Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
You get what you pay for......eh ???? And the “Free” shipping.....such a deal! Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
I am putting in a custom built aluminum radiator this fall into the 370LE, I had the original radiator re-cored....$950.00 last year so it will be up for grabs. The 370LE radiator will only fit a 370LE, not at all the same size as the one I did in the 325LE. It is very wide and not so tall. The Detroit mechanicalfan is about 26” in diameter so no mechanical fan.....2 18” electric fans with a custom made shroud. The list goes on and on for the diesel conversion but for reliability it has to be done right. Regards, Bob
Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
You get what you pay for......eh ???? And the “Free” shipping.....such a deal! Regards, Bob
It was worth a shot, it is free shipping going back too

Looking on eBay now (How much worse can that be than Amazon)

Actually looks like this guy may be making his own:
EDIT to add: I saw a note on his ebay store that the radiators are built by Superior Radiator in Mt. Clemens, Michigan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-Motor-home-RV-Radiator-with-Engine-oil-cooler-all-aluminum-all-welded/163021317385
For $600 it is setup with the proper filler setup and all the dimensions are correct.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
i WOULD CHECK CORE DIMENSIONS....IT COULD BE A 2 OR 3 ROW RADIATOR AND NOT A 4 ROW, IT MAY ALSO HAVE 7/16" TUBES AND NOT 9/16". WHEN CHEVROLET DELIVERED THESE CHASSIS TO AIRSTREAM THERE WAS NO PROVISION FOR AIR CONDITIONING...THIS WAS AN ADD ON THAT AIRSTREAM DID, HENSE THE SMALLER RADIATOR SIZE TUBES AND 5 BLADE FAN INSTEAD OF A SEVEN BLADE. THE RADIATOR MAY LOOK THE SAME IN THE PICTURE BUT UNDER CLOSE INSPECTION YOU MAY SEE THE DIFFERENCE.....REGARDS, BOB
Old 05-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would find an old radiator shop and ship it to them and have them boil it out and rod it. You will be back to new.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Just do what you know is correct and ship it to a recommended shop. I did my collector car one with an old school shop on Long Island with no regrets. No way was I installing a Chinese aftermarket being sold thru the car catalogues.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
For tube size, the company that makes the radiator I am looking at, uses 2 rows of 1.125" wide tubes. This link explains their theory:
http://superiorradiator.net/about-us
Here is the link to what I am looking at:
https://superiorradiator.net/shop?ol...ine-oil-cooler
Quote:
Hi this fits all the p 30 motor home chassis Chevrolet and gmc
it has the front filler neck the neck comes off the front of the radiator on a extension hose please look at the picture 2
we also have the one with no engine oil cooler check our store
Radiator Style: Cross flow
Inlet Location: Upper driver side 1 1/4
Outlet Location: Lower passenger side 1 1/2
Radiator Material: aluminum all welded no plastic no epoxy
Radiator Finish: aluminum
Core Width (in): 28.375 in. Core Height (in): 19.250 in. Core Thickness (in): 2.625 in.
Row Quantity: 2 rows of 1 1/8 inch tubes
Transmission Cooler: Yes driver side
ENGINE OIL COOLER passenger side
Inlet Size: 1 5/16 in. Outlet Size: 1 9/16 in.
Tube Size: 1 1/8 in.
Fan Included: No
Radiator Cap Included: No I
T COMES WITH A 1 YEAR WARRANTY
THIS IS IN STOCK READY TO SHIP
By the looks of it, this should drop right in. I just need to verify the saddle positions to fit in the frame.

As for reworking the original radiator, I could spent more time and money finding a good shop, but since they will be extinct soon, it is time to see how well a aluminum radiator works. I will stash the original with my other "spare parts" in the basement, and maybe get it reworked when time and money permits.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Please keep us posted, this looks pretty good to me.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Please keep us posted, this looks pretty good to me.
I called them to verify some dimensions, and I think it should be a good fit.
I ordered one at 9:30AM today and I have a tracking number at 11AM. Hopefully it will be here early next week.
I need to be on the road next Friday afternoon for a run up a long hill with my 4 wheeler in tow. That run usually puts my temp gauge above 240 on a 70 deg day. If it is 85 and sunny like today, it will be a good stress test.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
The "New" aluminum core radiators do kool better in a smaller package than the old copper/brass radiators . In most instances the tubes in the aluminum radiator are 1 inch wide or larger versus the 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch wide tubes for a copper/brass radiator.

Although aluminum is naturally not as good as copper when it comes to thermal heat transfer the ability to make the aluminum radiator with much larger tubes than is possible with a copper/brass radiator is the key factor that results in better heat transfer. This manufacturing change makes a big difference in the surface area required for more efficient thermal heat transfer or in simple terms better cooling performance. As such a modern aluminum core radiator can be much thinner than a copper/brass radiator and achieve the same or greater cooling efficiency. Given the wider cooling tubes in the aluminum radiator they are also much less prone to clogging up than a copper/brass radiator. Personally I have never had a modern radiator leak from a failure in the aluminum core. Generally the commonly used plastic side tanks fail long before the aluminum radiator core.

Early on a lot of aftermarket racing/high end aluminum radiators with aluminum tanks used epoxy to assemble the cooling tubes to the radiator core. Ron Davis Racing Radiators comes to mind. Bad idea that did not work that well. It's been 10+ years since I have seen an epoxy aluminum radiator so this should not be a problem.

Mishimoto and Champion Radiator both make a good product if you are looking for a larger aftermarket aluminum radiator. Some times you will find an OEM direct replacement aluminum radiator that's labeled as Heavy Duty cooling (HD). Generally they will have 2 large aluminum cooling tubes and as such will be a thicker radiator that looks more like the copper/brass radiator of old. You will never have cooling issues if you use one of these upgrades if available and the rest of your cooling system parts are in good condition.

Always remember to replace the hoses, clamps, thermostat, water pump and make double sure you get a NEW CORRECT RADIATOR CAP for your application. Given the newer modern cooling system designs that may mean a trip to the dealer for a NEW OEM correct radiator cap.

Yes the radiator cap can be that important in today's modern cooling systems. The wrong radiator cap can easily cause an overheating issue given the complexity of some modern radiator cap designs.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I'm very interested in this product, please keep us posted with photos, ease of fitting and performance once you are up and running.

many thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I called them to verify some dimensions, and I think it should be a good fit.
I ordered one at 9:30AM today and I have a tracking number at 11AM. Hopefully it will be here early next week.
I need to be on the road next Friday afternoon for a run up a long hill with my 4 wheeler in tow. That run usually puts my temp gauge above 240 on a 70 deg day. If it is 85 and sunny like today, it will be a good stress test.
Wayne - not sure if my 91 has the same radiator, but I think the core width may be different to mine, so I am struggling to understand how the fans would all connect. I shall look at some pictures tonight and try and get my head round it.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I am not sure of the 91, this diagram has the dimensions taken from my original radiator.

The radiator arrived today, lets say I had to go get it from the UPS terminal because the local drive "Forgot" to put it on his truck. I dont buy it, I think someone trashed the box and nobody wanted responsibility. This is how the box looked when I got it from UPS:

I firmly believe that if you put something on the outside of a box claiming it is a breakable item, the gorilla handlers will do their best to break it!
And whatever they threw at it went through 2 boxes and bubble wrap!
And dinged the radiator:

A closer look only shows a slightly crushed tube. I will contact the seller tomorrow to see what they want to do, but I only have 2 days to get this back together and tested.
I have more photos and some preliminary comments about the radiator on this link:
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai...periorRadiator
Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I talked to Superior Radiator, they did not think the ding will be a problem.
I started the install at noon and I am mostly done at 5.
I had to change one heater hose from 5/8 to 3/4 at the radiator, so now I need to reduce the size back to 5/8.
I also need to find a new way to mount the electric fan. If you use the normal plastic ties through the core, it voids the warranty. I need to make a frame.
I have not had time or energy to upload more photos yet, maybe tomorrow after the rain starts
Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quick favour Wayne. Could you measure the dimensions of that box it came in? Assuming you have retained it? Ta Nick
Old 05-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Quick favour Wayne. Could you measure the dimensions of that box it came in? Assuming you have retained it? Ta Nick
Always save the box
Outer box is 25x8x36
Inner box is 24x6x36
Old 05-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Always save the box
Outer box is 25x8x36
Inner box is 24x6x36
Nick, those dimensions aren't in millimeters
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Nick, those dimensions aren't in millimeters
Yes they are as long as you multiply them by the secret code 25.4
Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
The installation is complete and functional. No leaks so far, but it has just been idling in the yard, A real test will be tomorrow on a 25 mile run that is all uphill. Another run through the Catskills on the following weekend with Family in tow will also test its endurance.

To get the job finished for this run, I made a temp mount for the electric fan. That will need to be done properly whet I am back from this run.

I will do a proper write up when I get some time, but I think, with a few tweaks, will work fine in a Classic Airstream Motorhome.

So far the major issues are either capping the 3/4" heater nipple on the radiator, or using it and plugging the 5/8" port on the water pump.

Another issue is the top & bottom of the side tanks go all the way to the ridge where the rubber saddles go. To get my radiator framework to bolt back together, I used a ratchet strap around the frame to squeeze the saddles enough to get the frame bolts installed. It was not a lot of force, but it was not going to happen without some force.

I need to rework my drawings also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	310621   Click image for larger version

Name:	ratcheted.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	310623  

Old 05-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #40