Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Recs for Transmission Oil Temp Guages

It sounds like it consensus regarding the benefit of a transmission oil temperature guage. My Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton doesn't have one (the 3/4 tons do). I called our local Chevy Dealer and they don't do aftermarket installations.

1) Any recommendations on aftermarket guages?

2) Where's the best place to mount it on the vehicle (would like it to be seamless as possible; the brake controller already sticks out like a sore thumb)

3) Do I need to go to a specialized mechanic for installation?

Thanks!
Abe
Old 10-30-2003, 07:29 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Abe,

Try http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=Vision

If you have a 4L60E, even better!

Took me the better part of an afternoon.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Eric,

Thanks for the referral. Where did you mount your guage? On the instrument panel? On top of the dash?

Abe.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

If your panel is like mine (2001 Z-71) the round 2" blank in the lower left corner is for a trans temp gauge. Supposedly the input for it is in the wiring harness because the computer uses it, but you can't get a factory gauge without buying the whole instrument panel. (According to my service manual, the repair for dead LED lights in the instrument panel is to replace the whole thing.) The bezel around it just pulls off, then you can see how the rest is attached. There ought to be a way to add an aftermarket gauge and wire it into the factory lead, but I haven't found it yet.
Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
take a look at autometer
they also have a nice line of gaugepods that holds
one two or three gauges

remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Abe, Westach do a Universal Temperature Gauge for $65 and a Dipstick Sensor for $19. I got mine from Geno's Garage at http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/show...ectGroup_ID=97
Geno's also sell a variety of mounting plates. You need a power supply, and I took mine from the back of the cigar lighting socket. You can use the dipstick sensor as designed, and tie it to the end of the transmission dipstick, but this will only give you the temperature in the pan, after the fluid has been through the cooler. It's better to take the temperature of the fluid as it emerges from the transmission, before the cooler. I taped my sensor to the output line from the transmission. I cleaned up the line with wire wool, and smeared heat sink compound (from Radio Shack) in between the line and sensor, and wrapped the whole assembly in self-amalgamating tape. This has worked without any problem for two years, and it's very responsive. Your vehicle may already have a port for a transmission temperature sensor, so the above may not be necessary for you. I try to keep below 200 degrees, but this is easily exceeded when backing into a campsite, or stop-start at multiple stop lights when towing the Airstream. If you're not confident with a soldering iron and vehicle electrics, I suggest you buy the parts, and give the installation job to a shop. Good luck. Nick.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:31 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Abe,

I mounted it in the lower left of my dash under the cluster. My Impala though would be different than your truck. I'll see if I can get some pics posted to my photo gallery here.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote