Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
This is a lesson I have trouble learning. My Dad tried to pass it to me when I was about 17 years old and we were rebuilding a boat engine (the whole enchilada -- reboring, new rings/pistons, valves, etc.). He said, "son, when you have an engine problem, almost always it's going to be something really, really simple." So, I've also looked for a complex solution when I (join the club) forgot to tighten a battery clamp. Or when I rebuilt a carburetor and had a spring leftover. Sound familiar?
The funny thing is every step I took in the troubleshooting process made sense to me. Even after reviewed all that I had done I didn't see an obvious clue to check the battery cable clamp. It all comes down to always check the simplest things first

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Well, I feel a little (no much) better about my 10 months to rebuild Silver Bullet's horse-ie stale. But I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night either. Partners in the lost mind.
This working on Airstreams sure is fun, isn't it Mel

Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Ricky,

After it was all said and done I sat down and tried to see if there was a point that should have pointed me to the positive battery cable and I couldn't find one. When I had done the step repair months ago I neglected to tighten the positive battery terminal. Yet the motorhome had been started many times since then with no issues. It always fired right off and cranked smoothly.

So when I started trouble shooting I tried to follow the chain of missing voltage back to it's source which led to the starter solenoid. Needless to say next time I'll definitely check the battery connections before suspecting the starter

Thanks for the support!

Brad
Thanks for the info Brad.
I too had starting troubles which eventually led back to the ground connector on the coach battery. At the time I was connecting the ground to the smaller side terminals on the battery instead of the top posts. Over time the constant tightening of the side connector had pulled the internal connections of the battery loose.
Of course this had created a whole bunch of other ground issues which are now fixed. Yay

I have since removed the solenoid which connects the coach and house batteries and the coach positive cable now goes direct to the connector on the chassis which goes to the starter for the engine and the positive cable back to the generator.

I was thinking about putting in one of these and clearing out all the other pieces
PERKO Inc. - Battery Switches - Heavy Duty Battery Selector Switch with Alternator Field Disconnect Easy project for the next owner!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
This working on Airstreams sure is fun, isn't it Mel
That it is! The NEW A/C compressor locked up on me. I went to the people I bought it and the drier from, "We need to look at if before we can warranty it." Well the only way they will warranty the dang compressor is for 'THEM' to fix it. They also said I had a hose leaking. I pulled a 30" vacuum over a week ago and it was still holding when I took my gauges off before I drove it to the shop!
On another note, the 'check light' was on all the way to the A/C shop. I did the 'jump' on the computer plug and no code! Just 12, 12, 12. The dang computer don't store codes.... I need an antique code reader for this 1990 computer.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
Thanks for the info Brad.
I too had starting troubles which eventually led back to the ground connector on the coach battery. At the time I was connecting the ground to the smaller side terminals on the battery instead of the top posts. Over time the constant tightening of the side connector had pulled the internal connections of the battery loose.
Of course this had created a whole bunch of other ground issues which are now fixed. Yay

I have since removed the solenoid which connects the coach and house batteries and the coach positive cable now goes direct to the connector on the chassis which goes to the starter for the engine and the positive cable back to the generator.

I was thinking about putting in one of these and clearing out all the other pieces
PERKO Inc. - Battery Switches - Heavy Duty Battery Selector Switch with Alternator Field Disconnect Easy project for the next owner!
My 74 Argosy had a battery switch similar to the one from PERKO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-mh-battery-switch.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	194051

I'm not happy with where it was mounted and don't plan on re-installing it at the same location. If I can find a better location I might re-use it otherwise I'll just use a solenoid.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
That it is! The NEW A/C compressor locked up on me. I went to the people I bought it and the drier from, "We need to look at if before we can warranty it." Well the only way they will warranty the dang compressor is for 'THEM' to fix it. They also said I had a hose leaking. I pulled a 30" vacuum over a week ago and it was still holding when I took my gauges off before I drove it to the shop!
On another note, the 'check light' was on all the way to the A/C shop. I did the 'jump' on the computer plug and no code! Just 12, 12, 12. The dang computer don't store codes.... I need an antique code reader for this 1990 computer.
Mel, You don't need A/C in Oklahoma do you?

You've certainly had your share of poor quality parts and customer service on your rebuild. One of these days things are bound to get better.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
My 74 Argosy had a battery switch similar to the one from PERKO.

Attachment 194051

I'm not happy with where it was mounted and don't plan on re-installing it at the same location. If I can find a better location I might re-use it otherwise I'll just use a solenoid.
I was thinking in the battery tray on mine in place of the house battery on off switch. This switch only did the house and not the engine battery. I'll do this if mine doesn't sell after its 90 day listing.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
That's one of the problems with a little 20' motorhome, there aren't any battery trays! Originally the two batteries sat above the radiator but I'm hoping to find alternate locations for both of them.

Brad
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
That's one of the problems with a little 20' motorhome, there aren't any battery trays! Originally the two batteries sat above the radiator but I'm hoping to find alternate locations for both of them.

Brad
I recently ran a new positive cable to the generator. 16' of 4awg. Probably about 10' to the starter from the battery in all. Just about opens up the whole length of your argosy for a new 12v home
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
I recently ran a new positive cable to the generator. 16' of 4awg. Probably about 10' to the starter from the battery in all. Just about opens up the whole length of your argosy for a new 12v home
The real problem trying to find a place for the batteries is space. With only 20' to work with there is stuff crammed in every noon and corner. I've seen one 20' Argosy where the battery was placed in the right front wheel well in front of the tire. That's one of the places I'm considering for the starting battery. For the coach battery I'm thinking of placing it under the rear couch/bed. There's a spot that looks to be just big enough to fit one and possibly even to batteries. That would make about a 3' run to connect to the generator!

Plus there is a #2 or #4 gauge wire running front to back already.

Brad
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
For the coach battery I'm thinking of placing it under the rear couch/bed.
Airstream Interstates with the sofa/bed have a bettery box you might be interested in. It holds two Group 24 batteries, stacked vertically. Inside the box there is a removable shelf made of plywood that holds the top battery, with cutouts at the corners to run the cables from the top battery to the bottom battery.

Interstates also put the chassis battery in a box set into the floor of the driver's foot well, right ahead of the seat. You may not be able to install a battery box in the floor in front of the driver's seat, but you might fit one under the seat itself.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Unfortunately there isn't enough room to stack to batteries vertically. I've been thinking about the battery situation a little more and it occurred to me that since I'm going to be replacing the left rear lower curved sheet metal where the city water tap is located I can now relocate the city water tap.

If the water piping can be relocated then there will likely be room for two batteries side by side. I'll have to do some measuring to see if I'm right.

Brad