Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Tach problems - Freightliner Chassis

1997 Land Yacht WB with 275 Cummins, diesel pusher. 45k miles

Bought it in April 2015 after several years of inside storage, immediately noticed that the tach would jump up and down between 1500 - 2000 rpm at highway speeds with cruise control. No change in actual engine speed and other systems normal. Freightliner had no answer and recommended replacement of the dashboard $1100 part.

Moved to Montana and now have it winterized in driveway but do start it up weekly for 1 or 2 hour run times. Its very cold natured and sometimes difficult to start. From a cold start it seems to go into a quick loss of power causing the tach to spin around and all dash lights to flash. Sometimes it will kill the engine other times its sorta like a skip. Once the engine warms up to normal temps all systems are normal. Not sure if this is a loose wire, electrical short, or just a quirky thing when its cold.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to correct this problem would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mike, I'll admit right up front I don't really have a clue to what your problem could be. However I think the tach is likely driven from the alternator so you might consider removing the alternator and having it tested.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Check for corroded grounds....all batteries, ground straps from engine to chassis....any repair work done recently ???
Old 02-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Thanks for the tips. While it was at the Freightliner dealer last summer having the tranny and front suspension repaired, they looked at it but only recommended a new dashboard assembly. Mine is one piece vs the individual round gages found on some diesels.

Strange part about this is that once the motor is warm all problems go away except the tach jumping sometimes. Not sure how old the motor batteries are either but suspect they will need replacing this spring. Last few times I cranked it during winter I had to use the coach batteries to start. Alternater seems to work okay as it charged up the motor batteries quickly.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
This definitely sounds electrical to me...I'm hardly an expert at this stuff but I had a similar situation with my lights...turn on the cruise control and my lights went all haywire...did a little digging (okay the repair shop did) and found it was a fault that was fixed for WAY less than $1100....Since our land yachts are only 2 years apart...I'd start looking at all things involving the chassis electrics...heck, it could even be as simple as a loose wire behind the dash! (I've also had that happen once)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Fresno , California
Oh, just wanted to say, the day I just ate the bill willingly and replaced my chassis and coach batteries was the best day I've ever had with my AS....soooooooooo many problems just went away instantly!!
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fresno , California
Last thing, actually a question, I just saw your 3 pics (also had to take out feet of ducting in mine) but I was wondering why you trailer your Grand Cherokee?? I'm looking at one to replace my H2 toad...mainly because they're the only car that's as easy as GM's like mine to tow 4 down...did yours have issues? Or did you just already have a dolly and save on the wiring costs? Just curious as I'm about to pull the trigger pretty soon on one.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Chances are the tach gets its signal from the ECM...

I like the response above about checking grounds and/or looking for corroded connector pins, additionally, since the engine is affected when the tach shakes, you might want to consider that the crank sensor or cam sensor might be going south.

I don't think a new dash will fix the issue.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Thanks for the suggestions. Today it was 50 in Montana so it cranked quickly off coach batteries and only skipped once. For some reason that problem is worse in cold weather. Topped off the diesel and took it out on a 50 mile run on I-15......no problems. Everything normal. Not sure how old the engine batteries are so they are on replacement list this spring. Coach batteries are about 2 yrs old. Next month I plan to take it to the local Freightliner shop for basic yearly service so its ready for a trip to Seattle in mid April.