Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Steve, Comp-cam advices using the 'stock' 'O' lineup.
I was sure I had the crank key in the wrong (4 degrees advice, 4 Degrees retarded) on the cam sprocket. But I didn't. And last night as I was trying to go to sleep it finally dawned on me that if it's opposite ODT the cam would be 180 out with the distributor point to #1. The cam turns 1/2 turn to the crank's one turn. Should of pulled the distributor and turned it 180. I've never had an engine start with the distributor 180 out. Time to go put the water pump back on.
Like I've said before, my brain don't work (and other things) will while on pain meds and I do restrain from any adult beverage till I'm gathering my tools.
You would be surprised at the number of mechanics I have seen get this wrong...some more than once .
Sounds like you are on the right track now though.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #182
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Great thread, so much useful info even if you don't plan to yank the motor and rebuild. Hope you are feeling better Mel and you MH is ready to roll.
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #183
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks for all in input.
My problem is I keep asking people that claim 'to know' and because I've been 'away' from engine rebuilding for some time I tend to believe the 'to know'ers.
When I first got it running (w/oil pressure) and it ran like some plug wires were wrong. (Think it was 5-7 crossed) So, I asked and got the "Oh, you got the cam sprocket in the wrong key hole." So down we go with this 'cam's off' in mind and of course the cam timing was fine.
I made a BIG error back in 1997 by getting rid of all my shop manuals after I retired, disabled. Had this great plan to sell everything and hit the road. Got almost everything sold, but life happened, became the care giver for my patients.
I have it together again and it RUNS smooth! Of course, had to put a new thermostat in. The 195 degree (old one) didn't start to open on the stove till the water was in a rolling boil. Then I have a 'code' on the computer and for some reason my 'old' code reader decided to die on me. Having trouble getting the radiator to hoses to stop leaking. And as I was running it I pushed on the brake thinking I'd put her in gear and NO BRAKES! Have a leak somewhere in the rear brakes.
The wife decided to keep a dog that adapted her, so now I'm replacing fence I've been meaning to for the last 10 or so years after a grass fire destroyed it over 10 years ago.
I start getting some back injections Friday, so maybe I can get off some of these dang pain pills and maybe find a working brain.
I'll be gone most of April flying off to far away lands. Maybe one day in May will be that magic moment when rubber means road.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Glad to here you have it running. So was the problem the crossed plug wires?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #185
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

No advice today, just a sympathy note. Sorry for your misfourunes with the project.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #186
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

No advice today, just a sympathy note. Sorry for your misfourunes with the project.

Gary
Must have been the crossed wires. After I tore it apart and fixed it (wrong) then tore it apart a fixed it back (the way I had it) I got the wires on right and it runs.
Been side tracked on other things..... Back pain, microwave died(new one is the back of the car, old one is still over the stove), horse fence replacement (new dog won't stay inside old broken and brittle from grass fire so 10-15 years ago fencing), car maintenance, back maintenance (shot yesterday, no heavy lifting till Monday). I need to save my body for my trip next week to Louisiana and sleeping in tent.
Works will continue! Just the 'To Do' list keeps growing.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #187
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

Any updates?

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #188
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Mel,

Any updates?

Gary
Just got back from a bicycle ride (Cycle Zydeco) in Louisiana. Ran into a bunch of Airstreamer on caravan at the would famous 'Fred's Lounge' in Mamou, LA last Saturday.
Had to service the '01 Dodge 5.9: new thermostat, clean the battery post, check/clean the K&N filter. Well replace the K&N filter. A dang squirrel got in the air box, packed it full, eat thru the stainless steel mash and the filter medium. Time to go Squirrel hurting!

As far as an update:
I'm ready to vacuum down the A/C but can't find my R-134 adapter. Well pick one up today as I run around town.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #189
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

So the AC thing means the 454 lives and breathes?

Intake debris in a 5.9L, scarry stuff, hope it somehow didn't get into the big 6.

Gary
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #190
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Mel we saw the Cajun Rally participants too as we came home from Tennessee on Interstate 49. That is a great rally. We dropped our LY off at Premier RV this morning for the Banks Power Pack install. We got about 9.5mpg pulling the Taurus X on our trip to Tennessee. I don't look for big mpg pickup but it should give her more power to pull grades.
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well Mell a K&N is not much of a barrier to dirt or mice.

