Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
I don't build them, I fly them. And as to the corrosion is where and why? My mechanics have never hear of this before.
Just saying...
supercubep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Avgas, 100 Low lead, has 4 times more lead than the old 80 octane Avgas. Any retailer can show you their delivery invoice. It comes with a spec sheet listing all components and the amounts. The fuel is especially handled and kept isolated from all other products after being carefully filtered. But, it is loaded with lead and will eventually clobber up cylinder heads, valve stems, and spark plugs. It will trash a catalytic converter in a hurry. I think the better solution is alcohol free gasoline with stabil, or if unavailable, regular gas with a marine additive to take care of the alcohol. The marine techs are telling me that Evenrude now has the best alcohol additive package in their stabilizer. At the pump, the lowest octane has the least alcohol needed to raise the octane, but it is still too much alcohol for winter storage. We have run our boat for years with the lowest octane auto gas and Stabil, but recently started using Evenrude's stabilizer. The damage through the years has been a couple of rubber parts, i.e., squeeze bulb and diaphram(s). guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
80/87 Octane AV gasoline no longer exists. 80/87 had one-half milliliter of lead per gallon. Grade 100LL (low lead) has two milliliters of lead per gallon to create 100 octane.
The whole point of this discussion of fuel preservation in winter months or long term storage. As I stated before, it is not good for modern emission systems used in today's hi tech vehicles. It works well for small engines, chain saws, marine engines, mowers, older vehicles and in generators. Storage over, burn it out, run the crap gas again.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I once purchased a chevy truck that had been stored many years. The seller told me he added diesel fuel to the fuel tank to help prevent rusting. I have no idea what the mix ratio was, but it seemed to have worked as the tank was in good shape upon my purchase. I understand the theory behind why this worked, so maybe worth a try.

I also think that fuel agitation helps prevent tank rusting issues. So, maybe get your rig on the road once every 30 days or so just so the gasoline recoats the tank and "remixes".

Commence with shooting holes in this theory.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercubep View Post
I don't build them, I fly them. And as to the corrosion is where and why? My mechanics have never hear of this before.
Just saying...
As I said before; Aero engines are designed for Avgas. Auto engines are not.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
And your expertise is? Just curious?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Topping off the fuel & winterizing it, what grade of gas do you use?

I’ve spent a lot of years dealing with lead fouled plugs and carbon (lead and combustion byproducts) buildup on pistons and valve seats in aircraft engines. I would stay away from 100LL. Higher octane will only help if you are experiencing detonation. The reason they use it in high compression and turbocharged engines. Higher octane fuels have a greater portion of the more volatile (shorter molecular chain) refined out. You might even find your engine starts and idles better when cold with lower octane. I don’t know of any significant quality differences between octane ratings. There are some big quality differences between brands. That unmarked tanker truck dumping fuel in the Quicky Mart got the cheapest crap available. I’d just top it off with a good brand. Ethanol free if it’s available from a reputable source. Add your favorite stabilizer and call it good. After it sits a bit you might crack any sump drain plugs and see if you get a little water. Might change the filter too.

As a side note: Ethanol has a RON octane rating of 113. It’s mixed with lower octane rated fuel to give the overall rating of 87 or whatever they are selling. Luckily they are limited to 10% or we would be burning worst crap than we are.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Here in NY they use to require branded gas stations to only sell their brand fuel, but several years ago, they dropped that rule, so you cant be sure of what kind of quality you are getting here. I use to use Hess until they were rebranded and I think some Mobil retailers are brand faithful, so I use them when I can.
http://csnews.com/new-law-allows-ny-retailers-sell-unbranded-gas
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'd recommend non-ethanol gas but I am not a fan of Stabil. I have a friend who ran a golf course maintenance shop in Nashville and he said after a few years of using Stabil they were experiencing problems in the spring. They switched to Seafoam without the problems. I buy Seafoam by the gallon and use it in my stored 5 gallon cans of non-ethanol (4 of them) and periodically treat the family cars and trucks with it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
I'd recommend non-ethanol gas but I am not a fan of Stabil. I have a friend who ran a golf course maintenance shop in Nashville and he said after a few years of using Stabil they were experiencing problems in the spring. They switched to Seafoam without the problems. I buy Seafoam by the gallon and use it in my stored 5 gallon cans of non-ethanol (4 of them) and periodically treat the family cars and trucks with it.

I’ve experienced a lot starting problems with small engines on Stabil.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercubep View Post
And your expertise is? Just curious?
Canadian 'Aircraft Maintenance Engineer'; what you guys call an ' A&P, A-I' mechanic.
Licenced on all Aircraft up to 12,500 lbs. plus all four D.H DASH 8s, and the Canadaire CRJ Jet. (No balloons.)

Was the 8000th. licenced pilot in Toronto, [1957], but let that go a few years ago. (Too costly)

NOW?? Paper Airplanes!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote