Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
You might consider locating your pump closer to the tank pickup. Any restriction on the suction side of the pump can cause problems. Six feet of 3/8" hose can cause enough pressure loss to allow warm gasoline to vaporize. Mine is located at the front end of the tank with just enough hose to reach the pickup tube located on top of the tank. Anyway you might give it some thought. Good luck.
I would if it would fit, but there is limited space back there, and my main fuel filter is a large spin on type about the size of an oil filter. I want it before any of the pumps. There is no room to mount it and the lift pump by my tank. On the 27 footer the fuel tank, holding tanks and generator is all that fits behind the rear axil.
When I put in the lift pump I changed the spin on fuel filter. You should have seen the "black sand" that came out of it, there must be more than a table spoon full. If I used a small inline filter before the lift pump at the tank, it would probably clog up very fast.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
I guess there is more room on a 345. I used a coarser filter on the suction side, I believe something like 74 micron, to protect the pump and a finer 10 micron filter, to protect the injectors on the discharge. I haven't (Cross my fingers) had any trouble in the five years since the conversion. Let us know how you make out. I'm sure many are interested or considering the same upgrade.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #87
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
my main fuel filter is a large spin on type....
Wayne, could you share the specs on that filter arrangement, please?

thanks!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I am not sure what the factory configuration of the fuel filters was on this motorhome. I found invoices from 1997 where the previous owner paid about $600 to have the tank pulled and cleaned for some sort of contamination and right after that they bought a Baldwin FB1311 base and BF1212 filter. It is mounted under the floor between the slide out compartment in front of the door and the battery compartment. I am guessing this is where the stock in line fuel filter would have gone. There were no other filters other than the one in the quadrajet.
These are the specs of the Baldwin filter, it is intended for a diesel engine as a water fuel separator/filter.
Quote:
This filter is designed to be on the suction side of the fuel pump. See below for Fuel Filter Specs.
Flow Rates:
210 GPH @ 1 PSID
300+ GPH @ 3 PSID
Other Specs:
Capacity in Grams: 32.4
Filtration: 4 micron @ 86% / 20 micron @ 99%
Burst Pressure: 150psi
Collapse Pressure: 100psid
I did not measure, but I guess there is about 8 feet of 3/8 steel fuel line back to the tank, and rubber hose to the ends. I bought Goodyear J30R9 Fuel injector hose to replace all I could reach.
Right after the Baldwin filter I installed the lift pump and then back into the stock 3/8" steel line to the front where it use to attach to the mechanical fuel pump.
From there I ran about 10" of the 3/8" Goodyear line to a NAPA inline filter that is mounted up front just in front of the cross member under the fan shroud. The filter that came with the AFI kit had 5/16" ends so I bought a 3/8" filter at NAPA #3033.
I could not find any specs on the filter but the "counter man" claims it is 20 microns. I would have preferred 10 microns, but it is hard to find any specs on these steel inline filters. With the 20 micron Baldwin down stream, I could probably have gone strait to the turbine pump and saved some friction losses in the line.
From the 3033 filter, it is a 3" piece of rubber fuel line into AFI's turbine pump and then steel line making a U turn to mate up with the 3/8" line going up the front of the engine to the throttle body. The 5/16" steel return line parallels the supply line and via a rubber line goes to the 1/4" stock return line on the frame.

When I did a test run with this new setup, I still have noise from the turbine pump, it seems excessive, but in other forums I have seen that others have found these Bosch turbine pumps noisy. One mentioned that the noise is due to the pump's turbine rotation generating vapor bubbles.
If that is the case I would think that the pump is pushing fuel harder than the throttle body regulator can allow it to return to the tank.
When the replacement gets here. I will see if it has the same amount of noise.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Just for Chits & Giggles I analyzed the residue from the fuel filter and as I would expect, it was mostly iron with traces of copper and/or zinc. Probably more likely zinc from what was the lining of the gas tank. It is nice to have a particle accelerator handy to do things like that
Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
On my last test run the turbine pump pressure was fine but it still seemed noisier than it should be. The new pump arrived, and if this rain ever stops, I will swap it out to see if it is any quieter running.
I am slowly editing my installation article in between my wanderings. I expect to have a link to a rough copy for viewing soon.

