Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Wayne,

we have a 1977 Argosy with a 454 + TH400 + Gear Vendors under/overdrive. the engine also has an MSD-6A ignition module, and an MSD timing control.

in the GMC motorhome community, the highly respected guru for all things Rochester Quadrajet is a fellow named Dick Paterson, owner of Springfield Ignition and Paterson GMC, both in Coldwater, Ontario, Canada.

we'll be sending Dick both our Rochester Quad, and our stock GMC distributor for complete remanufacture and setup.

will let you know how that works for us!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I installed a (all GM part w/custom harness) EFI in 2006 on Silver Bullet. One of the first major things I did to it. It went from 4 mpg with NO power to over 7 mpg and enough power to cruise down the highway at any speed I dared. I've had near zero problems. The upgrade has paid for itself many time over. The only drawback to anything we do is, we/I have a 28 year old machine and, in my case, the EFI is 24 years old equipment.
Slap a 8.1 w/T-1000 in it and be up to date.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We just acquired a '91 350LE motorhome. It came from the factory with TBI, and Airstream added the Banks PowerPak.

I can attest that the TBI doesn't seem to help on fuel economy, I get about the same as the carburetor equipped units.

I would guess engine life would be the largest gain, altough I don't know if there would be a true return on investment.

The main reason for the gain in engine life of fuel injected engines is the elimination of over-fueling and washing the upper cylinder walls of oil.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I do think that my carb is spewing hot fuel into the engine when it is shut down, another good point to spend the bucks for the TBI system.
I called AFI today and spoke to their Tech guy. I had to take some measurements to be sure I have a long enough harness to get the electronics inside the cab. Right now I am hoping there is enough clearance so it will fit behind or under the "glove box" above the dog house. It may be to tight and I may have to get more creative. At first I thought 30" harness would be enough, but after my discussion, I am thinking to go with 60" to be safe. I would rather spend an extra $60 and coil up a few feet of cable than to find I cant stretch it an inch to mount it cleanly.

A new worry has come into play. A previous owner has installed a huge fuel filter behind one of the basement slide compartments in front of the door. I see he must have had a bad gas experience and spent $740 in 1997 to have the tank pulled, cleaned and all fuel filters replaced, so he installed a Baldwin BF1212 filter inline.
I hope I can keep that there and install the electric fuel pump just after this filter. I am worried if I will have prime problems?

If I was rich, I would just have the tank modified for a in tank pump, but we are doing this on the cheap.

I think I will open the wallet and order the system tomorrow. There is a 3 week back order, but I hope that gives me enough time to be up and running by mid April
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
A word of warning, injector pumps don't like to suck. My 345 Silver Bullet has a holley pump at the tank. That one stopped working and made the injector pump fail that I installed where the fule filter was on the outer frame rail behind the batteries. I put a new holley and injector pump in only to find I had a wiring problem to the rear pump. I found 3 crimp connector on the wire going back to the rear pump. Replaced w/one piece #10 wire and no more trouble. Some day I'm going to move the injector pump to where the holly pump is and see if it will supply pressure/volume. 10 years ago I just didn't think it would.
The new EFI systems look to be a lot more user friendly then the setup I'm using.
You will be pleasantly surprised by the improvement.
I would recommend getting the HEI distributor and the anti-knock sensor.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I despise Holley fuel pumps. I trashed a few of them before I went back to Carter.

If a Carter pump is within the spec you need, I recommend a change.

They don't look as sexy as a Holley pump, but if you prefer a reliable pump....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just a side comment: The discussions on this thread seem to be gradually increasing the complexity and grand total for this conversion. Since I have never owned a motorhome, it seems like rebuilding the carburetor might be more cost effective.

Are there underlying problems with the 454 V8 that aren't obvious to those of us who tow our Airstreams?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am a carb guy that just has to admit that fuel injection is better.

The swap can be;

A. Simple and relatively cheap
B. simple and expensive
C. Difficult and relatively cheap
D. Difficult and expensive

Do your research, Choose your product well, plan well, and execute.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I am a carb guy that just has to admit that fuel injection is better.

The swap can be;

A. Simple and relatively cheap
B. simple and expensive
C. Difficult and relatively cheap
D. Difficult and expensive

Do your research, Choose your product well, plan well, and execute.
I am guessing my installation will fit in there somewhere.
I just ordered the kit, and I expect to see it by the end of the month.
I will do my best to document the work to post here.

It looks like the fuel pump with this kit will be a Bosch, Since I initially want to mount this pump about half way between the tank in the rear and the engine, I hope it will work on its own, otherwise I will need a booster pump. I am blanking off the mechanical fuel pump.

Since the air pump will interfere with the O2 sensor, I will also need to disable it, I figure I can get a shorter belt for the alternator and the check valves will do the rest.

I also need to do a junk yard search for either a spacer for the TBI to have clearance or a air cleaner that is made for the unit.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The generation of Chevy trucks that started in 87 or 88 used a nice spacer till they moved away from throttle body injection several years later.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have not worked with the motorhomes but I have done the tbi conversion to a Jeep pickup with an AMC motor. The GM TBI system worked great once dialed-in. The vehicle started and ran with just a quick bump of the starter in any weather. Fuel mileage improved by 2 mpg, the engine would kick up a few rpm's when the A/C was turned on. I imagine the O2 sensor and spark control should also help you traveling in altitudes. I used the Howell system.
If I recall the throttle body came in two sizes (smaller/larger tbi bore). The larger one was of course for the 454's and smaller ones for the 350 engines.

It not likely to recoup your money but it should run quite a bit better on the whole and worth it in that respect. Keep a spare fuel pump in your tool box.

I tried the expensive Edelbrock fuel injection system on another Jeep but it was flat out an awful system and a waste of money compared to the results I got from the tbi system.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I like the idea of an extra fuel pump, which reminds me of a somewhat related story about my 77 20' Argosy, "The Yelo Sub"
About 10 years ago we went to a music festival in Mass, and the Argosy was running real rough up I 91. I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling. We managed to get to our spot in the woods, and settled in. The next day I took off the dog house cover and I tried to start it, and it was totally flooded. In desperation I pulled the top off the Quadrajet and I found the brass float, was not floating, it was full of gas and sunk, letting fuel just pour into the engine.
Since I was in a location that did not have carb parts anywhere nearby, I immediately went into McGuiver mode. I pulled the float out of the carb, and gently heated it in hot water to find out where the holes were and expel the fuel that was inside. I marked the holes (yes there was more than one) with a sharpie.
Fortunately my destination was a festival where I was providing sound and video gear, and being an electronics person besides, you know I had a soldering iron and solder with me.
Once all the fuel was out of the float, with a few dabs of solder in the right places, I put the float back in, bolted it all together, and it ran like a champ..
At least until I got home and bought a plastic float.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #27
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I despise Holley fuel pumps. I trashed a few of them before I went back to Carter.

If a Carter pump is within the spec you need, I recommend a change.

They don't look as sexy as a Holley pump, but if you prefer a reliable pump....
The Holley pump didn't fail. The use of crimp connectors by Airstream is what failed. The Holley pump I took off is now my spare.

I welded a nut on the fuel pump cover for the knock sensor.

As far as paying for it self:
Installed in 2004. Price of gas was $1.89 per gallon.
With carburetor 4 mpg or $0.47 per mile
With EFI (TBI) 6.9 mpg or $0.27 per mile
Total cost of EFI $1500 or 7500 miles to pay of system
If gas was still $1.89 it has paid for itself 8 time
Average price of gas in 2013 was $3.05 which would mean I saved $1500 in just 4677.5 miles. The system paid for itself again just last year.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Even though my TBI system wont be here for a few weeks, I did take advantage of the Balmy 43 Deg (F) day.
Today I took care of the Air pump. I was going to just remove the pulley and leave the pump in place, but there were still clearance issues and the belt would have rubbed. So I pulled the pump, rubber tubes and the check valves. For now I will just put caps where the check valves were on the assembly to the manifolds.
The valve on my air pump was vacuum controlled, and it was interesting to find the other end of that tube going to the round vacuum accumulator instead of one of the carb ports. I will have to see if that was an error or intentional?

One good thing about removing the air pump is that the is more room up front to get to things like the fuel pump connections that will need to be bypassed when I blank it off.

So besides the caps for the air pump check valves, I need to buy a shorter belt for the alternator. To avoid guessing or trial and error, I took the original belt and put it back on the pulleys and put a pair of vice grips on the belt to tighten it up on the pulleys. It may look stupid, but I will take that to the parts store to get a belt to match the reduced size.