Old 01-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question on 454 MH Engine

As a new owner of a 63000 mile unit I have only driven it about 310 miles. My one test of MPG was 6.7 so even though it drove well at about 60-65 mph I am a little worred that something is wrong. I am anxious to get it home so I can change out the distributor cap, the ignition wires, the hoses, belts, and other things that I can change so maybe a problem will go away. I do not want this thing to let me down while on a trip so as soon as I can get it back from an Airstream dealer who is changing out a heater core then I will get started. My question(s) are: Does it use the same Plugs, wires, distributor, hoses, belts, as the Chev 454 Truck that Year, in my case 93? Second, How do I get access to my engine and any advice for working on these engines in that big hole? Curious if anyone knows how one would get a new engine in place if it ever had to be replaced? From Top or bottom? Thanks in Advance

Old 01-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Crossmember

As for plugs, and other parts, buy for a 454 on a "p30" Chassis.

as for access, you can go through the "dog house" or the cowling inside of coach. And for most easy access to motor and plugs, jack vehiclena dremove front tires. Then you can get to to the engine very easily.

As for engine extraction, depends on the crossmemebr of your hydraulic lift system. If it is fixed than you may have to cut it and drop motor from bottom, after breaking tranny loose of course. If you can get a long "cherry picker" or long armed lift, you can pull motor from the top. Open driver door and remove driver seat. Motor will fit through the driver door.
Some RV mechanics have been known to remove the windshield to remove motor through windshield opening.

Smily

Old 01-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Winter gas, 16k+ vehicle, stale fuel in tank. 6.7 isn't sounding so bad.

I would still do a tune up and check plug wires and timing but not sureI would do much more till I ran it with a feash tank of fuel. My 88 FI 454 Burb is only getting 9.5 on winter grade with longer warm ups as a DD. When towing I was getting 9 mpg with 7k on the hitch. Your only 2mpg off that and probably got 3k more weight if not more.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hi,

Welcome aboard. I'm up in Jonesboro Ar.

I've got a 93 Land Yacht too. I had Joe's Tire and Auto shop in Jonesboro change belts, hoses, plugs & wires, and tune it up.
RV Power in Branson Mo installed a Banks exhaust, that made a BIG difference in power, milage, and it runs cooler too. RV Power can also install shocks and other upgrades if you want. Gateway Tire can install new tires if you need those. The Airstream dealer in St Louis can supply you with those little items if you need Airsteam stuff.

This is a great forum, lots of friendly and informative people here.
If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.
I'm new to RVing & and Airstreams but I'm willing to share whatever I can

Don
Old 01-19-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
63000 miles on a B.B. Chevy motor isn't to much.My last MH had 77000 mile on it and it still ran strong.As for your tune up part numbers a 1993 Chevy P30 van will work but you may have diffent part number for the plug wires,and the hoses you may have to match up.The best way to work on it is to pull off the cover and lay down in to the hole. 6.7 mpg for a "local" run not to bad ,I run 6.5 when I am on the pedal or when I go up and down the hills and about 9 ish on the flats with a light footif you are looing for some tip to get better look for some other theads in the forums about mpg gains.Good luck Jim.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If you open the doghouse cover, and need more access look for bolts holding the rear section down, iot too can be removed, although in my coach I have to pull the radio and the dash cover in that area.
You might want to clean your carb as well , and check fuel filters in addition to your ignition tune up. My carb cleaning made a big difference. I also added a "tornado", air manager to the air cleaner, and I am getting 8-9 mpg towing my car behind. I was getting 7 or so prior to the cleaning and addition.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Very good info fellas. I need to clarify a couple of things. I drove the 310 miles on relatively flat Interstate between Nashville and Memphis Tenn and the Gas was new. The other thing is on the Forum I accidently put in 36' instead of the 33' correct model. I do not know how to change my profile but if anyone does I hope they will help. My unit is exactly the same as Don from Jonesboro. Small World, even the same color. I will take your advice and change the distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs and try again. I don't know how accurate my gas measuring system was on my first try. I did use about 46.7 Gallons on 310 miles of highway driving and surely I can do better than that by following your suggestions. I do note a K & N filter installed but plug wires are flopping around without being held in place. Maybe with your help I can accomplish a few simple(I hope) things and learn from your experiences. Thanks ( Another thought) Since the unit is over at Searcy Arkansas at a new Airstream Dealer, a longtime Chev Dealer. Do ya thing it might be wise to have them put the engine on the computer and see if the FI system may be working as it should. I did have an oxygen sensor once (small car) that caused the engine to run rich and mess up the MPG. I have no clue as to the interface in 1993 and wonder if it is even possible to get a good read. Ron
Old 01-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
can't hurt too have the dealer analyze the engine for you. Might be good baseline info as you embark on upgrades and maintenance.
Asfor the edit of the profile go to your user cp button at the screen right top. You will find the options youn need there.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote