Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You're in good shape now.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, that's great the mechanic owned up to it. It won't fix all the trouble it's caused you, but at least you won't have to handle that horrible expense out of pocket!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I'll bet he learned to start them up and check for leaks.

John
Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I visited with the mechanic who did the oil change and after seeing the oil filter admitted they made a mistake. He called his insurance company with us standing there and told them he goofed up on an oil change and the engine needs to be replaced. The claim has been filed. Now we are dealing with the insurance company. Hopefuly they will be as honest and upfront as the mechanic was.
I really thank everyone who answered the original post. The encouragement and not knowing we are alone is helpful.
It's great that he admitted his mistake.
I would suggest that you do not trust the mechanics Insurance company to treat you right.
They are not in the business to take care of you. They will try to get out of this as cheap as possible.
Have a sit down with your Insurance agent and get advice as to how to proceed with your claim. With such a large claim it might be prudent to also check with a lawyer about your claim.
Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
YES GOOD LUCK. BEAR IN MIND IF YOU HAVE THEM PAY YOU DIRECTLY IF THEY WILL DO THAT, YOU CAN STILL GO WITH A bb CHEVY AND HAVE A LOT LEFT TOWARDS RELATED REPAIRS AND UPDATES. JUST A THOUGHT.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Engine Repair

I'm happy and relieved to hear that the mechanic admitted fault. I'm not a "moho" owner but I just got sick reading your original post. The advice others have given since your good news seems very sound to me. Hope the resolution goes smoothly and quickly. Keep us posted. We're rooting for you.

PS: A subtle reminder to your mechanic that his reputation will be publicly proclaimed - either way - might not hurt in getting his ongoing support.

"Tin Lizzie"
Old 02-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Once again I want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread. My grief has been greatly relieved. I had a short conversation with an attorney who suggested that since this is a "classic" and not just an old motor home the value may be compromised now that the original engine will have to be removed. Interesting angle. Secondly, our insurance agent has given us advice and since they are on the hook for the towing have an interest in this as well. Third, the idea of a different type of engine would be quite remote due to the legal circumstances but I will make certain of the weight of the new Isuzu engine and the limits of my chassis.
Thanks again for all of the ideas and support. I will keep you informed as this case unravels. Hopefully we will see you down the road soon.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

I know exactly shat you are going through. In November of 2001 I took my brand new 2002 VW Jetta to the lube shop to have the 1000 mile "break-in" oil changed. The cart had 960 miles on it. I had the oil changed on a Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning on my way to work the oil pressure light came on. I pulled the car over and called VW roadside. Several hours later I got a phone call from the dealership telling me that the drain plug and all of the oil were gone. The lube jockey had not tourqued the plug with the wrench, so the plug rattled out. The lube place admitted the error and their ins. co. replaced the motor at a cost of over 4k and 2 weeks of a rental car.

Lowell
Old 02-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The $14,938.63 Filter!

This is a continuation of the $14,938.63 post.
I was encouraged when the repair shop admitted fault but now I have spoken with the insurance company. The adjuster told me the filter was correct only the #s were different from Carquest to NAPA. Further he stated that it was not possible to put the wrong size filter into the cannister. I asked him how the filter became so distorted and he said it was probably from a sudden surge in oil pressure. I am no mechanic, being a chaplain by profession so I was in no position to put up an argument; however, I am suspicious.
This engine had 60,000 miles on it prior to its complete failure. The only thing that was done to it was this oil change just before we left on our vacation. I am posting pictures of the oil filter any comments will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Standing shot 3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	10339   Click image for larger version

Name:	End shot 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	10340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Standing shot 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	10341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter Side Shot 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	10342  

Old 02-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Time to get a lawyer and a "second" opinion. That baby was forced and crushed. Unless someone fixes it without your money, get a lawyer. You are not in small claims court with that bill.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #25
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Other thread?

Where is the other thread? Lets tie this together ... it is getting serious.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree. If they won't settle, then it's time to get a lawyer. That filter doesn't look at the surface that it is in bad shape, but it doesn't mean that the internals are good. If the shop already admitted fault, then they would know better than the insurance guy on the phone who's job it is to pay the absolute least amount of money on any claim.

It's a shame it might come to it, but I think if it doesn't start to go someplace fairly quickly that you'll need to kick it up to the next level. I'd also contact your insurance agent. Not that I think they will be able to do anything, but maybe you might be able to file a claim on your own insurance and have your insurance go after the other insurance for the $$$. Again, I think that might be a long shot, but if you're looking to exhaust all possible avenues, might be worth a try, I mean your coach was damaged by someone else.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I merged your threads ...sorry to hear of the turn of events, but it still seems a second and maybe third opinion documented of course, are in order. I would have to try and find some expert who could examine the filter microscopically if necessary and check the engine internals for wear, etc. What part actually failed that caused the oil to come out? Was it the filter itself, then the manufacturer as well could be liable. Was it some other part that caused the oil pressure they spoke of that damaged the filter? I can't see that happening. I am no master mechanic, but after 18 yrs in the automotive business, I know the ins co will use all their muscle to make your claim go away. You need a good representative.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Insurance Agents

Be aware that if you file a claim on your insurance, your rates will go up EVEN IF the claim is disallowed (good advice from MY agent!). If your insurance agent is good and a good friend, ask for advice but DON'T file a claim.

Hate to say it, but it's time to get a lawyer. Also start getting those expert opinions. NEVER hire a lawyer based on Yellow Page or TV advertising. Big personal injury firms are generally in the "settlement business" not in the business of fighting for you.

Paula & Tin Lizzie