Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Suburban 350 TV overheating

Question,
I pulled our 31ft sovereign from IN to Salem OR and after getting here I discovered that I had a blown head gasket on the Burb. After having the heads ground, I am wondering if running between 200 and 210 degrees for long periods is just to much wear on that 350 engine. Any thoughts?
thanks,Wayne

Old 06-16-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It depends..

You didn't provide year and hp rating for 350 in the Suburban.. Mid-90's pre-Vortec engines were rated at 200hp and Suburbans had tow ratings of 6200 to 7200#.. Unless your 31 is awfully light, the total GVWR of trailer, passengers, luggage and fuel probably equal or exceed 7200#, so you may have been running on edge for a while.. Prior threads center around recommendation not to exceed 80% of GVWR with trailer alone at max gross weight, to give yourself some cushion for extra weight inside the tow vehicle and high temps and engine/trans wear... Coolant temps over 215 for long periods are tough on engine and heads..

Vortec engines (beginning in 95 or 96) had different head design and beter intake/exhaust plus 25% more hp, but not much higher tow GVWR ratings for half ton Suburbans...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
towing to Salem

I bought the 1991 tv back in IN. I mistakingly did not ck out the tow capacity because the seller swore he towed much more weight than the airstream. It is a 91 burb with after market extra large radiator and tranny cooler and also an aftermarket dually rearend w/off of a 1990 3500 p/u. I just didn't think the weight would be a factor since the seller said he pulled an 8000# racecar trailer.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Head gaskets sometimes just go....might not be towing related at all.
200 is normal running temp for most modern and semi modern engines.
However, I would make sure that radiator, water pump, fan clutch and auxilliary fan ( if applicable) all work perfectly within specs.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Tranny cooler issue!

Hello all -

Asked this elsewhere and will ask again here!

Is there a larger 'bolt-on' cooler that I can add to my '01 Burb, 2500 HD with the factory tow set-up?

I ask since I have numerous 12%++++ grades to the house that really spike the tranny gauge on "the pull to sanctuary". Home is where the AS is!!!!

BTW - Is the factory tranny gauge considered to be 'spot on' as far as temps or do I need a "re-calibration" or a 'replacement' for the factory set-up...? Is this likely a 'bolt-on' situation or a MAJOR hastle!?

Just curious as I have a bunch of 'pulling' planned for the fall and want to be ready! Tranny failure/ problems is NOT high on my list!

Thanks to all for thoughts and input!

Axel
Old 06-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hello all -

Asked this elsewhere and will ask again here!

Is there a larger 'bolt-on' cooler that I can add to my '01 Burb, 2500 HD with the factory tow set-up?

I ask since I have numerous 12%++++ grades to the house that really spike the tranny gauge on "the pull to sanctuary". Home is where the AS is!!!!

BTW - Is the factory tranny gauge considered to be 'spot on' as far as temps or do I need a "re-calibration" or a 'replacement' for the factory set-up...? Is this likely a 'bolt-on' situation or a MAJOR hastle!?

Just curious as I have a bunch of 'pulling' planned for the fall and want to be ready! Tranny failure/ problems is NOT high on my list!

Thanks to all for thoughts and input!

Axel
Axel,
A reputable transmission shop can surely add an auxilliary cooler for your transmission. Places like JEGS etc. have coolers with fans on them thermostatically controlled, that can really cool down some seriously hot liquid in a hurry, without burdening your engine's radiator.
If I was in your predicament, I would add a large transmission cooler, with an electric cooling fan, thermostatically controlled.
I can't give you any information on your factory trans temp gauge. My burb does not have one.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Local 'fix' or else?

Uwe -

Thanks for the thoughts.

Would you consider this to be an appropriate 'fix'/ 'add-on' for a local shop to do? Or is this something that a 'speed-shop' should be approached with??

Just curious, since I have a really good local shop that has done lots of my AS work, but curious as to 'the thinking' on the the tranny cooler question since I would consider this an 'upgrade' type fix/ repair. Guess I need to ask them about their 'comfort level' in this type work.

Is there any upside to a Chevy dealer doing the work?

In typing this, I guess that I am talking myself into a 'speed shop' type repair/ upgrade since this is likely a non-standard situation.

Have a couple of 'heat shield' type rattles that they could likely also "CURE" with a massive exhaust upgrade!!!! + HEADERS!!!! AND THEN THE SHOCKS!!!!! AND...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$!

YEAH BABY!!!!

Got the juices flowin' NOW!!!!

Oh wait, got college expense to consider.... IRA's.... Retirement.... Sigh.

Thoughts on the tranny cooler situation, getting back to the thread, are gratefully considered!

Peace

Axel
Old 06-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Re-read post - my apologies!

Uwe -

On a re read of your post, I obviously overlooked the 'any reputable tranny shop' part of your original post. My apologies for the oversight.

Still looking for all possible inputs about this issue though!

Peace

Axel
Old 06-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
wayne

i had a 92 burb that ran warm also, make sure everything is in tip top shape.

you might try adding "water wetter" to the cooling system, you can get up to a 10 degree drop with it. ask your radiator guy about it...

john
Old 06-16-2006, 06:37 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Uwe -

On a re read of your post, I obviously overlooked the 'any reputable tranny shop' part of your original post. My apologies for the oversight.

Still looking for all possible inputs about this issue though!

Peace

Axel
Axel, too bad you don't live near me, as that cooler install would be a couple hour job, tops, for me. If you read the installation instructions, and are fairly handy with tools, you could probably do it yourself in an afternoon. I would get one of the bigger coolers (they make 3 sizes that are common).
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Axel
I have a 94 Burb 6.5lL TD that I had an additional tranny cooler and a B&M tranny temp guage installed after a transmission overheated and burned up.
Last week I pulled our Argosy Minuet over Wolf Creek Pass twice..
I know that A Minuet isn't a big load for a TD but the tranny temp stayed just below 160 on both trips.
The additional tranny cooler and temp guage are well worth the money compared to the cost of (5-10%) rebuilding a tranny.

Don
Old 06-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just for a reference point, our 1985 Suburban 3/4 ton w/454 ran at 210 degrees.

Our 2004 3/4 Suburban with the 6.0L engine also runs at 210 degrees nearly 20 years later.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote