Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Rear suspension air compressor

Has anyone had problems with the rear air compressor tripping it's circuit breaker part of the time?
This has happened twice on my 1986 345 in the last 10 months.
The rest of the time the system works perfectly.
What gives?
Thanks, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Hi Rob. Mine did this just before the pressure switch went out. Don't know if connected but replacing the switch (off the shelf at Ace) stopped the breaker. Not a breakdown for the road or camping. Good luck. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Andalusia , Alabama
Thanks Joe.
I will get one to keep in the coach for when it does it again.
Rob
Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Seems to me the compressor in the 345 is pretty far back there and fed with a pretty thin wire. 87MH has made some references to installing a newer, heavier gauge feed from the front of his coach to get "real power" to the rear for things like the compressor and water pump.

You could just be overloading the circuit with resistance in the wire. Just out of curiosity...my compressor only comes on if I've left the coach for a while (three to four weeks). How often and how long is yours running?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Mine seems to work fine but has intuition. It likes to fill the bags/tank at 4 o'clock in the morning, but only if there's a tent camper right next to me.
It runs just long enough to make sure you are completely awake and annoyed, something like 3-4 minutes to bring the tank up to the full pressure setting.
I try to make sure my cutout wire is disconnected when camping in a RV park overnight but sometimes I forget. It's quite loud from the outside!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
LJL

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Omak , Washington
air compressor

Hi Gang Mine seems to run constantly. Is there a check list for eliminating the the problem ?
LJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Andalusia , Alabama
My compressor will run when I first start up the coach. The bags go down after about 15 min. The compressor will come on while on the road about each 15 min. also.
It will only run when the "Ignition" is on.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike
My compressor will run when I first start up the coach. The bags go down after about 15 min. The compressor will come on while on the road about each 15 min. also.
It will only run when the "Ignition" is on.
Rob,

Mine is somewhat like yours, with the exception that I have air bags on front as well as rear - and a compressor the size of a scuba tank mounted under the front of the vehicle. It only runs when the ignition is on, but will cycle from time to time as I'm traveling. It does let you know it's running, however. Sounds like the cooling fan kicking in - only with a very slight knocking sound thrown in for good measure. Apparently much heavier duty set-up due to the total air suspension system of this model. I suspect this isn't much help with your particular problem, but mine is wired rather heavy duty. Maybe if you beef up the wiring see if the circuit breaking stops? Another idea would be to use a "good" circuit breaker and see if it pops that.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Rob,

Maybe I can help you. It is not a good sign that the compressor is coming on so frequently. It should just fill up the bags, the tank and then be off for a long time. With yours coming on so frequently, it might be heating up and then going after the circuit breaker. The wiring might also be too small and that could lead to the common boast "I had to re-wire the whole thing".

I would go on a hunt with soapy water for something leaking. All connections, all bags, the tank, all of it.

I have recently finished doing the same. I needed a new compressor and got one from Summit. I also added lines to the front bags (also replaced) that are in the springs. I put in a pressure gauge to let me know what is going on.

My system is also wired so that it only comes on when the ignition is on.

Luck with it.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Rob,
I agree with Steve. Mine comes on maybe once a week and only drops a few pounds in that week.

Glen,
The PO wired mine into a toggle switch on the dash so I turn mine off completely when in camp. Your story reminds me of camping enroute in a WalMart parking lot. Seems like no matter what WalMArt I'm in they clean the parking lot at 4:00am and do ten laps around my Airstream.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Andalusia , Alabama
Streamers,
An update on the cycling air compressor. I finally got a chance to get under the coach with the system up to pressure. I had both air lines going to the left tag valve leaking. This valve was replaced right after we got the coach, and the mechanic must have not tightened the fittings well enough. I did not find any other leaks.
The rear has stayed up now for over 5 hours. Best it's done since we've had it.
Rob
Old 09-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Rob,

Don't you just love the cheap fixes? Congrads on fixing it yourself. So many folks don't think they can work on their own coach. I usually tell them if they don't think they can do it, look at the people that are usually doing it! Not to disparage those among you that can truly wear the title of mechanic.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote