Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Steps on 1978 ARGOSY MH

My 1978 ARGOSY
is at present in a garage in Santa Fe ( while I'm over here in Copenhagen, Denmark ).
They inform me that the steps don't work.

The steps are vacuum operated...right ?
What would usually be the problem with them ?
Does any of you have any experience how to fix them ?

Thanks !

Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Those steps don't have too many friends but they work well when maintained and are simpler (no limit switches or motors) than the replacement electrical ones that people put in. Engine vacuum (or vacuum from a pump in diesel MHs) comes back to a solenoid valve behind the steps. The solenoid is actuated by 12 volts which comes through a switch in the door frame when the door is open. When the engine is running and supplying vacuum, and the door is closed, the switch is open and the valve is in its normal position, connecting the vacuum servo (which pulls the step up) to the vacuum line from the engine. With power and vacuum off, the step extends. Someone has probably tied it up so you don't catch it on things when driving. Is there vacuum coming from the engine? Is there 12 volts coming to the solenoid valve when the door is open and the engine is running? Does the solenoid valve click when you apply 12 volts to it? Does vacuum get to the servo when the door is closed and the engine is running? The vacuum servo is hard to find but the solenoid valve is the same as the dual-tank fuel selector used in Ford pickups, available from NAPA for about $50.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
san diego , California
I have a 77 argosy motorhome. On mine the step is manual. It is a simple swing type step. I imagine it is quite available here, or easily fabricated when you get it home.

There are many posts with pictures of this. I think the steps are the same or similar on the older trailers of that era as well.

Hope this helps. I don't think it is a big problem.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by argy View Post
I have a 77 argosy motorhome. On mine the step is manual. It is a simple swing type step. I imagine it is quite available here, or easily fabricated when you get it home.

There are many posts with pictures of this. I think the steps are the same or similar on the older trailers of that era as well.

Hope this helps. I don't think it is a big problem.
Can you link to the thread with pictures of the steps from a '77? I too talked to a co-worker than has a '78 and he described the vacuum / automatic system as well, so he's no help for me. I have a '77 where the PO replaced the original steps with some "standard" SoB ones and I'd like to replace with original. Based on the tracks in the frame outriggers, I'm assuming that the steps were the same as the trailers, as you mentioned. But before I drop $600 on a new set of steps, I'd like to see some pics of other '77s. If anyone can confirm that the steps on a '77 moho and trailers of the same vintage are the same, please say so.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
If you decide to replace them with electric, I got mine from PPL for about $350 with free shipping.

Kwikee Electric Steps on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Pretty easy installation. They new stuff doesn't use limit switches. A control box sequences the steps based on a magnetic door switch and senses when the step is up down or bumps a curb based on motor load. They also retract if the door is closed and the you take it out of park (or release the parking brake). Their is also an override switch so the steps dont operate everytime you are parked and open the door. There is a built in step light that comes on automatically for a couple of minutes when the step extends or the patio light switch is on.