Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol
Can't I lift the rear axle to do the testing? sounds dangerous but I've done it with cars and stuff. What if I just lift one rear dual off the ground and block the other three corners?

-Kevin
No!
I won't go into the physics involved, but your rear tire/wheel assemblies weigh almost 250 pounds on each side, including the brake parts. I would not want that much weight spinning wildly (50 mph is hundreds of RPM, anything could fly apart) just off the ground.
The rear axle will not like only one wheel spinning, the spider gears will be howling, and the truck will try to move forward, even if it is not limited slip, which you will not know for sure without serious investigation. I doubt it is, but am not sure enough to risk the truck getting away from you and flying off jackstands, causing a good bit of damage. So, no to lifting both sides up, and definitely no to just one wheel.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Thank you voice of reason.

I don't think the coach would go screeching out of my driveway, but I'm sure if the wheels were turning at 50mph if they hit the ground, something would give.

So how does one test/trouble shoot CC without actually going out on the highway?

Can I undo the driveline? Should I simulate the speedo drive with a drill on the cable?

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, I haven't even checked the CC unit yet.

This weekend!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol
Can I undo the driveline? Should I simulate the speedo drive with a drill on the cable?

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, I haven't even checked the CC unit yet.

This weekend!
undo the drive line and you'll be cleaning up tranny fluid for a long time.try to replace the vac line off the diafram .9 out of 10 times it will work.mine did.

Bob
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kevin, you need a volunteer to drive while you fiddle. Your wife could do this or you might enlist the aid of a friend.
Glad to hear you've abandoned the up in the air rear wheel(s) accident looking for a place to happen idea....
Drive line dynos even though they are run on rollers actually chain the chassis down to prevent accidental runaways.
I'd start at the vaccum level and work outward....

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote