Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rebuilt Carb jetting

Hey folks, it's time to go out and get the reman. carb for the AS. Can I get you all to chime in on what you've done to your rig for economy/power, etc.
Summit offer reman 750 Q-Jet with .69 primary or .73, I'm thinking smaller is probably better.
My local shop wanted over $500 to rebuild my old carb!!
I can buy a bench flowed reman for $300 and replace it myself. That's without checking local suppliers for lower price.
Also going to put in a one inch spacer for cooling and vapor lock protection.
Now it's your turn.... opinions?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Glen,
I looked into a replacement (rebuilt as well) but decided to attempt a rebuild of the existing QJet on my own. I'm glad I did. As long as the base plate does not have slack on the bushings you can rebuild yours in a weekend for about $50. I bought the book Rochester Carburetors ($12.89 at Amazon) which was a huge help. Bought a rebuild kit for my model QJet at NAPA for maybe $30. Read through the book on a Friday, dis-assembled and cleaned the carb on Saturday, rebuilt on Sunday. I did make a small mistake on the rebuild to deal with but it was easy to resolve.

It may seem like there are a lot of gizmos and levers and complexity, but it was actually pretty simple with the book in hand. I've been getting 8-9 mpg on my 345 ever since. (With headers, free flow exhaust, new distributor/ignition, Accell 9000 wires and stock plugs)

If you would rather bolt on a replacement then look into these (http://www.jetchip.com/fuel/streetmaster800.cfm). Before I decided to rebuild I was planning on replacing mine with one of these based on a forum member's recommendation.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Glen,
I looked into a replacement (rebuilt as well) but decided to attempt a rebuild of the existing QJet on my own. I'm glad I did. As long as the base plate does not have slack on the bushings you can rebuild yours in a weekend for about $50.
Q jets are funny creatures, many folks have good luck rebuilding them, I am one of those that have not. I can rebuild transmissions, engines, differentials, hydraulic pumps, with no problem, but if you put a gun to my head and told me to rebuild a carb, I would die a horrible death... However, you can try it, if it works, you saved big $$$, and if it doesn't, you are only out about $50, and should have more insight into the workings of your carb. Where I used to live, we had a carb rebuild shop up the street, and they were reasonable. It was less headache to take it off, and take it to the rebuild shop, and pay $150, and get it back the following day all done correctly.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
After the originall quote to rebuild my carb I took a bit of time to collect my thoughts and was ready to remove and have a carb shop do the work. Stopped Friday at my local NAPA shop where I've gotten very good treatment before and asked if their machine shop did carbs. Turns out they didn't but they directed me to the guy in town who has the reputation as the carb expert. Drove directly to his shop and talked to him about it and he said that he could do the job, Monday is the day. He estimates $185. which is quite a ways from the original price. I'll let you all know how this works out.
It's reasuring to know that this shop has been there for almost thirty years so I may have found a jewel.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Complete carb rebuild was $201.00. It had never been touched. The float was getting heavy and it was ready to fall apart. Caught it just in time.
I'm on my way to Myrtle Beach tomorrow and will be able to check fuel mileage without the generator running.
We didn't get the one inch spacer put on as nobody in town had one for a Q-Jet... later I'm sure.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tracked the gas mileage yesterday on my trip to Myrtle Beach. Got 9.53 MPG with some stop and go on both ends. Speed was 45 to 60 mph as the road had some construction spots.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Tracked the gas mileage yesterday on my trip to Myrtle Beach. Got 9.53 MPG with some stop and go on both ends. Speed was 45 to 60 mph as the road had some construction spots.
You saved $99 over buying one over the counter. How does your 9.5 mpg compare with your carb, pre-rebuild?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Nothing scientific unfortunetly as all the trips prior had the genset running, as it is now as I camp out in the Surf Side Wal-Mart in Myrtle Beach.
I think I've likely pulled about 1.5 mpg out of the carb job. And it runs much better too.
Now, more air, better spark...who knows what's possible??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach