Old 05-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
My radiator should be here today so I can get a look at it and see what I need to adapt it.
I will do my best to document what I need to do to get it to fit.

BTW, the Spectra CU850 is the one sold by several major online outlets for the P30 chassis. I would rather have a total metal version, but at $125 and free 3 day shipping, this one was hard to pass up.

I know that at minimum I will need to cut a 2.5 to 3" hole in the frame for the radiator cap. It looks like the cap may be close to flush with the top of the framework, making for a PIA getting to it.

The upper hose will either need to be adapted or replaced to fit the larger nipple. Maybe put a 1.75" ported nipple on the thermostat housing and run a universal hose?

I also have extra ports on the passenger side to plug or make use of. I think one set may be for the heater hose and I may use one of them to mount the electric fan temperature sensor. I was wondering about using the other oil cooler pair to add in series with the transmission cooler?

Old 05-03-2018, 05:05 AM   #16
Tin Man

1983 27' Excella
Charlottesville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
You might reach out to wizard cooling, they make performance aluminum radiators and their prices are very reasonable, and they will custom build to any specs.

I dropped one of their radiators into my wifes 78 mustang and was very happy, perfect bolt in replacement, very high quality.

They say on their page a custom build is usually in the $650-900 range.

The mustang ii one I got was around $600
Wizard makes fantastic radiators. They stock a new aluminum one for a sports car I own for about $500. It's twice the price and ten times the quality of the foreign ones on eBay and Amazon.

We still have an old school radiator shop in town, but his price to recore my 45 year old radiator was about the same as a new aluminum one from Wizard.

LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Aluminum is more expensive than steel, and harder to work with, lowering profits.

A properly built aluminum radiator, tig welded with no glue or plastic, will cool significantly better than an equivalent copper radiator.

Aluminum body panels don't rust, and yes, aluminum is lighter, therefore better mileage.

We're on an airstream forum, why the hate on aluminum?

1st off no hate , just one of the things your making up .
Tell where you found a steel radiator - they do not exist .
Past radiators , that were typical to re-core were copper / sometime some brass - more expensive .
In a typical [ non race / or custom ] , you will not find all aluminum radiators - they have plastic tanks , either side or top & mount .
Then there is something called the galvanic chart , aluminum it more reactive that copper or some brass , so if well maintained , last longer and is easier to repair .
And that is besides the high failure rate of the plastic tanks & seals .
I would not say hate is not the same thing , but watching what the auto industry [ and others ] have done to screw us in the name of profit - does piss me off .
Having been in the auto industry over 40 yrs.
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Radiators: Recore?

I agree with John TF on several points. Plastic tanks on radiators are eventually going to be a failure point. They are not as durable as aluminum, copper, or brass. OTC aluminum radiators do typically come with plastic tanks and are a less than ideal choice for a repair you want to be long term. If I had a old piece of motorized equipment that I cared about, especially one that is expensive and difficult to repair away from home, I would take the route of a custom, built-to-fit, better than OEM all aluminum radiator. Further, I would use one of the better coolant fluids that are designed to reduce corrosion and run cooler at the same time.
If a person would rather work on a vehicle on the side of the road at night with a flashlight instead of enjoying a reliable ride, enjoy the savings of cheap parts. Without a doubt, some people luck out and the el cheapo part)s) they installed beat the statistics and last forever. The tooth fairy really is out there somewhere (probably having a cold one with Peter Pan), but will he (or she) be available at 9 PM on Sunday night to tow you from the breakdown site 120 miles from the nearest shop for no charge? Cheap parts for critical function components such as radiators more often than not wind up costing more than you "saved".
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
1st off no hate , just one of the things your making up .
Tell where you found a steel radiator - they do not exist .
Past radiators , that were typical to re-core were copper / sometime some brass - more expensive .
In a typical [ non race / or custom ] , you will not find all aluminum radiators - they have plastic tanks , either side or top & mount .
Then there is something called the galvanic chart , aluminum it more reactive that copper or some brass , so if well maintained , last longer and is easier to repair .
And that is besides the high failure rate of the plastic tanks & seals .
I would not say hate is not the same thing , but watching what the auto industry [ and others ] have done to screw us in the name of profit - does piss me off .
Having been in the auto industry over 40 yrs.
Haha, didn't mean to start anything here, i was just confused about the anti aluminum comment. I read your comment of aluminum in cars as more vaugeley against all aluminum in cars than i guess it was intended. Im aware there is no such thing as a steel radiator. I know lots of guys that love to gripe about aluminum body panels for no good reason, that argument was primed on the top of my head.

I think most all of us can agree plastic on radiators is terrible, gluing plastic to metal just isn't a great idea for something that sees severe temperature swings!

And it's not just the auto industry, it's all of them. Given the option to make a cheap buck at the consumers expense, most companies will always take the money
Magnet18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Easy come, easy go! Got the radiator at 4PM, and it is waiting for UPS at 5PM
First, Amazon said it was used and in Very Good condition, maybe that was in a past life?

Even the box has seen better days

More photos at the bottom of the page here: http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai...e_cooling.html

Beside the gorilla handling, they must have pulled on it real hard because my radiator is 36 inches wide, this thing is 40.5" wide!
DON'T buy a Spectra Premium CU850 for our machines!

Back to the search, I have an event at the end of next week so I may have to put mine back in for a while.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
You get what you pay for......eh ???? And the “Free” shipping.....such a deal! Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
I am putting in a custom built aluminum radiator this fall into the 370LE, I had the original radiator re-cored....$950.00 last year so it will be up for grabs. The 370LE radiator will only fit a 370LE, not at all the same size as the one I did in the 325LE. It is very wide and not so tall. The Detroit mechanicalfan is about 26” in diameter so no mechanical fan.....2 18” electric fans with a custom made shroud. The list goes on and on for the diesel conversion but for reliability it has to be done right. Regards, Bob
Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
You get what you pay for......eh ???? And the “Free” shipping.....such a deal! Regards, Bob
It was worth a shot, it is free shipping going back too

Looking on eBay now (How much worse can that be than Amazon)

Actually looks like this guy may be making his own:
EDIT to add: I saw a note on his ebay store that the radiators are built by Superior Radiator in Mt. Clemens, Michigan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-Motor-home-RV-Radiator-with-Engine-oil-cooler-all-aluminum-all-welded/163021317385
For $600 it is setup with the proper filler setup and all the dimensions are correct.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
i WOULD CHECK CORE DIMENSIONS....IT COULD BE A 2 OR 3 ROW RADIATOR AND NOT A 4 ROW, IT MAY ALSO HAVE 7/16" TUBES AND NOT 9/16". WHEN CHEVROLET DELIVERED THESE CHASSIS TO AIRSTREAM THERE WAS NO PROVISION FOR AIR CONDITIONING...THIS WAS AN ADD ON THAT AIRSTREAM DID, HENSE THE SMALLER RADIATOR SIZE TUBES AND 5 BLADE FAN INSTEAD OF A SEVEN BLADE. THE RADIATOR MAY LOOK THE SAME IN THE PICTURE BUT UNDER CLOSE INSPECTION YOU MAY SEE THE DIFFERENCE.....REGARDS, BOB
Old 05-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would find an old radiator shop and ship it to them and have them boil it out and rod it. You will be back to new.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
Just do what you know is correct and ship it to a recommended shop. I did my collector car one with an old school shop on Long Island with no regrets. No way was I installing a Chinese aftermarket being sold thru the car catalogues.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
For tube size, the company that makes the radiator I am looking at, uses 2 rows of 1.125" wide tubes. This link explains their theory:
http://superiorradiator.net/about-us
Here is the link to what I am looking at:
https://superiorradiator.net/shop?ol...ine-oil-cooler
Quote:
Hi this fits all the p 30 motor home chassis Chevrolet and gmc
it has the front filler neck the neck comes off the front of the radiator on a extension hose please look at the picture 2
we also have the one with no engine oil cooler check our store
Radiator Style: Cross flow
Inlet Location: Upper driver side 1 1/4
Outlet Location: Lower passenger side 1 1/2
Radiator Material: aluminum all welded no plastic no epoxy
Radiator Finish: aluminum
Core Width (in): 28.375 in. Core Height (in): 19.250 in. Core Thickness (in): 2.625 in.
Row Quantity: 2 rows of 1 1/8 inch tubes
Transmission Cooler: Yes driver side
ENGINE OIL COOLER passenger side
Inlet Size: 1 5/16 in. Outlet Size: 1 9/16 in.
Tube Size: 1 1/8 in.
Fan Included: No
Radiator Cap Included: No I
T COMES WITH A 1 YEAR WARRANTY
THIS IS IN STOCK READY TO SHIP
By the looks of it, this should drop right in. I just need to verify the saddle positions to fit in the frame.

As for reworking the original radiator, I could spent more time and money finding a good shop, but since they will be extinct soon, it is time to see how well a aluminum radiator works. I will stash the original with my other "spare parts" in the basement, and maybe get it reworked when time and money permits.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Please keep us posted, this looks pretty good to me.

Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote