Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Exclamation Tune Up/Oil Change Questions...Urgent kind of..

We are about o bring our 1989 345 LE for an oil change and was hoping to get other things done... I know these questions have probably been asked before, but cant find the right thread/exact answers... so here is my short list:

1) What should we expect to pay for an oil/filter change?
2) How much to change the tranny and other fluids for the engine/chassis?
3) Should we get wheel bearing packed? if so, what is that cost?
4) How about brakes? Should I get them checked?
5) Belts, should we get the belts changed too?
6) How much would changing onan generator oil and filter cost?
7) How much should I excpect to pay for the jacks (levelling) to be filled and leak checked?

Is there anything I should ask be done while we are there? This is our first time taking our beloved home to the shop..and we dont want to get burnt hard....

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
http://www.AirstreamLoft.com

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Depends on who does the service. The standard "city" hourly rate is about $85 to $110 these days. I'd expect the O-F-L to be at least $50; the ATF around $100 to $150 (machine flush); PSF a little less and rear axle fluid $120 or above. Coolant flush out to be north of $100 as well. Brake fluid change is also a good idea; no idea on price, there.

I'll let the motorhome owners step up, but if it were mine I would never have left the NE U.S. without changing ALL fluids, belts, hoses, filters and associated fasteners. I'd also change the primary and secondary ignition wires/harnesses, as well as any vacuum hoses to be found under the hood.
I've had enough irritation at having to do some jobs several times to have learnt:

Buy only new factory replacement parts (unless a better quality aftermarket part is known)

Repair and maintain each system as a whole.

Have the electrical system checked under load.

Replace all exterior lamps; replace all fuses with new; be diligent about corrosion on electrical contacts.

Good luck. PM me if you ever decide to head to Corpus Christi/Rockport/Padre Island National Seashore area if I may be of help.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I would also check out the A/C system soon. Check outlet temperatures on the engine-run A/C (look for variations from each vent of 5F or more); consider having the system depleted and having the shop hook up a vacuum pump to see if there are no leaks; I would also have the accumulator/drier replaced before recharging. Hoses can be rebuilt if needed, and there is no real reason to convert to 134 refrigerant as the old 12 is still available and does a better job short of changing out the entire system.

In Texas, A/C is NOT optional for remaining alert and mindful behind the wheel. There are some very good A/C techs in this state as there are in Florida and Arizona.

Good people here:

Automotive AC Information Forum - ACKITS.COM

Now is the the best calendar time to do this work, before the heat of summer (starts no later than mid-May) starts to back up the shops.

Also check the outlet temps of your roof A/C unit[s].

Also, check your unit for places for bugs to get in. Where I live there are, alone, more than 60-species of mosquitoes. You'll want to familiarize yourself with how to avoid mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks and spiders. You'll also want to learn how to recognize and avoid rattlesnakes and water moccasins. Hiking and outdoor living need a bit of precaution.

All the best
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote