Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Maggie,
When the tire guy shows you how to tighten the lug nuts, ask him to let you try one but with a manual torque wrench, not the air drive units tire shops typically use. You may or may not have the strength to get to the proper torque. I think Protag said it was 177 lb. ft. If you can do it and want to have the tools on hand, get one of these or something similar from another place like Sears, Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot, and a socket the right size for your lug nuts. You may also need a short extension depending on how deep the dish of the wheel is.

1/2" Torque Wrench

In my opinion the HF tools are imminently suitable for occasional use like they see on our trailers and vans.

I carry one on my trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I think Protag said it was 177 lb. ft.
133 lb-ft for lug nuts.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks. I was too lazy to go back and find your post.

Al
Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Maggie
You may want to think about alloy wheels like you saw on our Interstate. They are stronger than the stock steel wheels, no caps and I believe the lug bolts are stronger than original equipment, they also have a different flare angle I believe makes them more secure first time around. I paid about 550.00 for 5 wheels to especially fit the Sprinter, including the new lug bolts and metal valve stems. All problems we encountered before were solved. Call us if you want the name of the wheels. Sorry you're having this problem.

Ed
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #45
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have "electric" impact wrench... With one of these:
Blue Point BTQS12T Torque Stick Socket 140 Foot Pounds 24mm 8 1 2 Inches | eBay
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all the suggestions and info, everybody.

163,000+ miles, and we have not had this problem before. We drove together, and if there had been noise issues Doug would have spoken of it and I therefore would have known. I do remember us picking a screw or something up in a tire, and going in someplace to have it fixed.

I am certain Doug did not carry a lug wrench when we traveled....none in the tool bag, nor stashed in the rear...so there was something different this time. This was the third tire rotation since he died, I believe.

I will talk with the tire guys next week, when I hopefully will have the Interstate back.

I already spoke with them about buying a wrench, and they are glad to show me what to do.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #47
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Maggie, I am beyond familiar with what you just went through. Glad you and Lily are OK. I have learned a LOT about ALUMINUM trailer wheels and the proper torque setting. There are a LOT of confounding factors with both wheels, studs, and lug nuts. This included a 1:1 with Chris Burch who runs the service part of Airstream on what is (and is not) the proper torque for a 16" aluminum trailer wheel. Fact is, there are a LOT of variables involved when wheels are new, and if you take them off for wheel rotation, or replacement. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Barry.

I will get it figured out, and what to do.....even if that is finding a Firestone dealer periodically to have them checked.....which is probably not a bad idea.

Somehow, I don't see myself developing intimate knowledge of lug nut torqueing requirements, and then performing too much of that myself.

Something basic I can do, I will never be nor aspire to be a mechanic.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #49
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
The good news is that the odds are now in your favor that this will NEVER happen again! For sure, you'll be on the alert to double check that whoever does your tire work in the future gets it right. You now have a story to tell them!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 08-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Maggie - sorry for the hijack of your thread

Barry,
I went through the drum/stud/wheel torque quandary when I changed my wheels. I got widely differing numbers depending on where I looked. I saw one writeup that made sense to me that said the torque should be as determined by the stud. My 2001 manual has a number for steel wheels and a different number for aluminum wheels. Airstream has a third number or maybe even third and fourth for the Sendels. What did you come up with talking to Chris?

Thanks,

Al
Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #51
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Al, I have the Airstream Engineering Spec Sheet for TRAILER wheels in front of me. (Chris gave this to me in his office.) 15" or 16" steel wheels with either 6 or 5.5" bolt circles should be set between 90-120 ft lbs of torque. For ALUMINUM wheels 15" or 16" the setting is 110-120 ft lbs. The trick with aluminum wheels is the necessity for checking torque after they are first installed (this would include remounting). I order for the lug nut to seat properly in the (somewhat) softer aluminum, you need to check the torque after around 40 miles, then at around 100, again at 200. I found that every time I stopped to check the torque on the new wheel(s), I would get 1 or 2 clicks more. After 200 miles, they were well seated. HOWEVER, out of an abundance of caution, I carry the humongously long torque wrench with me and check all the lug nuts prior to starting a trip and along the way. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 08-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
133 lb-ft for lug nuts.
Maggie has an older 4 wheel Interstate with lug bolts. The 133 lb-ft is the number for the newer Interstates on Sprinter 3500 chassis with dual rear wheels and lug nuts. I don' think it applies to Maggie's Interstate.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #53
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Maggie has an older 4 wheel Interstate with lug bolts. The 133 lb-ft is the number for the newer Interstates on Sprinter 3500 chassis with dual rear wheels and lug nuts. I don' think it applies to Maggie's Interstate.
In that case it is 177 lb-ft for lug bolts and steel wheels, 133 lb-ft for alloy wheels and lug bolts. I stand corrected.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Al, I have the Airstream Engineering Spec Sheet for TRAILER wheels in front of me. (Chris gave this to me in his office.) 15" or 16" steel wheels with either 6 or 5.5" bolt circles should be set between 90-120 ft lbs of torque. For ALUMINUM wheels 15" or 16" the setting is 110-120 ft lbs. The trick with aluminum wheels is the necessity for checking torque after they are first installed (this would include remounting). I order for the lug nut to seat properly in the (somewhat) softer aluminum, you need to check the torque after around 40 miles, then at around 100, again at 200. I found that every time I stopped to check the torque on the new wheel(s), I would get 1 or 2 clicks more. After 200 miles, they were well seated. HOWEVER, out of an abundance of caution, I carry the humongously long torque wrench with me and check all the lug nuts prior to starting a trip and along the way. Barry
Thanks Barry. I have observed the same need for re-torquing up to about 200 mi. After that, they stabilized.

Again, apologies to all for hijacking the thread.

Al
Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have the Interstate back....new wheel/tire, axle and everything else is okay. Just under $1,000.

The bad news is...they really can't tell me what happened, minus the wheel/tire which fell off and is in a cornfield somewhere west of Magnolia, Il.

The wheel would tell them a lot, they said....loose lug nuts would quickly damage their aluminum surrounds, leaving a telltale trail.

Likely a freak accident, was the conclusion, not something that could have been prevented.

They do not recommend me buying a torque wrench, and trying to maintain these myself to any extent whatsoever.

Better to come in there, or into another tire shop, to have the lug nuts tightened properly....is what they said.

If I hear those kind of noises again, and am in a remote area, better to call AAA than continue driving....is what they said.

It is disconcerting to think there isn't something I can do to prevent this from happening again. I do know I won't ask a teenager to check and tighten the lug nuts again. Who knew it was so complicated.

I am not going to let myself be fearful, but do know we were darned lucky.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #56
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have the Interstate back....new wheel/tire, axle and everything else is okay. Just under $1,000.

The bad news is...they really can't tell me what happened, minus the wheel/tire which fell off and is in a cornfield somewhere west of Magnolia, Il.

The wheel would tell them a lot, they said....loose lug nuts would quickly damage their aluminum surrounds, leaving a telltale trail.

Likely a freak accident, was the conclusion, not something that could have been prevented.

They do not recommend me buying a torque wrench, and trying to maintain these myself to any extent whatsoever.

Better to come in there, or into another tire shop, to have the lug nuts tightened properly....is what they said.

If I hear those kind of noises again, and am in a remote area, better to call AAA than continue driving....is what they said.

It is disconcerting to think there isn't something I can do to prevent this from happening again. I do know I won't ask a teenager to check and tighten the lug nuts again. Who knew it was so complicated.

I am not going to let myself be fearful, but do know we were darned lucky.

Maggie
Methinks it was less luck and more a big Guardian Angel..... But, that is just my way of seeing things... I have found many feathers from similar encounters... Also, I bet the tire assembly is now in a trophy room somewhere..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I tend to agree with you, Channing.

I had a brush with death in 2002, and felt I was saved by the same kind of intervention.

Maggie