Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Speedometer recommendations

just returned from a trip to texas and my speedo went south . made a lot of funny noises between shrevseport and dallas. it now doesnt move or make any more noises. it does record the miles traveled the odometer still works. this speedo is oem for the unit and i now have three old non working teletec speedos. not going to replace with teletec. in my last effort someone recommended an electronic speedo. think that will be the direction i go . has anyone installed a electronic speedo in their unit, or are you lusting for one . what is your opinion for correcting this problem.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
AL,

I did a bunch of research on this issue when I had 76 Argosy MH that I wanted to upgrade the information I was getting from the gauges.

There are a couple of things to consider. Does your cruise control work. I am sure you know that the cruise uses the speedo cable as a way to monitor your speed and make the changes in throttle poition. You also need to find out if the electronc speedo has a transducer mounted to the transmission out put, or has a internal to the speedo transducer. This is why I mentioned the cruise control. If you use a model with a transmission mounted transducer you will be disconnecting the cruise control.

The other issue is finding one that will be accurate. A pure mechanical one will require you to change out either a gear inside the speeo, or a gear in the transmission tailpiece. An electronic one has an adjustment so you can simply adjust it and have it be accurate without having to source parts.

Please let us know what you decide on, as I know amny of us are fighting with the speedo. My needle sometimes bounces wildly, I know of another member that had the same thing as you did happen and now his odometer is dead too.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If you wanna do it the cheap and easy way, just buy a GPS with a speed display.

-Don
Old 11-29-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the reasearch soo far, i need a device to convert mechanical to electronic, which isnt a problem. it will mount on the speedo side of the cruise control hook up. i keep my present cruise control that will only engage max 68 mph some times 70.
the sites i have pulled up are lacking in the picture area dont show a pic for the unit. jc whitney has a l e d display i really dont want that type. would like to use a analog type display if available.
i drove home with the cruise control on all the way. it saved me a few tickets as most state police are looking for donations . from what i saw they had a very busy day.
i was happy that the cooling system worked as it should. warmed up to 205 and stayed there for almost 2k miles. i would bet that the 185 thermostat is working as designed. last check i had a 15 degree error in the temp guage read out.
wife wanted to pull the toad i said no not untill im sure i have the cooling system fixed. her response was if you have the toad you can go get parts. duh
Old 11-29-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Al,

Check out this site

http://www.egauges.com/

I am getting ready to order some gauges to replace my temp gauge as well as to add a trans temp gauge in place of the non functional clock. They seem to have it all.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 11-29-2003, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
It is possible to have mechanical speedo's rebuilt. There is/was a shop in Greensboro, NC that used to do it. I had several vintage car speedo's rebuilt there. I will see if they are still in business and post an address/phone when I locate it. Also check in the yellow pages under instrument repair.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
brett
the site you noted is the one i was looking for and i think you passed it to me last time i was going thru this. wanted to keep the coach as origional as possible but it has to work, if not ,say hello to the trash man. teltec is out . going to make a note in my service manual as to the mileage and go to something that i can rely on to work.
on my last trip i had to go thru dallas rather than the shortcut waco to tyler on 31. nice drive but the local towns have a vigerous revenue enhancement program. so a speedo is a must.
got a cracked windshield in dallas so the insurance co bit the dust.
i think vdo is the one i will use the 85 mph model with vdo 340-011 sending unit it mount on the speedo side of the cruise control pick up. any experience or comments on VDO ???
going to check local sources for availability.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:54 AM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Al,

VDO is supposed to be the best. That is what I am considering. I have a set all picked out, now if I can just get the wish list to Santa Claus I will be set! They do make one that is a mechanical hook up, but I am going to go electronic so I have no needle issues. My factory cruise is dead and I have replaced it with an aftermarket one so I do not need the Speedo input.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 11-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
after i get the new speedo installed i will post my likes or other wise. dont know what i would not like about this unit if it works as described . will post some pictures so you can see what im talking about.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
Hey~ mine, too!

Yup, I've been through the bouncing wildly needle and the fun that results from an overanxious cruise control trying to follow it. I've interested to see what you come up with.

An aside, I've been able to fund just enough for a new 454 crate, wish I could double that amount for the 502 crate.... it really looks like the way to go. I'll be posting pics and stories next month as I start disassembling the Twink and breathe some new life into her. "Hi-ho Silver~ away"

Kevin
Las Vegas, baby
"Look up to the world~ fly inverted"
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
even with the dead speedo my odometer and cruise control worked rock solid, as stated in a recent post it will not lock in above 70 but most times about 68 is the norm.
brett
how did you hook up the new cruise ??? the sales guy recommends the thru pick up for the speedo. speedo first off the transmission then the cruise. that will be the way i go .
Old 12-02-2003, 04:32 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Al,

I used an all in one aftermarket kit from Autozone. The cruise control is made by Audiovox. It has a magnetic drive shaft pickup. You wire a magnet to the shaft and then mount the pickup on a supplied bracket. If you have the original cruise look for a 4 wire flat connector coming out of the steering column. This connector is the same as the one that the supplied controller has. I realized too late that this was case and had already mounted the supplied unit. The cruise control uses a combination of the supplied pickup from the drive shaft as well as the output from the Tach. You may be able to run the unit for tach output only, I think that was how I did it on my wife's tercel when I used the same brand unit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 12-02-2003, 08:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Just for the record, my '92 30' came from the factory with a full set of VDO.
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the UPS man came today, and delivered the speedo. took it out of the box and it didnt look big enough for the hole. just got thru installing to speedo and it fit . will try to complete the wiring tomorrow and post some jpgs.
as usual when i have work to do on the silver weenie it rains for two days . think i can get this done with out going out side. the install is a breeze the calibrate could also be a breeze if i could plug in some info that i dont have. and way it can be tweeked in several ways. will post calibration proceedure i used.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
THE SPEEDO IS INSTALLED AND WORKING LIKE A CHAMP. I MEASURED A MILE WITH MY BLAZER AND DID THE CAL SEQUENCE AND THEN HAD MY WIFE FOLLOW ME DOWN THE INTERSTATE TELLING ME MY SPEED. AT 70 MY SPEEDO WAS READING OUT 75.
DECIDED TO RE-CAL USING THE MILE MARKERS ON THE INTERSTATE. AND THIS CORRECTED THE ERROR. MY SPEEDO MATCHES THE SPEEDO IN THE TRAIL BLAZER. NO MORE SHAKING NEEDLE.
I HAD TO INSTALL THE SPEEDO PICK UP ON THE CRUISE PICKUP. I INSTALLED THE SPEEDO PICK UP ON THE TRANSMISSION AND THEN TRYED TO HOOK ON THE CRUISE PICK UP AND DIDNT HAVE ROOM TO DO SO. WITH SOME EFFORT I DID GET THE HOOK UP INSTALLED BUT THE CRUISE CABLE WAS LAYING ON THE CROSS BRACE REAL TIGHT. DECIDED IF THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTED ,SOMETHING WOULD BREAK. DONT NEED THAT.
FINAL HOOK UP WAS SHORT PIECE OF CABLE ABOUT A FOOT T0O THE CRUISE CONTROL AND THEN THE SPEEDO PICK UP SCREWED TO THE TOP OF CRUISE PICK UP. TY WRAPED THIS TO THE FRAME.
BEFORE I CLOSE UP I WILL TAKE SOME PICTURES AND POST.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
just returned from a trip and the speedo is great. no shake&bake just rock solid . an easy fix for something that i spent time and mone that was wasted. thnx brett for the info to the site , i will be replacing my gas tank sensor son they have a sencor i think i can adapt to my tank and fix the shaking gas needle read out.