Old 02-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
$14938.63 Plus Tax!

$14938.63 plus tax, that is the quote we were given for a new Isuzu turbo diesel engine. Ours lost oil pressure 100 miles into a Florida vacation and by time I got pulled over and shut down the engine it was ruined. This engine had 60,000 miles on it and had just been serviced! I've been told that the wrong oil filter was used and this may have caused the problem. The mechanic showed me the filter and it obviously had been forced into the cannister and appeared to be too long for this cannister. The Isuzu mechanic stated that the oil might have leaked out the bottom.
Needless to say I am sick. Not only did we loose our vacation but now our wonderful Classic MO sits at Standard Truck Center, Chicago, IL. I have signed a work order which was almost as much as my first house and I see a fight with the mechanic who did the oil change coming up.
I will welcome any encouragement.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
That's awful, Kent. I know you've got to be absolutely sick about this. All I can say beyond that is document and photograph everything in at least duplicate, and get ready to own the facility that did this. I know not everyone has the ability to do this, but this is why NOBODY touches my truck but me. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the wrong oil, too.

I'm pulling for ya, in any case.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
$14938.63 plus tax, that is the quote we were given for a new Isuzu turbo diesel engine. Ours lost oil pressure 100 miles into a Florida vacation and by time I got pulled over and shut down the engine it was ruined. This engine had 60,000 miles on it and had just been serviced! I've been told that the wrong oil filter was used and this may have caused the problem. The mechanic showed me the filter and it obviously had been forced into the cannister and appeared to be too long for this cannister. The Isuzu mechanic stated that the oil might have leaked out the bottom.
Needless to say I am sick. Not only did we loose our vacation but now our wonderful Classic MO sits at Standard Truck Center, Chicago, IL. I have signed a work order which was almost as much as my first house and I see a fight with the mechanic who did the oil change coming up.
The same thing happened to me once. 2 things to try; insurance (yours) and insurance (the original mechanics). If that fails; attorney.

Keep everything especially the old filter! Get names and write down phone numbers. Keep receipts and get the old one from the mechanic who caused this.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, I'm out that way (or at least closer than you are)...if you need a hand or anything, send me a PM.

Sorry to hear about what happened.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Smile

Go For It !! I got the rear end axle serviced before vacation ,I drove 1000 miles to Fla then the rear end left me stranded .. the mechanic forgot to refill the pumkin with fresh oil when he put it back together . so he had to pay for all new gears when I got home .$350.00 needless to say he was unhappy but he knew he made a mistake, keep all your reports and estimates to present to him also that wrong filter as proof . Good luck !!! Airstreamhobo
Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Go get em!

Take lots of pictures. Get a written statement from the repair shop that observed the damage and made the assesment. Should be an ASE rated mechanic. Get a factory engine rep to assess the damage and cause also.

If the shop that did the work that failed has "completed operations" within their garage insurance policy you should be able to make a claim. If not, you could always threaten suit, show them the pictures and written statement and maybe they'll pitch in.

Did you give the apparent guilty party the opportunity to quote on the repair/replace of the damage done?

Good luck. If it doesn't work out for you "I got some friends in Joursey!" If you get my understanding.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Sounds like time to go BB Chevy unless you are absolutely certain that you can get the money from the oil change place.

John
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Talking Settle, Sue, or Slam

Quote:
$14938.63 plus tax...I see a fight with the mechanic who did the oil change coming up.
Sorry to hear about this. Good advice from all our Forum pals! My advice: Pack some aluminun knuckles in your back pocket...da lousy bum.

Encouragement: It sounds like an obvious error that they will not be able to argue against. Pray for a calm, cool, cooperative agreement to make things right. I hope this works out totally in your favor.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Angry A Chain Store?

Kent, was this a "chain store" oil change place, or a regular garage that does other repairs, and if so was it also a chain store?
If it was, and if there is one close by, maybe they can make good without you having to go all the way back and fight the original mechanic.
I would gather my ammunition, then make contact and allow them the chance to make good on their error, I know from personal experience that lube techs are not the brightest bulbs on the tree.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Terry
Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'd upgrade it to a Cummins or a Detroit like a 8v71 (318 hp) or a 8v92. The Detroit's will run 300 k no problem.
http://adelmans.com/military.htm
Has some low hour take outs for $1750. That the same motor that most commercial busses use. They have the turbo 8v71 for $2500 and the have the 8v92t Turbo for $2750. I thing the 8v92t is rated 430hp and about 900lb of torque. Might need a transmission because as good as the TH400 is it ant going to take that.
Should get around 10mph
http://adelmans.com/parts.htm
They are in Ohio.

Been researching industrial and commercial power plants. I found a bus that sort of tickles my fancy. Has a aux 12k diesel fired generator and 140gall stainless freash water. Stripped and ready to convert. asking price is $6k and its a driver.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
$14938.63 plus tax......
My condolences for the loss of your recently departed Isuzu.....

On the brighter side, a ZZ502 502 HP 502 cubic inch GM Performance (factory part) - fully assembled, totally complete, and FACTORY NEW can be obtained for less than $8,000. 454 engines, new, can be obtained for less than $4,000. You will never have a better time to change out than right now.

Properly cared for, a new 454 will last most of us for the foreseeable future (20 years +?), and will deliver a HUGE increase in performance to boot.....

For what it's worth, I mulled over your exact dilema (in advance) to decide BEFORE the 454 in my 345 laid down just what I would do (see "the new kids" threads thread on replacing the engine when he was making his purchase to home base journey). - Sort of like "Pre-Planning" a funeral.

As much as I wanted to "Dieselize", the obvious option was to go back with a factory new gasoline engine.

Lots of thought and comparisons of prices went into my decision....

I might suggest you tow the unit to a save and secure long term storage area....that would give you a while to think about your next move, and compare prices. ONLY let a qualified shop THAT YOU TRUST work on the unit - by doing that you minimize surprises....Don't be rushed into a decision...lots of options out there....lots of retired UPS trucks utilizing your frame, engine, and tranny.

Good luck whatever you decide - keep us posted.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Engine Options - RePowering with the Big Bucks

Quote:
..... now our wonderful Classic MO sits at Standard Truck Center, Chicago, IL. I have signed a work order which was almost as much as my first house......
See if you can stop the work order and put some more thought in your decision:

The GMC 71/92 series will put you "Over the Top" on weight.

Engine Weight

GMC 6V92 - 2000 lbs
GMC 8V92 - 2400 lbs
GMC 8V71T - 2500 lbs

Lycoming IO540 500 lbs
Lycoming IO720 550 lbs 400HP

Offenhouser 252 350 lbs

Jaguar V-12 700 lbs

GM "Dura-Max" 6 cyl 1200 lbs

Pratt & Whitney STB-6B (STP Turbine Indy Car)
Would run on Diesel 268 lbs 550HP

Obviously, most of the above are tongue in cheek answers for your dilemma.

Even the current GM Isuzu "Duramax" diesel may be too heavy for your front end.

I question the "Doability" of installing one of the Mercedes Benz turbo diesel 5 cylinder engines - it may even be more anemic than your original Isuzu rice burner was, but, still, it may be an option.

Any "Big Block Chevy" gasoline engine (396 to 572 Cubic Inch) would fit the engine bay and weight requirement nicely - the transmission MIGHT mate up also. Most all of the BB Chevy engines weigh in at around 700 lbs.

By far and away, I seriously think the 454/502 series of gasoline engines would give you the most bang for the buck.

BTW, this is coming from a "Ford" person, not a "Chevy" person.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Hey, I'm out that way (or at least closer than you are)...if you need a hand or anything, send me a PM.
Ditto. I have a brother in Hales Corners & a horse in Franklin, so am in your neck of the woods quite often. I'd be quite happy to ferry you one way or the other with a little notice should you need it. Please don't hesitate to call on me.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome News

I visited with the mechanic who did the oil change and after seeing the oil filter admitted they made a mistake. He called his insurance company with us standing there and told them he goofed up on an oil change and the engine needs to be replaced. The claim has been filed. Now we are dealing with the insurance company. Hopefuly they will be as honest and upfront as the mechanic was.
I really thank everyone who answered the original post. The encouragement and not knowing we are alone is helpful.