Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #29
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Man Mel, that fusion surgery on that many vertebra is tough to say the least....did they fuse three together? I'm in the same condition, S1 - L3. Still trying to decide what to do.
Sure hope you heal up good and most your pain is gone. Take it easy on that sucker, none of us are as young and hopefully as stupid as we used to be. Wishing you the absolute best.

Mike
I got S-1 to L-2. L-5 had 'slipped' by about 45 degrees. It was time. The right side had started to self-fuse, bone to nerve.
I got over whelmed by 'stupid' yesterday and picked up a 5 gallon gas can. After that I didn't feel up to start on rebuilding my air pump.
Go see some quack at noon today. Got to love all these folk that want socialized medicine. Be lucky if they can run it any better then the great VA.
Oh! I driver yesterday to get the gas. Five weeks and I had to think on how all the stuff worked

Old 05-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Well Mel I see you joined the club of back surgery. I've been there twice before. Once at 24 years old then again at 53. I have to tell you I healed in no time at 24 but at 53 it took a few years. I'm 62 now. I was scheduled for another surgery about 2 years ago. Five days before surgery I was in a wheel chair unable to walk or stand unassisted. At that time I was diagnosed with GBS. This was unrelated to the back problems. I was paralyzed for 6 weeks in the hospital and had 8 weeks of physical therapy to get walking again.
This in a weird sense was fortunate. The extended bed rest allowed the problem in my back to heal sufficiently to not require surgery. I guess the point I'm trying to make is DON'T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD TOO SOON. You will be better off giving it a chance to heal. I could never do that on my own. It took another disease to allow it to happen. Take it easy. Slowly increase your activity, and yes, do the stupid exercises they tell you to do. (PS this is a good opportunity to get other people to wait on you if you play your cards right). Hang in there. Get well.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #31
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
Well Mel I see you joined the club of back surgery. I've been there twice before. Once at 24 years old then again at 53. I have to tell you I healed in no time at 24 but at 53 it took a few years. I'm 62 now. I was scheduled for another surgery about 2 years ago. Five days before surgery I was in a wheel chair unable to walk or stand unassisted. At that time I was diagnosed with GBS. This was unrelated to the back problems. I was paralyzed for 6 weeks in the hospital and had 8 weeks of physical therapy to get walking again.
This in a weird sense was fortunate. The extended bed rest allowed the problem in my back to heal sufficiently to not require surgery. I guess the point I'm trying to make is DON'T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD TOO SOON. You will be better off giving it a chance to heal. I could never do that on my own. It took another disease to allow it to happen. Take it easy. Slowly increase your activity, and yes, do the stupid exercises they tell you to do. (PS this is a good opportunity to get other people to wait on you if you play your cards right). Hang in there. Get well.
This is turning into the medical thread.
That GBS is strange stuff. Hope you recover from it.... Well you'll never recover, totally. I have Meniere's syndrome which is the auto-immune system attack on the inter ear. Had to have my inter ear removed to stop the constant vertigo. With the inter ear removed I felt great! Ended up the DOD started the process of firing me. I applied for a medical just before I got the boot. After 21 years of being a A/C jet engine mechanic, 10 point vet, getting the outstanding reviews year after year. I got 'little Ricky' for a boss and my job review went in the toilet. Glad I'm not in the work force for the last 20 years. And 20 years ago I really wanted to go 'postal' at the job!!!!

I had back surgery 6 years ago. At the time the VA wouldn't even get me a new MRI. I was in a PAIN. So I found a (nonVA)surgery that would see and look at may 3-4 year old MRI. He did a de-compresion of L-2 to S-1. No pain for about a year, then it returned. Took my 5 years to get into ortho clinic(VA). Then only because my left shoulder is bad. By then I was popping 30-40mg of hydrocodone a day.
VA Ortho gave me a little bottle of 7.5mg hydrocodones when I came home from the hospital. Went through them like candy. Tried to contact the VA doctor in ortho.... Never got a call back. So I quit taking anything. Didn't hurt any worse. Been taking Naros for 10+ years except the year I was pain free. I'm really sorry I didn't go back to the non-VA surgery. Would cost more than the first surgery.