Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Heres hoping they have a half price engine and transmission day sometime locally, at my favorite Junkyard...
Couple of years back I snagged a 5 speed manual trans and everything I needed for a stick conversion on my Mercedes Diesel for under $100...

Last time I was there, they had a bunch of Airport style buses... Now I will take more notice of what Chassis/Engine/Trans!

Found this exploded diagram and parts list/cost for the 4L80 transmission mounted parking brake... might help..

P3 PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM/PROP SHAFT;. Fits: P30 VAN | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Brad if you choose to stay with the rear axle parking brake I don't see a need to change the tailshaft housing. Just remove the backing plate and the drum and bolt the flange up to the drive shaft.

On another point if I had a choice I would keep the axle brake. I have leveling jacks and if you get one side up too far and loose traction on one rear wheel, with a drive line brake you loose your parking brake. With the axle brake you still have one wheel holding. Large modern parks are not a problem but in some of the more interesting parks the pads are not so level and in the rain and mud it can get interesting.
Dan you have a real good point about the parking pads in parks. I've been trying to forget about the time I lowered the rear levelers on our 310 enough and ended up lifting the rear wheels off the ground and we were on just enough of an incline that the motorhome rolled backwards and hit the curb. If the curb hadn't been there we'd have been in the woods And no, I didn't have the parking brake set Needless to say that was somewhat embarrassing

Both you and Rich bring up good points about sticking with the axle e-brake so I think that is the route I'll go. I can save the e-brake off of the 4L80E for the 310 as spare parts, I'm guessing they are the same parts.

Thanks for the advice!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
[QUOTE=Keyair;1220201]Last time I was there, they had a bunch of Airport style buses... Now I will take more notice of what Chassis/Engine/Trans!

Whenever I'm in a junk yard I always check out any of the bigger trucks that I see. Sometimes you find an odd ball part that might come in handy.

Quote:
Found this exploded diagram and parts list/cost for the 4L80 transmission mounted parking brake... might help..
By not using the 4L80E drum parking brake I don't have to do anything to have brakes. I'm all for the easy way out
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #74
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
[ Hang in there Rich.]
[You may want to look at my trails blood and tears when I did the 4L80e]

Brad and Mel, Thanks for posting! I have looked and looked through the threads for the Airstream 4L80 info, And have not found it.
I know it was there because I read through it all in 2009/10. Can you point the way back to those threads?
Rich.
Copied and pasted to 'search'. This is the treads: <http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/allison-questions-how-many-cans-of-worms-can-a-28-motorhome-hold-69221.html> and <http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/4l80e-what-have-i-done-75774.html>
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #75
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

So I have to decide if I want to use the original brakes on the differential which would mean replacing the tail shaft housing on the transmission or use the the drum brake on the transmission which means figuring out the cabling issue and abandoning the original parking brakes at the differential.

I probably won't worry about this to much until I get farther down the road.

Brad
Don't need to replace the tail shaft housing, just take the e-brake assembly off and go for it. Your may have frame holes that line up that way. With the e-brake on I had to move the cross-member forward to clear the back plate of the e-brake.

[Now that it is a couple of years down the road are you happy with the conversion?]
Yes, very happy. Less engine noise, RPM of 22-2600 (was 32-3600) going down the highway, less engine heat, gas mileage sadly about the same. May of gotten the same results by rebuilding the 545 Allison and changing the rear end gears but the cost would be about the same
Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I'm not real familiar with the 4L80E set up but when Airstream installed the Isuzu's they moved the transmission back a few inches, in-line six vs. V8. All they did was fabricate a Z shaped bracket to move the trans mount back. No real changes to the crossmember. I think you guys may be creating a problem unnecessarily.

Cheers, Dan
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I'm not real familiar with the 4L80E set up but when Airstream installed the Isuzu's they moved the transmission back a few inches, in-line six vs. V8. All they did was fabricate a Z shaped bracket to move the trans mount back. No real changes to the crossmember.
That sure would be a nice find if it works out that way. I'll be replacing a TH400 with the 4L80E and I do know that the overall length of the 4L80E is about 3+ inches more than the TH400. If I can get by just sliding the cross member back a little bit I'd be one happy camper.

Quote:
I think you guys may be creating a problem unnecessarily.

Cheers, Dan
I'll guarantee you it wouldn't be the first time that I create more problems than I solve while working on something
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

I'll guarantee you it wouldn't be the first time that I create more problems than I solve while working on something
Come on now, you weren't creating problems, it was all part of your self -education program. In these days of political nonsense, there is a spin for everything.

Cheers, Dan
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Thanks!

Great links guys. Thank you very much!
I will re-study them over the weekend.
Getting ready today for a possible brush by Hurricane Sandy, so no motorhome work till next week.

Ok, now I have a Buddhist friend, and a pal from Afghanistan, and they are both in agreement, and telling me that mechanical problems with our Airstreams are internal.
That (for me) it is all a matter of my perception of the problem, and that my attitude towards reality is much too western. Sigh...
So this weekend while Sandy goes by, I will try to meditate upon the meaning of Airstreaming, and project my karma for the next three days towards the enlightenment and fullfilment of my transmission swap..... They say everything will be alright in my driveway by Tuesday !
They are so smart, and helpful.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Come on now, you weren't creating problems, it was all part of your self -education program. In these days of political nonsense, there is a spin for everything.

Cheers, Dan
The real problem with my "self" education program is the teacher that is involved

Brad
Old 10-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #81
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Just go ahead and plan to take the drive shift into a drive-line shop. After the new trany is in, call the shop and they can tell you want measurement they will need to made the drive shaft all new, good and ready to roll.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
Ok, now I have a Buddhist friend, and a pal from Afghanistan, and they are both in agreement, and telling me that mechanical problems with our Airstreams are internal.
Did you make a mistake with the last word...
I think you meant Eternal...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ahhh... the meaning of life for Airstreamers
The zen of motorized Wallyness
Actually, I was having trouble understanding what they didn't understand about machinery and mechanical things. Plus, I suspect they were telling me my mind was supposed to lift the machine through the breakdowns
But, considering the average condition of older vehicles in central Asia and their, ahem.... roads. Perhaps they know something.......we don"t

Anyway, got more parts in for modifying the shift, and the transmission mount this afternoon. Plus my frame was factory drilled for a trans mount position just the right distance back for a 4L80e. When this storm is passed, back to it!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Very glad to report that Sandy passed here as a 48 hr wind and rain event. First band to pass Friday had about 20 nasty looking tails drooping down from the clouds, but nothing actually turned into a twister. Everything A.OK.
Having been through multiple Hurricanes, the destruction up north makes my heart ache for the people who found themselves in harms way.
Too wet to do anything outside till this A.M.
Working on steering column shift adapter for new cable shift, need to do a bit more fiddling with it. Will post pics and method when completed.
All the best. Cheers.