Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2003, 12:25 PM   #1

(total newbie question)Compressor/Airbags in a 76 argosy 24?

Hello Folks,
I am in the process of buying a 1976 Argosy 24, and the info I have gleaned from reading this forum has been of great assistance. What I am confused about is the whole airbag/compressor thing. To the best of my ability to check, the coach I am looking at does not have a compressor (the person selling it is a absolutely useless for info, as he is selling it for a friend.) From what I have been reading, it seems that many of the argosy/airstream coaches have airbags that are inflated by an onboard compressor?
Did the 1976 argosy 24 come with this? Any info would be most appreciated (and wish me luck in closing this deal!)

-Thomas
76Argosy24_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:40 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Good luck on your new purchase. There are some real Argosy experts on here that I'm sure will chime in but I don't think airbags started until 1978.

The best thing to do is to crawl under the coach and look around. (Good idea to do this anyway as most chassis parts are easy to see and touch and check for broekn/missin items)

Many of our older MHs have been repaired, upgraded or "farmer fixed" by several previous owners so getting all around and under the coach will help you understand what you might be facing for repairs, imporvements and upgrades once you get your new baby home.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
My 74 24' doesn't have rear air bags but all of them should have fronts from Chevy. Rears are pretty easy to add if you need them.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:04 PM   #4

thanks for the quick responses

Thanks for the info folks.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined (have been doing tune ups and small stuff on my cars for a while), but I had a truck mechanic do a pre purchase check for me (compression check and the usual list). Things look pretty good, other than wet back left brakes (seller agreed to split cost of brake job) and a minor tranny leak.

The body is a tad bit rough (paint and a little dent or two) and the interior was partially stripped out by the PO, so I have a fair bit of cosmetic work to do (yay!). I currently own a small class c, and the first thing I noticed when checking this argosy out was the difference in manufacturer quality (ie, my class c has none).

again this forum has been of great help in researching this purchase, so thanks to all.

-Thomas (feeling hopeful)
76Argosy24_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Integral Compressor

If the airbags are "add on" or "helper" type installations, they do not require an onboard compressor.

The only suspensions requiring the onboard system are the "working" suspensions that actually sense coach height and self adjust to compensate for load.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote