Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thin Wall Socket?

My spark plugs have the metal heat shields around six of the 8. My 5/8 spark plug socket will not get inside the ring to pull the plug. I went looking for a thin wall 5/8 plug socket to do this with , so i don;t have to pull the manifold bolts off to get the heat shield out of the way. Have not yet found one. Anyone using these, and where did you get it?
I remember going thru this awhile back when I changed the plugs, but the guy I borrowed the socket from is gone from my area.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
My spark plugs have the metal heat shields around six of the 8. My 5/8 spark plug socket will not get inside the ring to pull the plug. I went looking for a thin wall 5/8 plug socket to do this with , so i don;t have to pull the manifold bolts off to get the heat shield out of the way. Have not yet found one. Anyone using these, and where did you get it?
I remember going thru this awhile back when I changed the plugs, but the guy I borrowed the socket from is gone from my area.
Try Sears, they have most tools. If that doesn't work, go to your local friendly auto repair shop and find out when the Snap-on man comes around. He will have one. If you have auto shop at your school, they can probably get you one.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Thumbs up

We have 3 tool guys that roam the strip of car dealers where I work. While you're on the tool truck don't forget to look at the locking socket extensions. I can tell you from experiance that the best setup for getting those hidden plugs out is a swivel spark plug socket and a 6 inch locking extension. BEWARE. The prices for pro grade tools may leave the uninitiated gasping for air.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I tried Sears, they don't carry them. The Napa auto parts guys sent me there, they didn' t have em either. Snap On will probably have them at 25 bucks a socket, but I also want to try Northern Tools which is near me.
How are you other 454 guys pulling the plugs? Taking the manifold bolts loose?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
got a bench grinder?

alan

just make your own!

go get a cheap socket and grind down the outside with a bench grinder. throw the rest of the cash in the beer fund!

john
Old 11-08-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I have one from Sears and one from Snap On, but Sears does seem to be eliminating anything but basic tools (great marketing, warranty for life and quit making it 5 years later).

Get 6 point sockets if you are pulling mainfold nuts, they won't round the corners like 12 point.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks. Looks like the bench grinder may do the job.
I have had little luck finding the 5/8 size. Think a 16mm will work? they are available.
Or I will plan on manifold bolt removal when I change the plugs out.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How about this? I don't know if it is in the stores but is what I have, is not flex as the page says.

Check Lowes if there is one near you. I had to do a on the road repair a month ago, bought a 1/2" breaker bar there and put a 3 ft. piece of pipe on it. They are guaranteed for life, don't know if they have thin wall sockets, but it is worth a shot if there is one near you.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I saw the Craftsman at Sears, it was about the same as my S&K and Stanley.
But, i did check a web site and the manufacturer says there "thin wall" deep spark plug socket is sold at Lowe's. I will check it out.
Guess I should put on some headers and forget this problem.
At least the rig is running without any problems. The one burnt spark plug wire was replaced, and now its smooth again.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
update- I bought an inexpensive socket (2.50) at Home depot. Ground it thinner on my bench grinder, until it fit thru the holes. I changed all the plugs today without a hitch. Happy to report the old plugs looked pretty good, just mildly greyed out, no oil, no real carbon either. Thats always a relief.
The socket took quite a bit of grinding to get it right but now I have one exclusively for my 454.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
alan

the best tools you have in the box are ones you make yourself!

looks like the beer fund just got a little fatter!

john
Old 11-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
thanks. Looks like the bench grinder may do the job.
I have had little luck finding the 5/8 size. Think a 16mm will work? they are available.
16mm is the metric equivalent to 5/8 "
The big difference is the 16mm won't have the little rubber thingy (technical term there) to hold the plug, and keep it from getting damaged wile installing the plugs.
Terry
Old 11-29-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had tried the 16mm also, but the same problem occurred, the wall was too thick to enter the heat shields. Weird I guess, but maybe mine are somehow tighter in diameter than others. Glad to have a socket that works now.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The metal shields that form heat shields was the problems? I was having fits with a couple that had been bent on my 454 in my Suburban. I just tweaked them till my socket was easy to get on when I was replacing a blown gasket and its been fine ever since.

Once I have them off it became apparent the problem was someone tried to over torque the bolts to try to get the blown gasket to seal. In the process they bent the tab that goes under the bolts and that twisted the shield as well. When I reinstalled I was careful to only torque to the factory spec and watched the shields to make sure they didn't turn.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote