Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
Thanks mayco and my3sons.

Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (265,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Now that looks professional. But, the calipers should be red. One, it makes the motorhome faster. Two, you'll get better mileage, because being faster, doesn't mean using more gas, three, anybody who's anybody knows, only the cool kids have red calipers. Old school guy.... I like it. We're you able to buy the springs adjusted , or did you have to "customize" them yourself. Also, did you figure out why one spring needed the shim? The bad shim in the diff was a good catch. I suspect the oil wasn't t changed often enough. Rear ends take a lot of heat. And there's very little ways to really dissipate the heat. So the oil cooks and breaks down. You saved yourself a tow on that one. I run royal purple in my vehicles duffs. Great pics. See ya Dave

davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
I thought about red, but just stayed with the Raybestos zinc plated. If they can get down there and see them, oh well!!

I had to modify the springs myself, all mine now! A big band saw for the first cut and them my cut off blades for my 4 1/2 grinder.

The carrier is tost! Carrier bearings should be tight, but the bearings and ring gear just fell off!

I put all new bearings, 4.10 gears and carrier due to the gear split on these is 4.56 up and 4.10 down. This has dropped the RPM 300+. Time will tell if this was a good choice!

The height is about right. I sure that it will drop a little after a few miles. Think the spacer was under due to have the genset, refrigerator and propane tank on the right side of the coach. I installed a new Onan 7.0 injected a couple of year ago. Much lighter the the original monster Onan 6.5. I still see a little difference from side to side, but not enough to want a spacer!
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (265,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadmaxman View Post
The carrier is tost! Carrier bearings should be tight, but the bearings and ring gear just fell off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadmaxman View Post
Found this when I took the carrier out of the housing. 98,000 miles and the one spacer shim almost gone, and others with signs of much wear on the same side!

That's unnerving, now I feel the need to go rebuild my rear end! Or at least inspect it
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Wow, the rear end going on a trip would be exxxxspensive. You certainly dodged a bullet . My guess is, at some time it was run low on oil, and overheated. Maybe a pinion seal went out. That's the only thing I can think of that would burn up bearings. Maybe run hard up a long grade and overheated the oil. That could kill the oil.. What did the oil look like? Maybe got water in it at some time. Backed her into the lake retrieving the boat.. Rearends don't normally fail, they just get loose. Weird... DJ

davejay is offline   Reply With Quote