One sidetrack I am taking with this project is to add a vehicle speed sensor to the ECM. The kit does not offer one for this year of vehicle, and although it wont improve the performance, it is an easy install. Since I have a Rostra cruse control VSS on the speedometer cable already, I just needed to add a DRAC module and then send the DRAC output signals to the cruise control and to the ECM.
It took some tweaking because the Rostra VSS gives 8000 pulses per mile (PPM) and (I thought) the ECM requires 4000 PPM. I just modified the DRAC jumpers so the cruise output only gets buffered VSS signal and the ECM gets a divide by 2 signal.
My only problem is that on the computer screen it is showing 2X the MPH, so I am guessing the ECM may need 2000 PPM?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Fyi, I am keeping up, waiting for your next update!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
milton , Florida
Send a message via ICQ to Wayne D
does anyone know if banks power prducts work.

thanks, wayne
Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald wayne View Post
does anyone know if banks power prducts work.

thanks, wayne

I believe their products are pretty well engineered and work reasonably well. I do get a little suspicious of the hype and advertising. The quality of the components I got was quite superb as was the price. A bit of research might lead to similar results from other products for less money. Their tech support and customer service is pretty good. I'm happy with the products I've bought from them. They always run sales. Just got a Father's Day flyer from them. Generally about 20% off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402683749.102052.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	214150
Old 06-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
When I feel a little richer, I would like to try the Banks headers. They say it can boost your resale price. (That is if you intend to sell, I think this one is a keeper)
My latest installment in the web article:
15 June: I installed the replacement turbine fuel pump yesterday. It was a different design from the original. Shorter, and it has 5/16" tubing fittings, not 3/8" It also came with a foam sleeve, I assume to help deaden sound. I needed a longer piece of fuel line for the inlet to get it to fit and I am a bit worried about using 3/8" hose on a 5/16" outlet fitting, but I do not have a choice because the fitting on the line to the engine is 3/8" and I cant redo that now. I used a band clamp and it looks like it will hold. Also to help with the heat problem I picked up some aluminized foam pipe wrap insulation. I am putting it on the pipe fittings and hoses that is exposed to the blast from radiator air. I was hoping the self stick insulation would stay on its own, but it started to unwrap so a few zip ties were needed to keep it on.
I fired it up the pressure came up to 27 PSI and so far it is a very quiet pump.

1) Original electric turbine fuel pump installed 2) Original pump on left, replacement on right.

3) Replacement pump installed 4) Fuel lines to frame and engine wrapped with foam-aluminum pipe insulation .

While doing the swap, I also took a photo of the spin on fuel filter and lift pump. The lift pump is on the outside of the frame and the filter base is attached to the rail mount for the slide out compartment. The view in the photo is with the compartment slid out and looking toward the front of the motorhome. The slide out battery box is behind the filter. The knob at the bottom of the filter is for a water drain. This filter was intended for diesel fuel but will work with gas.

1) Lift pump and spin on fuel filter
Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #95
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
may have said this before, BUT: Now that I have some (not all) of the bugs worked out of my EFI after my overhaul (489cid) it's gone from 6mpg to 9mpg. Motor isn't broken in yet and the PROM still isn't right. Hope for better news to come.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I finally got to do a MPG check last weekend. I topped of the tank from 1/2 to full with 40 gallons (Not a very accurate gas gauge unless the tank is more than 60 gallons)
did a 145 mile trip, with medium loading down I87 and into the Catskill mountains and back with about 110 miles on the highway at 60MPH (with one stop for a blown heater hose, dumping 3 gallons of coolant on the highway) and the remaining 35 miles on windy back roads 30 to 45 mph.
Today I topped it off with 17 gallons for a total MPG of 8.5.
Not bad, 9 or 10 would have been better, but dreaming, until I can afford some headers.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #97
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I finally got to do a MPG check last weekend. I topped of the tank from 1/2 to full with 40 gallons (Not a very accurate gas gauge unless the tank is more than 60 gallons)
did a 145 mile trip, with medium loading down I87 and into the Catskill mountains and back with about 110 miles on the highway at 60MPH (with one stop for a blown heater hose, dumping 3 gallons of coolant on the highway) and the remaining 35 miles on windy back roads 30 to 45 mph.
Today I topped it off with 17 gallons for a total MPG of 8.5.
Not bad, 9 or 10 would have been better, but dreaming, until I can afford some headers.
I am hoping 9-10 will be a reality when the motor is broke in. I hope to go south this winter and then I'll see how my handy work will..... well work I guess. I did set the cruise at about 65 mph and for most of the return trip it was raining cats and dogs.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Getting ready for more travels in a few weeks, and I fired up the engine and noticed a gasoline smell in the cabin. I took a look at the turbine fuel pump and sure enough there was a small leak at the 5/16" outlet fitting that I had to use a 3/8" hose on because the mating fitting is 3/8". I tightened the clamp and it stopped, but I think I need to change out the mating fitting to 5/16 and use the proper size hose.
I should redo the MPG test just in case that leak was there during my last test, but I doubt a 1 drip a minute leak will have much effect.
(The reason the smell was in the cabin is because the cabin fresh air intake is on the floor of the passengers side and rather close to the turbine fuel pump.)

Hopefully I get some free time soon to finish this article.