Perry

Quote:
Just got back from a bicycle ride (Cycle Zydeco) in Louisiana. Ran into a bunch of Airstreamer on caravan at the would famous 'Fred's Lounge' in Mamou, LA last Saturday.
Had to service the '01 Dodge 5.9: new thermostat, clean the battery post, check/clean the K&N filter. Well replace the K&N filter. A dang squirrel got in the air box, packed it full, eat thru the stainless steel mash and the filter medium. Time to go Squirrel hurting!

As far as an update:
I'm ready to vacuum down the A/C but can't find my R-134 adapter. Well pick one up today as I run around town.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #192
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
Mel we saw the Cajun Rally participants too as we came home from Tennessee on Interstate 49. That is a great rally. We dropped our LY off at Premier RV this morning for the Banks Power Pack install. We got about 9.5mpg pulling the Taurus X on our trip to Tennessee. I don't look for big mpg pickup but it should give her more power to pull grades.
I got the inlet for the Banks on my scrap trailer. Could have made you a right deal.
mel
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #193
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
She moved under her own power day Drove out into the yard, jacked her up, took the front wheels off and power washed 20+ years of grease off out from under the front of it. the A/C has 2 cans of juice in and no leaks(need more). The brakes still have a problem. Maybe with it all cleaned up I can find the brake leak (I'm thinking new master cylinder) and I still have the computer code light on. Maybe this week I can get the front finished and drive her to a 'code reader'. Not good idea to drive around w/o all the front bolted back together. the skin may peel off.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #194
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

You need to start a new thread to inquire as to how fast do you have to go to get the skin to peel off, should be a doozey!

Congrats with getting it moving under its own power and your PERSERVANCE Hoo Ray!

Code reader, assuming CEL MIL is on, how big of a piece of black tape do you need, I'll mail it today!

Nice job Mel.

Gary
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #195
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Mel,

You need to start a new thread to inquire as to how fast do you have to go to get the skin to peel off, should be a doozey!

Congrats with getting it moving under its own power and your PERSERVANCE Hoo Ray!

Code reader, assuming CEL MIL is on, how big of a piece of black tape do you need, I'll mail it today!

Nice job Mel.

Gary
Don't think I want to know the 'peel off' point

one of the first mods I did was to install TBI. The wiring harness connectors are all crimped (not soldered). So, now 10+ years later the connectors are failing and being I had the harness pulled back for the 4 times I had the engine in/out I'm sure another plug/pin/connector is open. A code reader will tell the story.
Need to take my cardboard pattern and start cutting me a new air dam and get this think on the road!
New sound proofing in the dog house is on my list now that the air cleaner housing and cruise control are rubbing the insulation off.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #196
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

Several years ago I had an '85 2.2L Caravan and believe it or not, I converted it from carb to fuel injection with a cyl head, manifolds, intake, fuel pump, misc stuff and I had to marry a 60 pin bulkhead harness from the TBI to a 40 pin harness from the carb. I did complete it and crimped, soldered and shrink wrapped those connectors, ran it for 4-5 years before trading it in. Couldn't hardly tell it wasn't factory with the carefull harness marriage I did.

Peel off test, it'd look like a bit fat tuna chasing a Prius trying to swallow it whole!

Get it Mel!

Gary
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #197
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Quote:
I got the inlet for the Banks on my scrap trailer. Could have made you a right deal.
mel
I am still considering that inlet kit that you have in your scrap pile. Would be interesting to know if you see a difference in gas mileage or power between it and your new intake. What is the right deal you are offering today.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #198
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
I am still considering that inlet kit that you have in your scrap pile. Would be interesting to know if you see a difference in gas mileage or power between it and your new intake. What is the right deal you are offering today.
Not sure how to compere fuel mileage, too many other changes. Massage me about the Banks inlet stuff. I'm going to be out of country for a couple weeks, but be back in May.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #199
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	183606
The air dam area must be redone because of the change in the air inlet. so brake out the old cardboard and after 3 tries I have a pattern.

Name:	IMAG0125.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	183607
The old air dam.

Name:	IMAG0127.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	183608
The new air dam

Name:	IMAG0128.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	183609
All installed. Not sure what to do about the mess on the right with all the wires and hoses coming out. I'm adding foam to block as much air into the radiator as I can. Had to replace the defrost ducts. Would like in insulate them. Maybe when I redo the dog house insulation I'll get something to wrap the defroster duct with.

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	183610
Now I need to repair part of the plastic/fiberglass fairing before I can continue. Fiberglass cloth and PVC cement works will for this. This is what holds the radiator overflow tank together and I've repaired gray/black water tanks this way too.
Now I'll be out of pocket till May.
Cheers!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #200
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

Well it's been a while, how's it running?

Gary