Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Transmission Removal-Argosy MH?

Quick question for the group: Does anyone happen to know if the TH400 transmission on a 1977 (20') Argosy MH can be removed WITHOUT (also) pulling the motor? I figured ONE of you guys has been through this particular joyful event - thanks in advance!
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGanzman
Quick question for the group: Does anyone happen to know if the TH400 transmission on a 1977 (20') Argosy MH can be removed WITHOUT (also) pulling the motor?
Yes. You just need to drop the drive-shaft or front half of a 2 piece drive-shaft first. You want the transmission out when you pull the motor anyhow. The motor is hard enough to get out by itself.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
So once you get the old TH400 out can you put an Allison 4spd unit into say a 1984?? What are the options when looking ahead? I've heard lot's of good things from those who have the Alison vs. the 400. Curious.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Quick question for the group: Does anyone happen to know if the TH400 transmission on a 1977 (20') Argosy MH can be removed WITHOUT (also) pulling the motor? I figured ONE of you guys has been through this particular joyful event - thanks in advance!
What Guido said. Also, when the time comes to take out the engine, it will be mucho easier if you take off the exhaust and intake manifolds before attempting removal.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
What Guido said. Also, when the time comes to take out the engine, it will be mucho easier if you take off the exhaust and intake manifolds before attempting removal.
Prolly wouldn't hurt to take the heads off, too - manhandle 'em right outta the doghouse. . .
Old 09-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Prolly wouldn't hurt to take the heads off, too - manhandle 'em right outta the doghouse. . .
It would be even easier, if you are assembling it yourself, to install the heads after putting the engine back in the coach.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Back to Glen's question: has anyone done the Allison conversion? Results? Part numbers? Worth the effort?

In search of the bulletproof transmission,
Bob in Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
Back to Glen's question: has anyone done the Allison conversion? Results? Part numbers? Worth the effort?

In search of the bulletproof transmission,
Bob in Nashville
Well, for my $, here's the direction I'm going:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm

The "Quadzilla" was brought to my attention in another thread. My own research on the company - PATC - indicates that these guys really stand behind their work, and have had VERY minimal problems/returns. In talking to Don at PATC about my MH, a '77 Argosy 20', he felt like the Quadzilla would fit my needs, since I indicated no problem with having to manually shift up and down (In "traffic", you'd only be going up and down between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd anyway); alternately, one could go with the "Level 2" version of the 4L80E and use the standalone electronic shift computer kit for same. . .
Don indicated that he was not aware of anyone making a shift computer kit to mate a (newer) Allison X-mission to a noncomputer engine, FWIW - anyone want to chime in on this?