter Cable" wrap up!

By now you are all probably bored with the shift cable saga.
So, I have wrapped up this part of my 400(TH475)/4L80e conversion with some redone, and some new pictures of this part of the installation.
First though, I need to thank BKahler for starting this thread, (which i admit to thoroughly hijacking), Keyair, Smartstream, Choctawmel, and all the others whose earlier threads inspired me to start the 400/4L80e swap.
Plus, thanks for the encouragement guys when things were not going right!
When my particular installation is completed I will try to write and post a complete and logical description of the entire process. ( Actually I will get the wife to help me, she used to correct and re-write manuals for a NASA subcontractor. So I think she might catch the things I screw up.)
I am very tired, and we are expecting two days of rain here. So no more 345 work for a bit.
The pictures:

Name:	PB050483.jpg
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	172106
A better shot of the cable end and clamping bracket

Name:	PB050484.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	172107
This pic show the relationship of the bracket to under floor leveler hoses and wires.

Name:	PB050486.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	172108
New 1/4" cable, with 4L80e stock mounting.

Name:	PB050487.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	172109
Slightly different angle of the previous shot.

Name:	PB050488.jpg
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	172110
Cable snaking back to the wheelwell. You will notice I am not forcing my cable into the stock 10/32" sized cable guide. When everything is done I will use heavy duty wire ties to position the cable where I want it.

Name:	PB050485.jpg
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	172111
Last but not least. Cable snaking rearward just below the floor to the inner rear corner of the wheelwell.
See, I said it was wrapped up!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Rich,

I certainly didn't mind the hi-jack! You descriptions and pictures will save me a huge amount of work when I start the conversion to the 4L80E.

Your pictures and write-ups have been great so anything you add is just a bonus.

Thanks!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
A hijack for me is when it gets completely off the original posters line...

This is all great info, and you have done nothing but help everyone Rich!
With Brads blessing.... Keep it coming!

I think this thread link will get added to the sticky, just as Dadstoy's 454 thread did.

On an interesting side note...
Am I correct is saying that the 4L80 is able to be put behind a Cummins Diesel without issues??
Because if that is the case... My horse and cart are ok at the moment, but if the cart breaks, I want to spend time and money on a 4L80 cart! Knowing that if the horse has to be shot later, I can just concentrate on putting the Cummins Diesel powered horse before the 4L80 cart!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
More interesting links...
A 4L80 Conversion...
GM HydraMatic 4L80e conversion information

And from that a link to a company that upgrades them...
4L80E Performance Transmission from PATC ,4L80E

Now they state that the standard 16 element intermediate sprag is replaced with a 34 element item... and interestingly, that is a suggested upgrade for the TH400 too.
Aside from that is the normal upgraded frictions, steels and bands.

Another interesting bit of info is that the Megasquirt fuel injection system can be modified as a transmission controller too...
Automatic Transmission controller for Microsquirt / MS2 / GPIO
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Question Diesels and 4l80e's

( "Am I correct is saying that the 4L80 is able to be put behind a Cummins Diesel without issues??)

I do not know the right answer to that question. 4L80e's were definitely put behind GM pickup diesels.
You need someone with much more experience than me.
But, I have always been told that you cannot mix diesel transmissions and gas transmissions. I have also heard that the inline Cummins diesels torque pulses destroy transmissions not designed for them. Also, that maybe Gearvendor overdrives do not like Cummins inline diesels.
(For my previous statements, I do not know if the info was really correct or not). I would do some serious checking before spending any money or physical energy.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
If I were to put a Cummins in my moho, I would buy a donor vehicle and use the matched engine and transmission. Why go through through the hassle to mate a 4L80E when you already have a great matched set up.

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Cummins and trans' swap, instead of 4L80e swap

What Snapstream said with bells on it!
I could have bought a neighbors wrecked 2002 1ton Dodge with turbo Cummins and automatic overdrive transmission, (3 yrs ago) for $1800.
I did not do it, because I did not see it as a swap out that I could realistically accomplish, due to my extreme lack of strength. That has not changed much. But I could have got help from other friends and neighbors, who have helped with the 4L80. Or even paid someone for the heavy work
In retrospect this would have changed the nature and the fuel consumption of the 345 radically, for probably less than $4000 total expenditure.
Oh well, 20-20 hindsight.

P.S Has anyone made out the text across my Avatar Pic?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I did some research last night and it can be done...
Its seems tho, that the transmissions of choice are Allison's or the A518(48RE).
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
What Snapstream said with bells on it!
I could have bought a neighbors wrecked 2002 1ton Dodge with turbo Cummins and automatic overdrive transmission, (3 yrs ago) for $1800.
I did not do it, because I did not see it as a swap out that I could realistically accomplish, due to my extreme lack of strength. That has not changed much. But I could have got help from other friends and neighbors, who have helped with the 4L80. Or even paid someone for the heavy work
In retrospect this would have changed the nature and the fuel consumption of the 345 radically, for probably less than $4000 total expenditure.
Oh well, 20-20 hindsight.

Well I have been called a lot of things but snapstream is a new one. Rich if you look closely at my avatar you will see a little smart pushing my moho. Actually I have two smarts in case one of them gets tired.

By the way does anybody know how to enlarge the avatar pics? I would really like to take a good look at some of them but have never figured out how.

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
By the way does anybody know how to enlarge the avatar pics? I would really like to take a good look at some of them but have never figured out how.

Cheers, Dan
I don't think you can enlarge them. They are actually saved as really small images (something like 150 x 150 or so) and any effort to blow them up just leaves them looking horrible.

I'm like you, I'd like to look at some of the closer as well.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post

Cheers, Dan
Me too! I've often wished I could get a good look at avatar pics. Just earlier in this thread for instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
My response was, "Hey, there is text on his avatar!" I never even noticed it before. (Of course, contrast is your friend for legibility.)