Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

tire type?

I have a 345 and looking for new tires(dry rot). anyone with suggestions about mfg etc. The current tires are michelins-have looked on web sites with no success-they do not list tire size 8 R 19.5. Concerned about general road noise and ride. Two places that quoted prices are tire mfg's I have never heard of i.e. "Pride Tire".
mlmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmarch
I have a 345 and looking for new tires(dry rot). anyone with suggestions about mfg etc. The current tires are michelins-have looked on web sites with no success-they do not list tire size 8 R 19.5.......
Michelin still supports the 19.5 tire size - You will probably have to contact a "larger" chain for more details - I bought a pair last year from "Direct Tire Town". Sam's and Costco also carry tires for the 345, but you have to look in the catalogue at the tire counter....I found a couple on the "last page" at the local Sam's store.

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
I have a 345 and looking for new tires(dry rot). anyone with suggestions about mfg etc. The current tires are michelins-have looked on web sites with no success-they do not list tire size 8 R 19.5. Concerned about general road noise and ride. Two places that quoted prices are tire mfg's I have never heard of i.e. "Pride Tire".
8R19.5 is still a volume tire size. It is a UPS, Fedex size. It is a "truck tire size" but, I would expect to find it by all three major manufacturers. I think you will find that Goodyear's model designation is G670 for a steel/steel.

I don't know what you are looking for in terms of ride & comfort vs. mileage and durability. The first decision is whether to buy a fabric/steel or a steel/steel. This means polyester fabric carcass/steel belts or steel wire carcass/steel belts.

Maybe some of the folks who have the motor homes will give you an opinion on fabric vs. wire carcass. Look at your current tires for the const. detail on the sidewall.

Then start looking for dealers that handle truck tires. RV dealers, Camping world, major tire dealers.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I got a couple for another forum member, IIRC, they were Goodyear G145's, I will PM him and make sure.
Terry
Old 11-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Re: tires

Hello,

I too am going to have to get all new tires for my 1985 325 A/S. My tires
are mostly from the 1980's according to the date stamps. And they are mostly all weather checked.

I have found the tires at "Discount Tire Co" in our area. They are a chain
so perhaps they are in your area. I got a quote of "tire off" and "tire on" and
balanced etc for approx 250.00 each. Michelins and Bridgestone (bridge
stone are a few bucks cheaper tire).

If your not familiar with it...They have a balancer called a "Hunter 9700" brand. This machine uses a computer to determine the out of roundness of the rim and the out of roundness of tire and match them up so the tire runs
smooth. (as you well know you can balance a square or rectangle if you
have to But they don't run to smooth.) After they match these two areas
then they balance the tire. There is also a product out that most all truck
companys use is called "equal" and its put inside of your tire while its de-
mounted and this is used in place of the lead balance weights.Comes in dif-
size packages. The 8R195 takes 6 oz. package according to what I was
told by the tire experts. They toss the package in the tire and the
plastic bag falls to pieces and the stuff does its job.

I talked to one of our viewers (AccessMaster) a few months back and I hope
he is still watching us. He is very knowledgeable about tires.

I am interested to know at what temperature should we say or consider that
the tire is running too hot! There by indicating we should raise the air
pressure somewhat. I purchased a point and shoot temperature gage to
help me with this process. But is it 100 Deg or 150 Deg or 200 Deg. Etc. perhaps there is a temp that would be unsafe to operate at.

Another side light. I used to work with an old over the road truck driver
and I used to watch him return from a trip and take out a small size ball-
pien hammer and walk around and (whack) each tire. Looking for flats.

I decided to try to learn this system (its a quick check only for when you take a pitt stop ) and went around my bus this AM and low and behold. My inside duel on the right rear didn't sound right. I got out a tire gage and it had (0) tire pressure.
I really don't know how long it was this way. I haven't used it to much.
So tomorrow AM will be a tire fixing challange.

Hope this helps someone.
ODD