Old 05-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot1
The old 454 cubic inch in the motorhomes is one of the most overworked engines I am aware of and would benefit from the higher operating temperature of synthetic oil. However, if you use it fairly low annual miles, then it is expensive to use Syn. and change it because of time and not distance.There are partial syn oils on the market and they might be a good option for an older motor that works hard but, is changed due to time.
You can also "grow your own" synthetic blend. Synthetic will retain its benefits to engine wear and mileage with as little as a 25% ratio. So, you can use 3 quarts of organic oil to every quart of synthetic. I would recommend using the same brand organic oil, and the same viscosity, as the synthetic. If you want to use Mobil 1 10W30, find Mobil 10W30 to go with it. I am not, nor have I ever been, a proponent of mixing oil brands in your engine. They contain proprietary additives that, while not neccessarily being detrimental, could counteract each other, rendering the additives useless.
I personally use organic oil in our Jeep, and Havoline 10W-30 synthetic in the van (tow vehicle).

Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I'm a good old Sythrtic oil Man! I started useing it back in the 60's and I'm stell useing it!!!!

Old 07-08-2005, 01:09 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've been in both camps on this one. On one hand, had a 25 year old car I just parted with....at 16x,000 miles on it, never burned one drop of oil. Regular changes near or at 3000 with conventional quality motor oil and filter since day and mile one.

However, since I started towing with the Impala and now the Suburban, I have started to move to fully synthetic. There are a few reasons why:

First, the synthetic oils can take more heat and abuse and still keep the mechanicals in great shape. For example, conventional trans fluid's sweet temp spot is between 10 degrees and 170 degrees. Get far off the mark on either end and it's not as good as it is in the sweet spot, plus the warmer it gets the more the conventional oils begin to breakdown. Syn trans fluid's normal temps are between -30 degrees and 270 degrees. Now I'll be the first to admit that if your trans gets above 200 regularly, no oil is gonna do anything for you because even with syns ablility to take 270 degrees, much warmer than 220-230 degrees and you will frankly cook the trans, warp and burn out the internals.

Second, in cold climates, syn fluid flows better at low, low temps providing better protection without having to have the car sit warming up for 10-15 minutes on the coldest of days.

Third, I've seen less "sludge" and varnish in the internals.

In the end, it is a tough call which to go with. I may be pouring $$$ out the window on syns, but given the above average service these vehicles do towing 6000+lbs (in my situation), to me it's worth the extra protection given the fact that a new SUV or pickup can cost between $30k and $50k. One other note that was touched upon here is that it's starting to be common practice for the factory to fill a lot of the areas of the vehicles now with synthetic. Me, I'm still kind of old school, I let the dyno oil break it in, then switch it, but in your case, I think you have yours broken in by now.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Is anyone running synthetic in their diesel? I am using Rotella T and have no problems, but just wondering.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Is anyone running synthetic in their diesel? I am using Rotella T and have no problems, but just wondering.
I used to run Synth in an old Mercedes Diesel, with no noticeable improvements whatsoever. It got black just as quick as dino oil.
It did cause immediate oil leaks, though. I guess the stuff seeps past marginal seals much easier than regular oil. The leaks all but stopped when I returned to Valvoline oil 2 oil changes later. Go figure....
Old 07-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Running Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 in my Duramax right now. Rotella Syn is not a "true" synthetic but a Group III dino oil. My next change will be to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W40, a true PAO synthetic.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I use Mobel-1 in My Airstrem (Isuzu). I have had good luck with it. I'm not going to change.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Well here goes. I have put more than 3000 miles on my new engine and they said to change the oil at 3000. To say I am scared to take it anywhere is an understatement. My days of crawling under with a wrench and pan in hand are long gone so I realize I have no choice. The people who put in the engine are three hours away plus they want to keep it two days at the least. IE- we do not do motorhomes but will try and squeeze it in. I think I will begin an interview process and demand that I check anything put on the engine against the specs.
The next reccomended oil change is at 10,000 and they stated to use a regular deisel truck oil not a synthetic. I have done some reading on this 10,000 interval and found that most trucks run at least that. Fuerthermore, I found that we Americans change oil more readily than other people in other countries. My son just bought a new VW deisel Passat and they recemend a 6500 mile interval. Have we been too cautious and wasteful changing perfectly good oil? Are the newer oils better and last longer than when we thought it had to be 3000 miles or burn up?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Well here goes. I have put more than 3000 miles on my new engine and they said to change the oil at 3000. To say I am scared to take it anywhere is an understatement. My days of crawling under with a wrench and pan in hand are long gone so I realize I have no choice. The people who put in the engine are three hours away plus they want to keep it two days at the least. IE- we do not do motorhomes but will try and squeeze it in. I think I will begin an interview process and demand that I check anything put on the engine against the specs.
The next reccomended oil change is at 10,000 and they stated to use a regular deisel truck oil not a synthetic. I have done some reading on this 10,000 interval and found that most trucks run at least that. Fuerthermore, I found that we Americans change oil more readily than other people in other countries. My son just bought a new VW deisel Passat and they recemend a 6500 mile interval. Have we been too cautious and wasteful changing perfectly good oil? Are the newer oils better and last longer than when we thought it had to be 3000 miles or burn up?
Lubricants have indeed improved by quite a bit. New additives in Motor oils make them retain contaminants better, and lube for a longer period of time. 3000mile oil changes are nice, but often quite wasteful. Much depends on teh way the vehicle gets used. A vehicle that gets driven frequently and for long distances will have different oil change interval requirements than a grocery getter, that sits around a lot, has many cold starts, and never really gets warmed up all the way. BMW used to have ( maybe still do) a clever maintenance interval computer, which would ask for 3500 mile oil changes in severe service, but would allow oil to stay put for up to 7500-8000 miles in long distance vehicles. Condensation inside the engine is absorbed by the oil, and happens mostly during warmups. Combustion byproducts also make their way intothe oil, together with microscoic metal particels from normal wear and tear. A new engine must heve more frequent oil changes, as manufacturing residue and initial wear pose a big challenge to engine oil and filter.
I would suggest that in your motorhome, if you don't run it much, then by all means change the oil before 5000miles, or twice a year. If the engine is brand new, then do a few 2000-3000 mile oil changes, until it is seated in.
Also, another determining factor is the amount of oil your engine holds. Large capacity oiling systems are made for higher mileages between oil changes in heavy duty use.
This has been my experience, anyways. Yours may vary.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I have aways gone to 10,000 mile on My Airstream and 5,000 on My Pick-up. All so the Wifes car.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:47 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know I use Mobil 1 regularly on the Impy (Impala SS). I have started to convert to Amsoil. I've done a bit of research and found that Amsoil does a better job. Several forums have also sworn by Amsoil.

As for your plight Chaplain Kent, you are welcome to make a pit stop here in Chicago anytime and I will personally help you change your oil (you buy the oil and filter) and we'll make it a Saturday thing...I already told Norby, I'd help him too with his diesel van. My drive has become a Jiffy Lube I do so many oil changes.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
165,000 miles on a 1999 Chevy 2500 ,350 Vortec , a lot of towing,Work trailer and Airstream,No leaks,no ticks No problems,Mobil One was used from 100 miles forward,
Old 07-16-2005, 09:59 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I have switched all vehicles to Mobil 1, based to a fair extent on the following study: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

I feel that the synthetic will provide a cooler running engine which is pretty important in a tow vehicle. The above study seemed to favor the Mobil 1 over the Amsoil, in part because Amsoil seemed to develop a higher viscosity with age.

I expect I will switch the Suburban to syn trans fluid soon. Any comments? What brand do other use? I haven't seen Mobil 1 trans fluid.

My change intervals have been in the 8-10,000 range. If the mfgr says 7,500 I expect that is conservative in their view. The study says it almost never needs changing IF some makeup oil is added due to filter change. My '91 Cad uses a little oil and the suburban very little. I do a filter change at 5,000 and then change oil at 10,000.

Dwight
Nebraska
Old 07-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
A very interesting study. I have been running Amsoil in my Suburban for the last 60000miles, changing it about every 10000 miles. It looks as though either of the two tested oils would be a fine choice.